Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hardware polishing and maintenance on a Classic Vibe Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by BadCane, Jul 11, 2017.

1. BadCane

BadCane NEW MEMBER!

Jul 11, 2017
    Brasil
    Hello everyone

I bought a Squier Classic Vibe Tele Butterscotch Blonde at the end of this year's April. I am shocked and so sad that the knob plate and the neck pickup are alread losing the brightness they had when I had just bought the Tele. I'd like to ask you guys for tips on how to clean this hardware pieces and maybe try to get it look back close to mint condition.

It is is important to notice that I would not be sad or writing this If I was a careless guitar player. I wipe the whole instrument with dry cloths every time, including the knobs, knob plate and the pickups. I also keep it in a gig bag. I just dont' know what happened, really.

It is worth mentioning that while I'm not careless when it comes to cleaning my guitars, I live very very close to the beach. 2 streets, actually. It is a major problem with furniture, electronics and etc. Maybe that was the problem. But then again, since I keep it in a gig bag all the time when I'm not playing, it is very weird.

Thanks!

2. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Its chrome. Salt air oxidizes it. I think turtle wax car polisher will work . Id keep in on the chrome and off the finish though i dont really know how the product wiil affect the lacquer.

Nickadermis and soulman969 like this.

3. peterleroux

peterleroux TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2009
    South Africa
    I have two CV series instruments- a 50s Tele and a Jazz bass- and they've both got tarnished/ weathered hardware. I'd prefer if they'd stayed shiny, but so far I haven't been able to polish them up again since they got dirty

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Unfortunately salt air and many types of airborne contaminants can tarnish plated metal like the hardware on your Tele. You can try any of a number of metal polishes but I suspect it won't help much. You might try higher quality chrome hardware to see if that helps but it seems to me you have an environmental problem that may not be able to be avoided.

Perhaps other member who live nearer the coast and salt water will have better suggestions. That would not be me. Denver is about as far from an ocean as you can get.

Nickadermis likes this.

5. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Not much worry about lacquer....there isn't any. It is a very durable poly coating that will stand up to much more abuse Than the chrome will. I doubt that even the salt air can hurt the poly finish much.

6. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    My earlier vintage blonde CV50 had nickel-plated hardware that tarnished beyond redemption (I tried everything) and a year or so ago I finally bought a new nickel-plated control plate, bridge (with threaded steel saddles) and a plain neck plate from Allparts, which are holding up great. I've heard some CVs came with better-plated hardware, but IMHO you'll either have to get used to the "relic" look (which isn't that bad, really) or invest in new hardware. I also bought vintage-style nickel domed knobs with a setscrew and brass sleeves to put over the split shafts. I like the domed knobs better than the flat-top stock ones.

I live near the beach too, and like you took care of it and wiped it down. Just wasn't a good plating job IMHO, and as I said, the Allparts hardware is still like new. No signs of going "greasy" and fogging like the stock stuff did.

Old versus new:

cv50 Stock Hardware.jpg CV50 Bridge Close.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    txflood, hrstrat57 and soulman969 like this.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You guys are mistaking tarnish for character!

fenderrookie, bryan83 and richey88 like this.

8. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    +1 I rather like the way my CV metal hardware has tarnished.

9. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Anywhere but here
    Haven't tried this on a guitar, buuut, on other similar plated metals I have found that (so long as it's a nice shiny new piece of hardware) a very light coating of Burt's Beeswax lip balm buffed onto the surface keeps a lot of corrosion at bey. I would stay away from any mentholated lip balms as a precaution.

10. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Anyone that wants to buy my "relic'ed" CV hardware, just PM me :cool:

I have a '75 Tele that has rust-pitted chrome bridge, but that's different than the foggy/greasy look of the badly-plated CV hardware I have. I tried to like it, but the Allparts stuff is great!

11. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm fairly sure mine was Nickel-plated. And, not very good nickel plating. I don't live anywhere near the beach and mine looked the same. I replaced my bridge and control plates and knobs. As a guitar that hurt my back because of the crazy weight, I sold mine. But, there are things I miss about it.

12. txflood

txflood TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm not sure if this helps with beach conditions since I'm not on the coast, but I bought my VB CV50 tele second hand and didn't like the condition my control plate was in either. I ended up getting the Squier/Fender replacement part. The new one was slightly thicker and has held up just fine for me.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

13. Spirit1066

Spirit1066 TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Hayes, Middlesex
    I have used only two metal polishes, it's are very, very good...
    Flits and Peek. I believe they are similar in formulation but I think flitz is the better of the two but expensive, while Peek works very well and I use this mostly on chrome, stainless steel, carbon steel, brass and even silver.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If you're that much into the salt air, you may as well buy and use those CVs because even the expensive USA Fenders will succumb fairly quickly.

You might just be the perfect candidate for a Squier Classic Vibe.

15. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    My 2001 '52 AVRI and others are all fine. The '52 has spent the most time out as well, either hanging on the wall, or playing it. Only the CV 50 hardware fogged up and tarnished deep into the finish. Just a bad formula and/or job on the nickel plating IMHO.

Still love the guitar though, which is why I spent for the new hardware. Has a Twisted Tele pickup in the neck and Fender 4-way switch. 8 lbs 3 oz, so just about right IMO.

CV50 PJr.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.