Happy new owner of a Strymon Flint

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DaphneBlue, Apr 18, 2018.

1. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

IMG-20180418-WA0010.jpeg It's been years since I fell in love with it but couldn't pull the trigger. Well, I did!

I try to be reasonable when it comes to expensive stuff and I often argue with myself. I bought a year back a second hand EHX Cathedral and it was a good deal. I needed a versatile reverb pedal for one of my bands. Coupled with my second hand EHX Pulsar, I was really pleased with the sound and so was my girlfriend who uses those pedals, too.

However, the idea to have 3 great reverb pedals and 3 great tremolo pedals in one was at the back of my mind. I wanted a powerful and tasty thing to improve my tone.

Here's my short review:

I use this pedal with a jazzmaster through a clean Roland Blues Cube Hot.

Reverb: I'm not going through all the modes cause they've been well described and demoed but what impressed me is that this pedal really improves the sensation I have when you're in front of your amp. I like the fact that it doesn't add brightness to my sound. I used to like the sound of my Cathedral in the amp but it made my tone brighter and a bit too agressive. The Flint has that tube amp reverb vibe that I had lost since I stopped playing my Hot Rod Deluxe.

Tremolo: Compared to my EHX Pulsar, it's a totally different approach. I found the '63 tube mode breathtaking. It totally brought me what I was looking for: the possibility to have an always-on tremolo that improves my sound. I also love '65 photo mode but couldn't find the right use of the '61 harm with my playing (It felt too perfect).

To sum up, I've waited for this pedal a long time and I'm glad I did. It's bringing something new to my tone and it makes my BC Hot sound like a surf machine!

2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, from my limited (non-owning lol) experience it's a high quality pedal - well worth the cash & glowing reviews. Love to hear some clips?

dotpc and DaphneBlue like this.
  3. digitalshrub

digitalshrub TDPRI Member

A great pedal, with nary a bad sound on it (though I admittedly don’t use the photocell trem very often). I read an interview with Julian Lage wherein he said that the Flint is basically the only pedal he ever uses.

I only wish that the trem section could get a little choppier, but I understand that this pedal is meant to capture amp-style tremolo, not emulate what other pedals can do.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

It's one of my favorites too; I use it with my reverb-less amps when I don't want to bring a whole pedal board.

5. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nice....Very nice. I replaced a Holy Grail and haven't looked back.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  6. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I've been wanting one for a while. If I'd just quit buying more dirt boxes I could afford one (he says after just buying a BD-2w from Reverb).

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Love mine. The plate reverb is incredible. I'd love to hear vocals through this thing.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I really like Flint, too bad I'm going exclusively with a GT-100 these days. But the Flint's tremolo is better.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

want... Big congrats!!

DaphneBlue likes this.
  10. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I also want one. I'm also looking at the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus but the Flint is more versatile by a LOT.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I have both; they each have pros and cons. Like you said the Flint is much more versatile, but the Mr. Black fits better on my crowded pedal board and also draws a lot less current from my 1 spot power supply. The reverb on Mr. Black can get pretty out of control if you crank it up.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

If I were ever to buy a "high-end" pedal for reverb, delay, modulation it would be a Strymon. My needs just don't warrant it but they are fantastic. One of the few "boutique" companies that warrant the praise and hype.
    Congratulations.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My thinking at this point is that a Deco and a Flint is just about all I'd need in the way of pedals.

If Strymon were to put some sort of compressor in the Deco, these two pedals would take care of just about everything I'd ever need. Grit from the Deco is plenty sufficient for what I play.

Tuner, Deco, Flint, power, done.

dotpc, Plumber, FenderLover and 2 others like this.
  14. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Yeah I have to tell you that this idea is also at the back of my mind...

15. digitalshrub

digitalshrub TDPRI Member

Just want to second the motion on how excellent the plate reverb is on the Flint. I’ve never been a room/hall guy, and always felt like I just needed a really good spring ‘verb on hand in case a backlined amp at a gig didn’t have that. With the Flint, I find myself selecting the plate mode more often than I expected, possibly more often than the spring mode.

I’ll also add that this pedal pairs especially well with the Strymon El Capistan tape delay. (El Cap + Flint on plate ‘verb = gorgeous tones a la Pink Floyd).

dotpc, DaphneBlue and Doghouse_Riley like this.
  16. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I'm sporting the Deco, Flint, and Lex. Make sure you guys try an expression pedal with these for the Nth degree.

The El Cap is a good suggestion, but I use the echorec, which is Pink-Floyd-in-a-box delay.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  17. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I had an opportunity a while ago to play with a few Strymon pedals and was deeply underwhelmed. Except for The Flint, seemed the only one ( although I didn't get to try the Deco, which I'd like to) worth the cost and sounded excellent.
    Happy NPD.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  18. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

The flint was my gateway drug into strymon

nothing better

19. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Deco, brought it home ,plugged it in and haven't turned it off since. set really sneeky, down low it makes the recorded track sound alive.:cool:
    "they use mirrors" says I:eek:
    "shut up dummy you're missing the point! says she.:mad:
    " it's believing in the maker of those mirrors! :twisted:

DaphneBlue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.