Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Happy new vintage amp day - Sano GS15 amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mutato, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Rhode Island
    So I was looking for a backup amp for my band's basement. My amp is a '77 Princeton Reverb and did not want to leave it there. So I was looking at all sorts of cheap amps when my co worker who is a electronics guy said he'd be interested in a trade. I had a stereo and he had this Sano amp. So I traded this surround sound stereo which i had gotten for FREE plus $50 for his amp.

The amp is awesome! Faceplate is generic city compared to our Fenders, etc... but it sounds great. He found this at a DUMP and fixed it up. New replacement transformer and speaker. Replaced caps where needed. But tolex and everything were super clean! This one is from the 70's based on the logo design.

Seems to have a richer, "bassier" tone than my PR. And you can turn it up but it doesn't get crazy loud like my PR can, which has a more mid range loudness.

Here's the specs from the interweb:
    17 watts, 2-EL84s, 1-12AU7A, 1-12AX7s, 1-6FQ7reverb and tremolo

IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6791.JPG

IMG_6747.JPG

Geo, ftbtx, Darkness and 3 others like this.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Very cool! Congratulations!

3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    just say no! pretty cool amp!

without seeing a full gut shot, looks like some of those other caps may need replacements.

play music!

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    That looks very nice. Congrats.

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I like finding good sounding amps that don't say the traditional brand names and the specs look good....as does the amp. Good choice on the speaker as well.

6. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Forgot to add, when my co worker found this amp left at dump, it was filled with mouse turds and stuffings. All inside. Nasty! Amazing it came out so clean.

7. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    That's a nice find and the price was right. Congrats!

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Never heard of a "Sano" but I think I'm a little jealous right now...

Congrats on your latest acquisition!

'

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Accordion amps. At least how they started.

I think they have some connection to Ampeg.

Nice score !

10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    That's a mighty cool amp. I had a 2x12 Sano for years. Excellent sound on the cheaps.
    MD

11. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    I have a Sano 250R from approx. 1976. 2 cathode biased 7591 power tubes, 2 12" Eminence speakers with reverb, tremolo and stereo input. Nice, very well built amp for the price with a unique voice of it's own. I have thought about selling it a couple time but just never could. Enjoy your new amp.
    Thanks John

alnicopu likes this.

12. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Here's a good site where the artist basically got all the skinny on Sano amps:

http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/sano_amps.html

Geo and AxemanVR like this.

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    When my grandmother died, my father was cleaning out her house he said, “she has some speaker thing under a sheet in the closet you may or may not want”. She taught piano, organ and accordion. Yanked off the sheet and low and behold was a mint, 35 watt Sano 2x12 amp with Trem and Reverb. PTP wired, footswitch, 4 Amperex Bugle boy 12ax7’s and 7591 power tubes. Every component lead was bent at the same angle and the soldering was all perfect. That thing was an absolute work of art!!! I sold it for him because it took him forever to sell that house and needed the cash. He dumped a ton of money in it and I was paying for my kids school. Still regret it.

14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Does yours have the gold threading woven into the grill cloth? The one I mentioned had Eminence alnico mag speakers.

15. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    My amp has the same all black grill cloth as the OP's amp. It does have the alnico 12" Eminence. I had a Sano 300R from the same period, which had a split chassis, preamp on top and power amp below and it had 12" square magnet ceramic Eminence speakers. That amp never sounded as good as the 250R so it sold to someone that was looking for a Sano to replace one he had at one time. He was happy to buy it from me.
    Thanks John

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Interesting,

Now I'm wondering how many other companies were making amps back then that I never heard of...

'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.