Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Hank Williams Sr. & a Fender?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telegator, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

Hank_Tele.gif

This is the first time I have ever seen a pic of Hank Williams Sr. that included a Fender guitar. Does anybody know anything about this picture? Is that a Broadcaster, Nocaster, Telecaster or Esquire? Any idea who it is playing the guitar?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Barz

Barz Tele-Meister

I'd have to say from what I can see its an Esquire. I don't see a neck PuP but that quality's not all that.

3. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

Barz, I got the pic from a YT clip by using the "print screen" trick. I wish the quality were better too. I also can't see a neck PuP but my eyes are pretty bad these days. My wife says I can't even see hard times a comin'.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Might be able to figure out something here.What song were they playing in the video?
    Band Members

6. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

The video on YT is of a song called "I'm going home". It's the only pic shown during the song. If I didn't know any better I would swear Luther Perkins was on this recording. The pic probably has nothing to tie it directly to the recording but I bet this is either late in Hank's career or maybe even overdubbed at a later time. Any thoughts on this?

Here is the link...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-nOtG__j6k&feature=related

7. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

later in his career, after (you can't fire me because I quit) the opry, he didn't use his regular band for a while and when playing one nighter would use whatever house band was around, I don't think you'll find any tele on any recordings, but somewhere I know this picker has come forward to say "it's me", can't for the life of me say who or where or what..this is gonna bug me all day...

8. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

I was going to suggest it's Sammy Pruett - and it does look like it might be, but I can't find any other pictures of Sammy with Telecaster/Broadcaster/Esquire. I do see that amp in a few shots though. Here's a shot of Hank and Sammy.

Attached Files:

9. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

10. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Hank died Jan 1st 1953 so whatever it is its an early one.

11. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for showing us the pic Johnny. We can rule out the Esquire at least. I too am a big fan of Hank Sr.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.