Harlan Howard (Waylon style)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by falcon5romeo, Jun 17, 2016.

1. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I've recently become obsessed with Waylon's versions of Harlan Howard songs (what an incredible songwriter that guy is!!!). Waylon's playing on these late 60s albums (specifically Heartaches by the Number, full of Harlan songs) is beautiful, and very different from his later stuff in the 70s. No phaser pedal, no distortion, just jangly, twangy clean tele sounds! My question for you guys is in regards to this song:

All you need to listen to is the intro to understand what I'm talking about. Do you think this is multiple guitar tracks playing together, or is this just one track? It sounds so jangly and full and bright, and fills the space so well. I'd love to get this sound, but I think it has a lot more to do with the actual picking technique than anything else. Could anybody shed some light on this for me? I know Waylon's a hell of a picker, but some of those licks sound a little TOO fast for just one guitar to be doing it all....

2. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Kinda hard to tell, but with what I know from only daddy thatll walk the line it probably is two tracks. Though i am not sure, intro probably one lead. Also its probably wayne mosa not waylon playing lead. Waylon could play lead, but i have seen him play his own solos and fills live he was liable to mess up on occassion. I think in the studio wayne moss played them.

3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I'm curious about that album. Was it ever reissued on CD (here or overseas)?

I am also a fan of some of Waylon's earlier work, specifically the circa 1964 LP Love of the Common People.

It's somewhat typical of the older way of recording albums in Nashville, there's a wide
    variety of styles and songs presented, from Lennon/McCartney to Mel Tillis. Waylon is accompanied by session players and sometimes background singers, but it's a testament to his artistry that his
    performance still shines through some of the clutter.

4. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I have it on vinyl, and I got the cd from a guy on ebay for like $5. Search ebay, you should find it.

I know Waylon didn't usually play lead on the albums, I'm just curious about the technique. Impossible to find tabs to old stuff like this.

5. 4 Cat Slim

Thanks for the information. The late Harlan Howard and I share a birthday, but I have none of his talent.

If you're not familiar with the Waylon LP I mentioned, I think you'd enjoy it.

There are quite a few different guitar tones on it as well-- 12 String Guitar, High-String Guitar,
    a song that sounds like it's played in open tuning, and the sounds of dobro, Teles, and nylon strings.

It's probably worth mentioning that in the early to mid 1960s, Nashville's record men threw a lot of things against the wall, hoping for that sound that would catch the listener's attention and make a hit record, so you had things like the trumpets on Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire, to name just one example.

Those times seemed so much more adventurous, compared to the sounds produced nowadays.

6. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Absolutely! I was just thinking the other day that Waylon's 60s stuff sounds more like a folk/americana sound than true country. Not much swing, not much honky tonk, just good driving songs. And I say most of those melodies are as much fun to sing along to as early Beatles. Seems he traded in his harmonica player for Ralph Mooney in the early 70s and just stuck with his new 'outlaw' sound. I love that sound too, especially live, but his 60s stuff is so broad and eclectic, like you mentioned. What I would give to just spend some time hanging out with Harlan, Waylon, Willie, all those Nashville cats in the mid 60s...so much tone, melody and great storytelling songs.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  7. 4 Cat Slim

I can't agree with you more. I remember listening to Waylon so long ago and enjoying his music. I was unaware of his connection to Buddy Holly at the time, I just knew he was a very good singer.
    I was glad to see him re-emerge in the early 1970s and see his later success.

I, too, wish I could've sat down with the likes of Waylon, Harlan, Willie and Roger Miller for a
    round of beers at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in the 1960s. Those guys really lived it and wrote about it.

8. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Can anybody else chime in? If I can't get any help here I don't know I ever will!

9. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

My ears hear one track, with some reverb. But you're right, there's something more going on. Maybe they've tuned down a 12-string so that the notes are the same, but with a bit more presence and a hint of harmonics? Or maybe they've taken the original track, doubled it, and are playing it in parallel a micro-second behind?

(Pure guesswork on my part.)

wayloncash likes this.
  10. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

some bluegrass double pickin going on.

11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I hear a rhythm and a lead guitar - healthy splash of reverb and some handy picking and it's all there!

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Personally, that is a guitar sound that drives me far away.....thin, harsh, too much splash in the reverb. IMho, it ruins any chance the song had of being listenable. YMMV...
    I like some of Waylon's music...I grew up a block away from his parents house in Littlefield, Tx. I got my first dog bite in that backyard. His mom was a sweet lady. The last time I saw her I played "Amanda" for her....at her request. I enjoy some of Waylon's music, but that song is not one that I can listen to.
    Here is one from the '60's that I still enjoy....

13. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Part of it is Waylon's steel player, Ralph Mooney. This is a studio version and there are probably lots of guitary. Heck, Reggie Young me even be on the record. Back in the mid 70's our band played lots of Waylon and Willie songs. We still do "Only Daddy..."

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I sing that tune in one of my bands. Cool tune, no doubt.

A lot of that track features a Jazzmaster, my favorite Fender guitar! No wonder it sounds good.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

could that just be fret buzz from low action?

16. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Actually I went and listened to it on my vinyl copy last night and it was a lot clearer. Most of what was confusing me was just the rhythm guitar swimming in reverb/delay, and mixing with the lead until they're inseperable. On vinyl, it just sounds like a simple lead lol

17. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

That sure sounds like Roy Orbison doing background vocals. Never noticed that before.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.