Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Harley Benton copy of "The Prinz"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MaskedRider, Oct 18, 2013.

1. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

On both my orders the tracking lagged by a few days: both guitars got to me 3 or 4 days earlier than projected. That's OK with me, I don't mind not waiting a few days for a new guitar. :D

I bought the TE-80 NT on April 21. it arrived on May 4, keep in mind I'm on the west coast of Canada, it's a long journey.

Last edited: May 26, 2016

2. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    With everything I've bought from overseas, there was almost no tracking information other than it leaving the country of origin, and arriving in the US. The problem I have is that the USPS requires you to sign for these packages, and if you're not there to do so, sends it back to the post office where you can pick it up after waiting in ridiculously long lines the following day. They dont care if you leave a note. I have everything shipped to my dad's, as he's semi-retired, but even so he runs errands, walks the dog, works out in his garden. It's really helpful to know what day something will be delivered.

3. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

20160606_180217.jpg
    20160606_185904.jpg

She arrived today! Came with a nice leopard approximation pickguard.

The Wilkinson pickups sound great! They aren't going anywhere! Total Prince tone. I used black sharpie to color over the annoying white font on them and put a set of 11s and a 0.001 uF treble bleed and got the pickup heights adjusted and this thing is AMAZING. For 200 bucks, I can't even believe it.

My little QC complaints:

The control plate is actually seated in the edge of the cavity on one side so the screw is only making contact with wood on half of it. That will be a pain to fix and since it works as is will probably just be a hidden eccentricity until it causes functional problems.

The string guides are squeaky when bending. The notes are in tune and you can't hear it through an amp, but it's "cheap" sounding :).

Aside from that, frets were perfectly level outta the box (!!!!!), nut is good, quiet switches and pots and the finish is great.

Mine weighs 8.5 lbs and isn't unbearable to lift.

Loving this guitar!

Superrock and bender66 like this.

4. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    Yours came with the leopard guard?! Thought they were only doing the red.

Mine had the screw issue as well. Havent bothered to fix it yet.

songtalk likes this.

5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

It had the red tortoise on it and it had the yellow leopard replacement in the box. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Loving this guitar. Excellent tones.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    bender66 likes this.

6. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    Damn, how do I get a yellow guard?

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I have no idea. My best guess is that the new shipment (after he died) included "tribute" pickguards.

All I know is it saved me some money on an aftermarket pickguard.

8. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    Mine arrived a few days ago, also with the extra yellow plates.
    It's a heavy bugger - must be near 10lbs.
    One little mark in the finish on the front and the tone pot is junky - it works but feels broken. The bridge is pretty bad - the saddle intonation screws are mounted so high on the plate they rattle all the time. I don't like the feel of the neck, but the fretwork and nut look fine for the price.
    None of that would matter as I had planned to strip it of everything and just use the body, however mine has a pancake/butcher-block body. While the back looks fine, on one edge there is a horizontal join. So there must be an ash cap on the back.

9. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    Interesting. I would consider returning that one.

10. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    It's all packed up waiting for the return label.

11. Marco3key

Marco3key TDPRI Member

May 28, 2016
    Rijswijk Netherlands
    The new comming batch at the 15 th of june will not have the extra pickguard.I even ask Thomann to send the pickguard with it for extra cost but they say they don`t have it..

12. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Whelp...
    image.jpg

songtalk and Marco3key like this.

13. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    I asked them if I could get a pickguard for mine since I ordered it right before the swap. They had no idea what I was talking about.

I actually dont mind keeping mine red, differentiates it from the real thing. But I'd like to have the option.

Marco3key likes this.

14. Lucretia

Lucretia Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2009
    Leeds, UK
    Is that a celluloid acetate on the left and scattered throughout?

Is the PDF of the hb plastics correct?

bender66 likes this.

15. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    image.jpg
    Celluloid set.

I purposefully left the holes undrilled so someone can match there's EXACTLY.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    songtalk likes this.

16. Lucretia

Lucretia Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2009
    Leeds, UK
    is this based on the hb PDF that's been linked here before?

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    These are cnc'd from my HB TE80 templates. I believe Frederik provided the previous ones you're referring to. I also have a set from him & they fit beautifully.

18. Polish John

Polish John TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Yonkers, NY
    Mine came in yesterday, also with the extra yellow guards. It's heavy but not as heavy as I expected based on other people's accounts.

Mine has a very nice flame on the top. Can't wait to get a proper looking guard set on there.

songtalk and Marco3key like this.

19. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    How come everyone is getting the yellow guards and Thomann swears they dont exist!

songtalk, Marco3key and bender66 like this.

20. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    The shipping agents are putting them in after they're sold.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.