Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Harmony Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Jun 20, 2009.

1. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    Mine is a Silvertone, not sure if this is the right place. But it well could me. A Silvertone 1427, from the mid 50s:

p1_uiy25svqb_so.jpg

The luck here was that it came to me in great condition, at a great price, though with a fingerboard separating from the neck. Thanks to the excellent work of my luthier friend George, the fingerboard issue was solved. New, larger frets, inlays. New nut. New, handcarved ebony bridge. One p/u repaired (not rewound), as something was loose in there. Solid endpin installed, new strap pin added near the neck, on the side. Small phase toggle switch added, tucked inside the lower f hole.

It's the best playing archtop I've ever had. Even unplugged, has the coolest sound. Plugged in, can go some mighty wild places.

bottlenecker likes this.

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    LGOberean

Just like to say you and I share the same first guitar. From what I see on the pic you got off the net mine was identical, the only difference was mind didn't have "Harmony' on the pick-guard. I got it new in 1963 for my birthday from my parents from a place called "United Jewelers" that was considered a wholesale store that sold all kind of merchandise. They also bought my first shotgun from them. After I learned to play cords pretty good, a little lead, instead of buying a solid body electric, I just bought Kent Pickups that was two pickups built into a pick-guard with a vol, tone and input jack on the pick-guard. That was my first electric. I sold that guitar years latter to a childhood friend.

Amazing about you living across the street from the beginnings of Bubble Puppy. I've always been intrigued with "Sweet Smoke a Sassafras". I remember that song very well and recall they were touring when that song was out as a warmup band for Stepping Wolf.

I latter got my first Solid body electric from a musician friend of mine that was an Airline. Like you I borrowed a pix off the net of the exact model below that I got a Silvertone 1482 Amp to run it over:
    AirlineGuitar[1].jpg
    I did get another Harmony years later that I still have that is a Harmony Lap Steel. It's got the famous Gibson P-13 Pickup. Harmony help launch a
    lot of budding guitarist in the 50's and 60's. I have good happy memories about my first Harmony. Platefire
    Harmony Lap Steel 003.jpg
    Harmony Lap Steel 004.jpg

3. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Some in the group may view this as sacrilegious, but here goes the guitar has a history

Picture 001.jpg

So Lemmy showed up at the flat clutching this bin bag and inside was this wreck of a guitar with a 5 rusty strings on it - the electrics were shot, the body was held together (mostly) with epoxy where it existed at all , the machine heads were all bent out of shape the frets were all notched to hell. As for the Bigsby umm.... It has been well played (completely thrashed) as only Lemmy could - I had been keeping his Rickenbacker Bases going for a couple of years by then using curious if not downright dangerous technique of using hot switch cleaner to roast the sweat out of the pickups. He said "Can you have a go at it I think a wire has fallen off one of the pickups". So the next day we went off to France on what became the No Sleep till Hammersmith Tour and it all got forgotten about as these things do.

So it ended up residing forgotten about in my loft for about the next 30 years. One day I was up there and pulled this thing out - still in the same bin bag and bought it downstairs. Looking at it I thought to myself I wonder if I can make this thing play, went the the store got some strings and loaded it up. This guitar was a disaster area , the bridge collapsed and then the nut was completely shot on top of everything else.

But I had started, and the basic structure of the guitar was actually very sound at the heel joint, so I stripped the thing apart and started cleaning it up and piecing it together - I followed the same "restoration" pattern that had been used on it before - well epoxy does stick to epoxy quite well. Surprisingly it did scrub up nicely and underneath it all there was a proper instrument trying to get out. Went out and got some hardware, the original bridge was never going to come together, so an Archtop Tunomatic went on it, the Bisby got changed out for a 335 tailpiece and I put a set of Grovers on the head. It was starting to shape up but still wasn't very playable. The neck was straight, but the frets were like barbed wire and just as flat, and the Tunomatic had a sting pitch that was about half an inch too wide. Took it up the road to these two old school Luthiers who looked at me like I was mad, but they stoned down the frets, scalloped the nut to salvage it as it turned out to be Ivory and put some bridge notches in the right place. Took it home and set it up and to my amazement this was actually a very playable instrument, bit boxy perhaps but had a nice feel to it with such a great narrow neck

I plugged it in and it was certainly very quiet. So went out and got a 335 wiring kit and a nice Switchcraft pickup selector switch and managed to get some semblance of noise out of it. Lemmy was right, a wire had fallen off the bridge pickup - it was called the coil. Rather than attempt to fix it at this stage, I got my hands on a P90 and dropped that on just to get it moving again and all of a sudden this wonderful guitar sprung back into life. Plugged into a little Class A 5W amp it just sang. So took that 1961 Rowe Industries bridge pickup off to the guys at Wild Guitars and got their guy to do a stock rewind on it. The difference between that and the P90 was simply staggering.

