Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Harmony Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Jun 20, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I would like to start a Harmony Guitars Club thread as a tribute to the instruments that got me started playing guitar. Since a lot of American players got a similar start, I figure a club thread is in order.

The first guitar I played was a Harmony Archtone archtop guitar, an acoustic jazz guitar. It was my father’s guitar. He had it around for I don’t know how many years before I picked it up, so I don’t know specifically the model and the year, and I don’t have any pics of the guitars from that time. Mom may have some somewhere, but getting them from her, scanning them, etc. is not something I can do right now, so I found some pics online that show what I’m talking about.

This first pic shows a 1965 brown sunburst Harmony Archtone acoustic jazz guitar with an archtop/archback and f-holes. This one is essentially what I started on, though I don’t know the precise year model of mine/my Dad’s.
    [​IMG]

Furthermore, what I played didn’t have the pickguard, but for a while it did have the mounting bracket, much like the one in this pic.
    [​IMG]

The first electric I played was also a Harmony, a Silhouette, as in the pic below.
    [​IMG]

This has a little more interesting story to it. After I’d been playing a few months on Dad’s acoustic jazz guitar, he agreed to buy me an electric. The neighbor across the street had a son that was starting a band, and they had an electric guitar at their house to sell (it wasn’t their son’s, but a friend’s and/or a band mate’s). Both of these long-haired guys were there, and one even played the guitar a little bit to demo it for us. Dad played it, too. I was offered a go with it, but I was far too new a player to feel comfortable playing in front of these guys in a Rock band.

The guitar was a Harmony Silhouette. The neighbor’s son was Rod Prince, co-founder of the group The Bubble Puppy (their biggest hit, in 1968, I think, was “Hot Smoke and Sassafras”).

Now, about this club thread, who else has stories, specs and/or pics of Harmony (or Airline, Silvertone, etc.) guitars to share?

Zaxxon likes this.

2. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

May 24, 2009
    Arizona USA
    my 1970

my dad gave me a 1970 harmony H6362
    sovereign he got it in 1970 or 71,you see me holding it posing with a car I had. the car was a 1973 plymouth satellite my dad gave me but i sold it like a dumass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zaxxon likes this.

3. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ah, the Harmony H1203 Sovereign. There were feature variations through the years of production. Early models didn’t have pickguards, had a more “hourglass” shape, etc.

Early (undated) Harmony H1203 Sovereign
    [​IMG]

1962 Harmony H1203 Sovereign
    [​IMG]

1971 Harmony H1203 Sovereign
    [​IMG]

Hmmm...from your pic, it looks like that Sovereign has white bridge pins. The Sovereigns I've seen had pinless bridges. I’ve never seen a bridge pin variation before. Am I just seeing things? Or was that a stock feature for the 1970 model, or perhaps a modification?

4. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

May 24, 2009
    Arizona USA
    harmony

I thought it was a 1203 too but that was one we used to have. my dad told me this is an h6362 so i looked and it is. i found a website that tells about it
    http://harmony.demont.net/model/179.htm
    whats weird is my dad said he got it in 70 or 71 and in the guitar it says S71 but the website says 1972-1975. i guess the websites arent always right huh.
    my dad always likes the kind with the pins and the f hole kind with the trapeze type of string holders. in the last 2 years he has sold like 20 or 30 guitars and maybe 15 or 20 amps serious. I keep sayling whats left for me and he says whatever i can afford,lol. but he still has a bunch. I have a les paul and the harmony and a gibson melody maker he gave me .he gave me a telecaster to but i sold it. i want to get another one. when my dad gets his eyerquire i want to order a tele from mr bob and i want to get one of the harmony rockets. my dad sold a couple of them one red like most i have seen and a black one which i thought was really cool. he had one he called a jupiter and he had one with the really skinny pickups that looked like pincels.and others some were pretty sweet

5. elmerbumpkin

elmerbumpkin Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2006
    A-TX
    I have an old Harmony 6 string lapsteel, gold with a 'deco-ish' fretboard. Started learning my way around a C6 on that thing, and I still play it from time to time.

6. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Mar 24, 2009
    BAJA

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Kevin, I know that website. I’ve got it bookmarked. And your right, websites aren’t always right. That said, that particular website is pretty reliable. This thread would not be complete with mention of it, so here is the link for the Harmony Guitars Database (http://harmony.demont.net/).

Also, this thread would obviously not be complete without a link to the website for The Original Harmony Guitar Company, Inc. (http://harmonyguitars.com/).

8. elmerbumpkin

elmerbumpkin Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2006
    A-TX
    cool, that link had my lapsteel in the big pic of guitars, here is the link to the model I have.

and thanks for posting that, I've often wondered what the details were to my guitar.

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    You’re welcome. I’m glad to have this valuable resource posted in this thread.

Let’s attach some pics of your model of lapsteel, so they can be a part of this thread’s info.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    K son of eyerish, I was just re-reading that web page, and noticed that for the productions years of the H6362, they listed 72-75, but then added parenthetically "(other years possible, not verified)." So it's certainly possible that your dad's recollection is right, they leave room for that in their stated info.

Let's put up another pic of that guitar.

[​IMG]

11. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

May 24, 2009
    Arizona USA
    Hello Larry (wasn't that a tv show? LOL)

Hi Larry
    This is Robert(eyerish)

I remember I was at a music store in Los angeles My Grandmother and I were actually looking at pianos.

