Happy with new 5F1 mods

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by alexwilds, Jun 13, 2019.

1. alexwilds

alexwilds TDPRI Member

I just finished a 5F1 built from my scrap pile. It has four significant mods:

1. choke replacing the resistor between B+1 and B+2
    2. old brown base Tungsol 5881 with 300K cathode resistor rather than stock 470K
    3. full bridge rectifier to get a bit more wallop from the tiny PT
    4. 10" eminence Lil Buddy Patriot speaker (but I may go with a Jensen alnico I got lying around).

Results are good volume and lots of headroom, up to about 10 on the dial. Above that it breaks up nicely.

I am now playing around with NFB resistor. Stock 22K is too quiet, and no NFB, while the tone and volume are good, limits range. Probably 56K will be the sweet spot. I will put a semi-closed back on it to boost the bass a bit, and likely a 100pf bright cap across volume pot to keep the highs sharp.

While no longer truly a 'Champ', indeed, sounds a bit like a Vox, it has lots of singled-ended class A chime. I recommend these mods.

And now I convert the 5E3 to 5F10 with choke, fixed bias, NFB, bigger PT, paralleled 12AX7, and 5881s. Wish me luck as I dive into the aroma of solder smoke.

dan40 likes this.
  2. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

I Like the Tungsol 5881 in my 5F1 very much. Caveat for the heater current snd the OT impedance.
    I did fool around with the NFB too. I liked the 1 meg for cleans (nearly Off) and 11k for taming mud on distorted sounds.

3. alexwilds

alexwilds TDPRI Member

I am digging through my pile of old resistors, looking for something in the 100 - 150K for the NFB. Right now, however, I have it disconnected and it sound so fine. Still, I want the range and balance NFB gives.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.