All of the old bits went in a jiffy bag and Just maybe one day i'll do a full restoration on it but at the moment I am resisting the temptation just to drop the neck pickup on a Tele and see where that goes, but the guitar has a history and a story and it feels wrong use it for transplants.

IMG_0149.JPG

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    My first guitar was a Harmony Archtone just like the one pictured. Thanks for the posting it. If I remember correctly, the 'binding' was painted on. I put a DeArmond pickup on mine and played it through a Wollensak reel to reel tape recorder. I didn't like the tone so I mounted the pickup over a shim I made and moved it closer to the bridge. That held me until I joined with a few classmates to form a band and bought my first 'real' electric guitar, a Gibson Melody Maker, and an Ampeg Reverbrocket amp. What I wouldn't give to have those now! Thanks for bringing back the memories of starting out with a girl, a guitar, and a garage band. They're all good ones.

5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Even aside from it's history, I think it'd be a shame to take that pickup off. Those sound so good on plywood hollowbodies.

6. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    Rest assured it now has both 1961 Rowes back on it - they ain't going anywhere as it's a lovely player, and I am on the hunt for more early Rowe goldfoils knowing I have have someone who can do a decent restoration job on them.

The challenge with this guitar was (for now) make it into a playable enjoyable instrument which it certainly is. The original bridge bugs me tho - anybody got a spare Byrdland bridge sitting in the drawer as that is the perfect fit ............................ IMG_1041.JPG

This is it as of a couple of minutes ago

7. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London

and the rest of it is here awaiting the day

IMG_1042.JPG

Tone Eee likes this.

8. sliceopie

sliceopie TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2010
    los angeles
    hey harmony club - love the thread. i'm trying to source the jack plate for a 1956 stratotone. any ideas?

9. knockeduptele

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    A patient ebay trawl is probably the way to do it - I picked up an original diamond switch surround for the Meteor above for a dollar (nobody else bid but this was in the UK) That then inspired me to go get a Kluson tailpiece to start to get it closer to original as the original (maybe) Bigsby was shot. There are a few guys out there brokering parts - I balked at 30 bucks a knob and went with the Allparts cupcake remake from someone holding stock in France - not a restoration but something playable getting closer to the original feel

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I started this thread as a tribute to the Chicago-based Harmony company of yesteryear. But earlier this year at Winter NAMM, a new company sporting the Harmony brand debuted some guitars and amps. According to Guitar World's gear news release, this is an American company based in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The guitars are dubbed the Silhouette, Rebel and Jupiter, but while the names of mid-twentieth century Harmony electrics are used, the guitars are not strict reissues. Here's what the guitars look like. So far, the website for the new company gives no specs or prices.

[​IMG]

11. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I was looking for videos of these new Harmony guitars. In the pic above (in my previous post) the one in the middle is the new "Silhouette." I like the look of that one the best of the three, but to me, a Harmony Silhouette should look like this...

Hopefully, BandLab/Harmony will reissue a Harmony Silhouette H19.

brookdalebill and knockeduptele like this.

12. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    Harmony2.JPG I own a Harmony bass, if thats okay with you folks?

13. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    Was just watching the Sound Breaking series and saw the Amy Winehouse segment. I heard it before I saw it, but the guitar player was using same guitar as mine H 74 neo cutaway w/bixby. Really unique tone.

65 Harmony.JPG

bottlenecker and brookdalebill like this.

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    It's okay...Honest, Charley! :twisted:

Honest Charley likes this.

15. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    1964 when I was fifteen I was severly bitten by the Hot Rod-bug! Hence my nick, Honest Charley. :D

16. Niels Munster

Niels Munster NEW MEMBER!

Sep 15, 2018
    Denmark
    Hello everyone,

I have a Harmony H49 that I simply love to bits. Its miniscule size contradicts the larger-than-life tones it emits - alongside twangs and squeals. I would, however, like to do a bit of work on its guts. All knobs and switches sit on the coverplate - the three-way pickup selector, however, isn't mounted on the plate, but sits tightly secured to the body. I have attempted to remove it using the cloth-method, but it just won't budge. I reeeeally don't want to accidentally break anything. Thusly, I now turn to you, seeing as you appear to be one of the most competent internet forums in the realm of guitars: How do I properly remove this knob, so that I can take off the coverplate?

Kind regards,
    Niels

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

Thanks!

18. Tone Eee

Tone Eee Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Here are mine: a 66 Bobkat, and a 65 Rocket.
    Those goldfoils are the bee's knees
    IMG_20180916_180631289.jpg IMG_20180916_180654958.jpg

bottlenecker and brookdalebill like this.

19. jed mac

jed mac TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Halifax
    66 harmony rocket. It was a dream come true for me. IMG_4569.JPG

voodooblues likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.