Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hard mount not quite perfect - need to abadon/redo?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by somnulist, Aug 14, 2017.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Looks great! Does that bridge cover the 3 original bridge mounting holes? All that will show are the 2 on top. no big deal.

2. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    It almost does. They just barely stick out under the corners of the short bridge, about half covered. I should probably seal those?

I really wish I didn't have the pickguard holes all over - I really like the uncovered look of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old bridge holes:

[​IMG]

Decided to drop in a couple of the black screws that didn't work on the bridge pickup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tap, I really appreciate all your help with this! Definitely wouldn't have looked at the short bridges if you hadn't suggested it.

3. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Damn! That looks awesome! Agreed it looks great without the PG, but looks great with it too.

Bet you have the first GE Smith Affinity around :D

Glad to help and I'm very glad it worked out for you. BTW the stings are right over the poles too! Nice work. Also having the 4-way and upgraded pickups. That's a player now!

4. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Finally got time to sit down and play it last night. The new pickups sound good, especially the Rio Grande in the neck. The bridge is a bit thin sounding but I need to drop the action a bit so maybe it will thicken up a bit.

The only problem is that neither pot seems to work. As this was my first mod, getting the connections to stick to the back of the pot was very hard and I'm worried I fried them. Or maybe the capacitor? I found a lot of discussion online about individual pots getting damaged but not both at once so I'm really at a loss as to how to diagnose it. I don't have a multimeter and frankly if I have to spend money on that I'd probably rather just buy new pots. Are there any that are easier than CTS to get connections on?

5. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    If you can, post some good pics of the underside of control plate. Maybe something is mis-wired or shorting. Also, did you intonate it yet? The saddles in the pics above are all in line. Usually once it's intonated they stagger downward, from treble to bass. Really, if you own an electric guitar you need a multi meter IMHO. Even a cheap one will at least let you check continuity and resistance, so you can diagnose what the problem is.

CV50 AP Bridge Close.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.

6. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I haven't intonated yet - I was going to get the action set and then do it. I also put in a tusq nut that I may need to adjust down a little.

I'll take a few pictures of the controls when I get home from work. I've double checked the wiring against the diagram provided with the switch and online multiple times but it would be good to have an expert opinion. I decided to try it without the treble bleed for a bit to see if I like it.

7. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Might be a good idea to post the pics in the Tele-Tech thread etc. too. Get more eyes on them. Some folks here can spot the problem pretty fast.

8. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Here are some pics. The yellow is off the bridge, the white from the neck. One of the braided is bridge ground, the other to the output jack. I'm leaving the pictures big so nothing gets cut off and you can see everything clearly. Including my horrible soldering skills.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Hopefully others will weigh in too, but off hand I'd want to check continuity on all the ground solders. See if the wires are actually making good electrical contact with the pot case. Also, next time, best to solder a "star" ground... that is solder all the ground wires to one point in the middle of the pot. Besides being much neater, it avoids over-heating the edge of the case where the carbon resistance ring is. IMO it's either a bad ground solder, or you may well have fried the volume pot with all those edge solders. But again, with a cheap multi-meter you could check those ground solders for connectivity, and see if the pot is still working.

Tele 4-Way.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

10. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I'll post it in the tech section too - thanks for the tip. If I have to replace the pots, I'll definitely try for the star pattern.

So nothing jumped out at you besides that?

11. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Not really but it's hard to follow the switch wiring. Is the switch is working properly and just the volume pot not working? Probably a ground solder there or fried pot. I believe if the pot is fried, it will just be full volume all the time.

BTW on the star ground, it's just connecting all wires to one point. Can be toward the edge, since some pots have an "axle" protruding in the middle. Main thing is one glob of solder, not soldering 4 wires to different spots on the pot case.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

12. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    The switch appears to be working. I've read that a fried volume pot will just be wide open all the time, but what about the tone pot?

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I can't tell what I'm looking at in the wiring pics, are the pickup wires that Gibson style shielded stuff? Looks like both the ground and hot are against the back of the vol pot?
    I like the Gibson wire but when you scrunch it into a cavity it grounds stuff out in mysterious ways.

What I would suggest is buying some Jazzmaster pickup mounting screws, which are oddball size that's long but very thin and fits through the Tele bridge pup bottom plate without threading.
    One thing you need to do to get the pickup to sound right is tilt it so it's close to the high E and further from the low E.
    Not sure but it sounds like the mounting screws are restricting your adjustment of the pickup.
    Precision bass and Jazz bass pup mount screws are the same thin screw but longer, in case you have a deeper rout.
    You really need to get the pickup up high enough with some tilt.

14. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Not sure. Could be the two have a symbiotic relationship, and if the volume pot is fried/open, the tone goes out as well? Again, with a multi-meter, easy to check. $6 at Harbor Freight :cool:

15. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    The yellow wire is coming off the bridge pickup and the white is off the neck. The shielded wire coming off the back of the volume pot I used as the bridge ground. The instructions in the wiring kit said to use the shielded wire for longer connections - I had some left over so I figured I'd use it there too.

[​IMG]

If the action adjustment doesn't change things adequately I'll look into those screws. Thanks for the suggestion.

16. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I agree with telemnemonics that it would be better of the screws didn't thread through the pickup flange, and was gonna mention that except you'd already mounted it and didn't want to add too much confusion. In fact in the pic of the GE Smith "open" you can see that the mounting screws are non-threaded just below the head, so they rotate freely on the flange holes. But that can alway be changed later.

But on the pot issue: if you hold the wires very still with needle nose pliers and reflow these spots, that may cure the problem if the volume pot is still good. All of these look like cold solders to me.

Control Plate.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

17. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Don't get frustrated. Putting that control plate into the cavity is like stuffing 10 pounds of s*** into a 5-pound bag. We've all been there:

When you have to manipulate those wires, all kinds of weird things happen. Solder joints break, contact where it shouldn't be, etc.

61fury and somnulist like this.

18. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Does having the screws threaded in the plate cause problems with the pickup (other than making the correct angle harder to achieve)? I was very careful to turn them each only a little at a time so as not to twist or stress the pickup. Would running a drill with a bit just wide enough to eliminate the threads be a problem?

Thanks again for all the help everyone. We're traveling and I'll try to hit those joints again when we get back next week.

19. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I might be worried about cracking the bobbin if drilling it. Easier just to get thinner screws.

20. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Got it fixed! Both pots work and I think the soldering came out a lot better. The joints on the back of the pot were definitely not secure at all.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.