Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hard mount not quite perfect - need to abadon/redo?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by somnulist, Aug 14, 2017.

1. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Working on hard mounting the bridge pickup - got it in, did not drill through into the workbench or anything, but its just a hair off. The angle of the pickup is very close to stock but the whole pickup is shifted 1-2mm off center. Is this too much of a variance? Do I need to pull it, glue out the holes and start over? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

As you can see from the picture, it doesn't quite line up to the stock bridge cutout and its off center towards the control plate by just a hair.

[​IMG]

2. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    It'll work fine. If your ears are calibrated enough to detect that kind of difference, they work WAAY better than mine.

The question is whether you'll be bothered by the look of it. If it's going to nag at you every time you pick it up, you're better off changing it. Ask me how I know.

Randypttt likes this.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    ^^^ Agreed. I'd put the bridge on, string it up and see how it looks. Doubt it would make any sonic difference if the poles aren't perfectly lined up under strings, and you can always reposition it later if it bugs you visually. Heck, may end up being closer than you think...

4. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Visually it doesn't bother me - at least not yet.;) Its a very slight difference. I'm not sure if the poles will line up under the strings though. I'm installing the short bridge as we speak, so I can't check the strings just yet.

5. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Did you just screw into the wood?

6. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    The SD base plate is actually threaded, so I threaded the screws about 3/4 through it, then put the little bit of rubber tubing on the bottom, then the springs. Figured it couldn't hurt. Then yes, screwed directly into the wood. I poked around and couldn't find a good how-to on hard mounting so I just kind of ran with it. Was that wrong?

I just backed the screws out a little and pushed on it a little bit - seems to have taken care of maybe 1mm of the offset.

7. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    In the other thread I posted about using threaded brass inserts as an alternative, but the way you did into the wood it is fine and normal. I was wondering if you might be able to nudge it a bit away from the control plate, and you did.

8. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Got it done this evening - everything wired up, put some strings on it and adjusted the action, got it in tune and then plugged it in. Aaaaannnnd total newb move: the bridge pickup is way, way too low. Going to have to swap out for longer screws and raise it up quite a bit.

9. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    If only there were a way to install it closer to the strings.

Maybe on a shiny plate or something...:cool:

I'm joking - that's a neat job!

LutherBurger and somnulist like this.

10. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Hey, when have any of us gotten a mod right the first time? :D

Now you have the option to add some meat to the bottom of the cavity, and get the pickup positioned better. How low is it? Maybe even glue in some 1/4"? (Just a thought).

BTW a pic of the GE Smith opened up. Notice the cavity is painted black (shielding paint?)

GESmith.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

11. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Based on what I can find on standard pickup height, I'm about a quarter inch down.

Adding meat to the bottom of the pickup cavity- what do you recommend? I was just going to swap in longer screws. I had one inch screws that I suspected were too low but are black so I wanted to try them first. I've got 1 1/4 screws that are silver but now I'm thinking I'd be better off going with 1.5.

I'll post pics when I get home from work. The pickup is definitely low but it really wasn't audible during my test last night. I'm hoping I didn't screw up the wiring. I had a very hard time getting the solder to adhere to the top of the pots. Seemed like there was some kind of coating that was interfering.

12. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I was thinking of cutting something like 1/4" poplar to the size of the cavity and gluing it to the bottom of the cavity (sand out the bottom first). Then you'd have about 9/16" overall of wood to screw into.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Poplar-H...ual-0-25-in-x-3-5-in-x-24-in-754802/100011831

But do what you feel comfortable with. So you're not using the stock pickup? I didn't think you'd have to unsolder it, just unscrew it from the stock bridge, then mount it to the cavity. Soldering to the back of a pot can be a pain, you need at least a 40 watt iron and a chisel tip helps. Need to be careful not to overheat the pot, but it does have to be heated or the solder won't stick. Was the coating was on the pots? Sometimes they're a bit oily when new. Just sand it a bit and/or use some contact cleaner on it

13. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I put in a 4 way switch with new 250k pots, a Rio Grande neck and SD Broadcaster bridge. The RG sounds pretty nice but I'll need to bring it up a bit too.

I'm loathe to build up the cavity because I think I'd have to take apart the wiring. Do you think longer screws present a problem?

14. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Didn't realize you'd done all those upgrades, very cool. Longer screws should be fine, just offering options.

15. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Ok....I got the height adjusted. It's still maybe a bit low but right now it seems ok. The problem I'm having though is that when I drop the control plate all the way in, I lose the bridge pickup in the series position. I've been playing with this for 30 minutes and I can't find the problem. Seems to be on the tone pot side - almost like I lose the feed when it contacts the body.

16. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    Actually, I'm losing the bridge pickup entirely. I can't see any shorts or contacts.

17. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    are you still grounded to the bridge check the earth wire

18. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    That wire resists a pretty firm tug so I think so.

19. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    I think I got it figured out - one of the short loops jumping between points on the switch was folding up and making contact with something. Its working for now.

20. somnulist

somnulist TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2017
    USA
    A couple of pics of the build - I'll post more later tonight.

Figured I could use a laser level to try to help make sure everything was lining up. Seems to have worked out pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.