I overheard a salesman talking to a guy. He was saying something to the effect of(almost 40 years so may be paraphrasing a bit).

You just bought this you sure you want to trade? The guy traded this for a Teisco electric. I remember that,as it was a bright blue one,my favorite color.

I then went and checked it out(the h6362) and bought it before it even left the counter. The store was the one who originally sold it and withen a few months took the trade. It had a paper thin gigbag, I kept for many years then 5 or so years ago I bought that chipboard case for it and gave it to my son(K).

My birthday is in March. I would say my G-mother and I were piano shopping late 71 early 72 then. It has the S71 in the soundhole and even now sounds pretty darn good.

Harmony was an excellent maker of guitars. They made stuff for Fender and Gibson as well as others.

I had some of the Rockets and one of the Rebels. I miss those Rockets. Great guitars. I had many harmony's over the years and who knows may chase one or two down again,LoL.

The only thing DeArmond I have now is an old DeArmond volume pedal that I have had for nearly 40 years. The paint is all warn off and the new color scheme is rust and bare metal,hmmm lovely,LoL. Hey it still works so what the heck,right? I also have a DeArmond floating Mandolin pickup that I bought from Merle Haggard. It doesn't work now because sometime in the last few years the wire leading from the phono tip to the volume control was pulled apart. It can be repaired of course,but I don't own a mandolin now so I don't worry about it.

12. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I also have a 1965 harmony archtone. Possibly made on the same day! :D
    Small world, eh?
    I would NOT call it a jazz guitar, it's my favorite bluesbox.

13. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

May 24, 2009
    Arizona USA
    The thread wont let me edit. So I am adding this. a friend of mine who read what I posted earlier about the DeArmond stuff got ahold of me to remind me of two things.
    1, That I am a boob(he's right)
    2, I got the Mandolin pickup not from Merle haggard but from Waylon Jennings. I bought a mandolin(a harmony A style 1970 by the way) it had the pickup on it. The neck was broke and rather than pay to fix(more than the mando was worth) I returned the mando and bought just the pickup. So Waylon not Merle,My bad. this is not a picture of the one i bought from Mister jennings but it is what that one looked like(except with a deArmond floating pickup) Oh I will also add that I bought another harmony mandolin just like the pick but in that rebel green burst that Harny did and it was one of the many instruments stolen out of my storage in November of 2005
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    You're kidding! How have I not heard of this before? :eek:

Well, come to think of it, we didn't have a TV from the late 70s to the late 80s, so if this show aired during that time frame, I wouldn't have seen it. Still kind of surprising that no one's ever brought it up to me before.

15. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

May 24, 2009
    Arizona USA
    Hello Larry

Hello Larry

heres an IMDB link about it I found.
    Later
    Robert(eyerish)
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0078623/

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yup, I called it. Hello, Larry was released in 1979 and only ran two seasons. Right in the time frame when we had no TV. Might be a kick to track down some episodes. I always liked McLean Stevenson.

Okay, moving on. Back to the topic at hand.

17. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Here’s an item of Harmony interest. Roots/blues artist J. J. Cale (“After Midnight,” “Cocaine,” “Crazy Mama,” covered by Eric Clapton and Lynyrd Skynyrd) says that his favorite guitar is his Harmony. And you can tell it’s a Harmony by the headstock, but aside from that you’d have to take Cale’s word for it, because he’s modified the body beyond all recognition.

It started life as a round sound hole, flat top acoustic Harmony. Cale filled in the sound hole and started adding pickups…and adding pickups…and adding pickups. A total of five, as a matter of fact. One of those was a Dan Electro “bar type” from a Sears Silvertone guitar. The other four “are Gibson, two of which are low impedance for recording direct.”

In addition to the pickups, Cale has added an array of control plates, knobs and switches, and took the back off to facilitate “easier access to the electronics.”

I first saw and read about Cale’s “Harmony” in the May (?) 1977 Guitar Player issue. He was on the cover with that thing, and the feature article was about him. Here are some pics, starting with the cover of that GP issue.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

edouglaspratt likes this.

18. Buck@r00

Buck@r00 Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2006
    Kathleen GA
    I was excited a few years ago when Harmony reissued the Sovereign. I knew JC Penny carried them. I was hoping to get one and repaint it in the Buck Owens style. Imagine my suprise when I looked in the Christmas catalog and found out they had done it for me.

Attached Files:

19. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Has anybody here played a Harmony H310? Better yet, does anybody here own one? This one’s really caught my eye and caused GAS big time! (Funny mixed metaphor, now that I actually see it in print!)

If you’re not familiar with this model, here’s what you’re missing: archtop, f-hole, solid spruce top; solid flame maple back, flame maple neck; ebony fretboard, bridge and tailpiece; gold hardware; floating mini humbucker, a single volume control mounted in the pickguard; 25 ½ scale neck, 20 frets; the color is listed as “brown” but it sure looks sunburst to me. Check it out at this web page.

http://harmonyguitars.com/ProductLi...DA7341625A59C6A666B77A065E15E183B25D3C20D34E0

And here are a few pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has been favorably reviewed online by one reviewer at Harmony Central. But I’m hoping to get more input, particularly from fellow Harmony Guitars Club members/TDPRIers.

20. AtlantaSpike

AtlantaSpike TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Atlanta
    Here's my Harmony H-62. A nice clean example, and a fine jump blues machine. I've had 2 or 3 of these, but managed to just hang on to this one. Silly me. They are quite 'spensive now.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.