Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Harmony Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    65 H74 Neo Cutaway. Pristine condition. Just used on a gig last night. 65 Harmony.JPG

brookdalebill and Zepfan like this.
  2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    That's a beauty Marc!

Marc Muller likes this.
  3. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    As I understand it, the original owner bought this, an Ampeg Reverberockt 2, a pitch pipe, strap, metronome, cable AND an Orpheum Fuzz box to learn how to play around 66. Gave it up soon after, put in his closet where it stayed until I bought the whole thing for $500 almost 20 years ago. All in like new condition. Amazing find.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    WOW! Congrats again Marc. Amazing find is true, yet still an understatement! Do you play the H74 through the Reverbrocket? How does (or did) the fuzz sound?

I've been blessed to be the recipient of quite a few 'amazing deals' myself over the years, (a thread on amazing finds would be cool) so I Love, love, LOVE hearing others tell of their finds.

Marc Muller likes this.
  5. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    Produced this in 2003. Harmony thru Ampeg, amp distortion, not fuzz box. I'm playing electric guitars, pedal steel, fretless bass, drums, and keys. Nice tune by Dave Murphy.

this is from the other night with Dave. Thru pro Jr. Only fx is verb w/slightest of delay.

syrynx likes this.
  6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I actually had an hour or so yesterday where I felt good enough to delve into the 1421.

Looks like the jack has seen it's better day and the ground wire insulation has deteriorated a bit and is touching the hot intermittently causing a short. So, I will solder up a new one to get it working properly.

Restrung it and did a bit of adjusting....still needs some fine tuning on the action, but it's very playable as is. sounds cool unplugged and even cooler plugged in! still have to clean the pots (can't find Caig Detox-it around here!) and switcher ready to roll by tomorrow so I can play it onstage in a blues setting.

7. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Thanks for the update, BB.
    I have an old Harmony H45 (this is the single pick up model) that I enjoy playing a lot,
    especially in a blues setting.
    My theory: Many of what we consider those old classic Chicago blues recordings were likely played on old Harmony, Silvertone or Kay guitars.
    Get those old pots cleaned out really well and I'm sure it will have been worth the trouble.

8. edouglaspratt

edouglaspratt TDPRI Member

May 29, 2011
    Cashiers, NC
    Marc, thanks for posting your music. You sound great keepin the technology minimal, fantastic tone, and you'r technique is impressive. Got some traditional Blues to post?

Doug

Marc Muller likes this.
  9. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    Thanks much. I'm more of a hippie jazz guy. My stuff (w/Victor Wooten on bass) https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/marcmuller

LGOberean likes this.
  10. markkatharris

markkatharris TDPRI Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Uk, England
    Hi

Just seen this group and want to add a Harmony H59 Rocket. This guitar came into our workshop in a sorry state. It was brought in by the son of the owner as it had been silent for many years.
    The electrics had water damaged.
    The guitar had been painted with a water based paint
    From what I can tell some of the hardware had been replaced.
    Fretboard is worn and tired. Not much fret material left.

The son doesn't have a lot of funds to play with and so it's going to become a very long term project but first priority was to get it singing again.
    We rewired and attempting to replace the selector - we decided to work on the original selector as the configuration on the H59 didn't combine pickups and trying to wire a mondern 4 way selector was way above my skill level (any advice here would be warmly accepted).
    Anyways the guitar was brought back to life having stayed silent for 20+ years.
    It plays like a dream and the pickups are so unique it was hard giving the guitar back.
    The next phase is to sort out the tuners, nut and bridge. From what I've read the tuners should be made by Waverly but these are almost unusable. Could anyone tell me if these are waverly and if so can they be reconditioned.

IMG_6046.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6061.JPG
    IMG_6064.JPG

Zepfan likes this.
  11. edouglaspratt

edouglaspratt TDPRI Member

May 29, 2011
    Cashiers, NC
    Thanks, Mark. You seem to have the patience it takes. In my limited experience, these old Harmonys are a challenge to repair. The parts are unique, as I think you're discovering. Replace a pot and the knob will not fit, for example. So I'm collecting junkers just to have a supply of parts.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Got a chuckle out of that "hippie jazz guy" remark. Conjured up some interesting mental images, like Jerry Garcia meets Joe Pass, or Pat Metheny in a tie-dyed T-shirt instead of horizontal stripes...

13. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Happy Father’s Day to all the TDPRI/Harmony enthusiast fathers out there!

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I recently found out about a Mustache/Diamond Gold Foil pickup made by Klein Pickups. https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-447-mustache-diamond-gold-foil.aspx

The look of it is somewhat similar to the DeArmond mustache pups that were in my Dad's Harmony Silhouette. But the construction is no doubt different. Those old pups had adjustable pole pieces, whereas the Kleins are dressed up Firebird pups, if I've understood correctly.

No real point to all of this. I was looking at Klein pickups for Teles, and came across the page for their mustache pups. And I thought that if I were to discuss them, this thread would be a good place for that.

15. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
  16. blues

blues Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2003
    Pa
  17. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I meant to reply to this, but the next day was my birthday, and I got distracted. Checking back in just now, I realized that I never got around to that intended reply. And now the pic is unavailable. Is the thing with the pic just a temporary glitch?

18. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    My first electric guitar was a Harmony Rocket single pickup model. It took me from a folk guitar and made me a rock n roller. I moved on to a Mustang and other solid bodies, but over the years I've migrated back to semi-hollow bodies, especially single coil types.
    If Harmony offered a good quality Rocket I'd try one, if nothing for old times sake.

19. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Lately I've been thinking about "collecting." I haven't owned that many guitars in my life, and my current "collection" is a modest one, as in 9 guitars. But in terms of collecting, I have neither the funds nor the inclination to collect high dollar/big name brand guitars. The "vintage" or "collectible" guitars that catch my interest are the guitars my Dad had when I was a boy, the first guitars I ever played: Harmony H1213, Stella by Harmony H929 and a Harmony Silhouette H19.

For a while, I actually tried to locate these guitars, going into pawn shops, searching CL, ebay, etc. I've yet to find one locally, and they were scare even in online sources, and somewhat pricey. Considering that they'd probably need some work done just added to the expense, and quite frankly discouraged me. In May of this year, I bought a Gretsch Jim Dandy G9500. It looks a lot like my Dad's 1961 Stella, and the price I paid for it was less than the H929s I saw on ebay. The Jim Dandy has the look, and it has the honky voice of a parlor, but it didn't completely assuage my desire to own a Stella.

There is a question in here somewhere. I have to weigh out the personal/sentimental factor for myself, but in terms of cost, is collecting old Harmony guitars a costly investment? As in buy the instrument, then invest in repairs/restoration?

That's my impression at this point. I am by no means a luthier, or even a modder, so things like neck resets would mean paying somebody else to do the restoration work after the purchase price of the instrument. Or, in the case of the Silhouette, finding parts, re-wiring, etc. after the purchase. I'm not expecting others to tell me if it will be worth it to me, since that is a subjective assessment. But am I right in thinking that it will be an expensive proposition, as in paying initially a price comparable to a current production instrument, only to add to that chasing down parts and expensive restoration work?

20. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.