Hang for 120 seconds? Win $100.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, May 21, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The requirement to have both hands the same direction makes me wonder if they paid out too many times before establishing that rule.

The idea behind it is likely aimed at the modern gym rat body builder concept of strength, where beef is prioritized.
    Beef is more heavy than strong, and greater usable strength is often less bulky.
    Carpenters and roofers that don't go to the gym would be my bet.
    I've seen big guys with gym muscles that could not lift as much as me in practical work situations, and I was 6'2" 155lbs so looked pretty skinny.
    Not sure why, maybe use of machines targets visuals but fails to tie the muscle groups together with the other supporting musculature?

I love (or used to love) rock climbing too, and could hang from one hand comfortably, even with just a ledge to grab. I would climb street lights randomly by grabbing and walking up.
    Two minutes is indeed a long long time though.

A fine trick on the part of the business!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

These are a scam, the bar rotates which makes it virtually impossible. Look up on Youtube, there's some amazing athletes who have tried and failed to do it. One guy built the same rig at home and spent weeks trying to do it, failed everytime, then went back to the fair and failed again. We have one in Dublin, you get super confident athletic looking guys (almost always American for whatever reason) attempting it and they never get past 60-70 seconds.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't say scam as it is technically possible, it's just MUCH MUCH harder than it appears to be.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I saw this one at a motorcycle rally, and none of the big bad bikers could even come close, but they did love the challenge and had fun trying. One little guy about 12 years old almost made it, so perhaps a strength to weight ratio could be a big factor.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

well it takes longer than two minutes for brain death, doesn't it? but it's hard on the neck.

TheGoodTexan and davenumber2 like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If the bar rotates it does become more of a circus trick than a test of strength and endurance. A shell game scenario.
    Seems like the scene around the contraption would be more enticing if some actually made the $100, though of course it would have to be less than 10% success or the contest would only break even.
    If nobody wins, why even bother to participate?
    Maybe it just looks too easy?

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

back when I weighed about 120 lbs, I would have tried it. I had good strength for my size then. but no way now. probably wouldn't last 20 seconds.

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

There may also be an economy of crowd scale in play. I’ve seen games like this at theme parks that were $20 when the crowd was huge, and then drop down to $10 an hour later when the crowd had thinned out... and finally much later in the day... $5.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Wonder if there's any sort of permit you need to run a scam like this in public. Maybe this is on privately owned property and I just can't tell from the photo, but it appears they just set this contraption up on a city sidewalk.

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm guessing that if the bar does rotate that will place your wrist in a very award alignment.....it will work against the natural alignment of how the body would be most strong. Your wrist would tend to align directly under the bar with either a forward or reverse grip which will break the flat plane that should be created from the back of your hand, across the wrist and to the forearm....make sense??

Here's what I'm trying to describe.....

A strong, natural hand, wrist, forearm alignment would look like this with either grip...a flat plane...

pullupbars-lowres-0883-570x380.jpg original.jpeg

With a rotating bar something more like this will happen....which is not a strong alignment to hang from....it make work well to push from as in the pic...but not for hanging....

The_Suicide_Grip_Dangerous_or_Smart.jpg

Or maybe it's just that the rotating bar wants to turn and so you're constantly having to work against that...it wants to unravel your hand just from the pull of gravity on your body...just some guesses...

Anyway, with my current health I would last maybe 15 seconds under ideal conditions.....

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Even if the bar does rotate freely, it doesn’t appear to me that it would rotate itself into an uncomfortable position once you’re hanging from it, or that it would continue to rotate. Seems like it would still be a natural position.

I had a pull up bar in my garage for years that I made out of lead plumbing pipe and oversized U connectors hanging from the ceiling so that the bar slid through them and rotated freely. I did weighted pull-ups from that for years... until we finished out part of the basement and I had to remove it.

So... maybe??? I could do it???

If it is a carnival trick, then I’m falling into their mental trap here, convincing myself that sheer ability can beat it.

Like I said, once my shoulder feels better... week or two... I’ll test myself in the gym.

11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Easy if you Stretch the rules a bit?:lol:

cyclopean and jhundt like this.
  12. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

It's worth trying for ten bucks or whatever, especially if you've previously used a bar that rotates, the vast majority of people that try it would have only used stable bars in the gym. But, this is a trick that they want people to fall for, it just looks so easy! Going back to what I said earlier about YouTube, there are people on there who beat it so it's possible, but very difficult.

As well here in Dublin there used to be a guy who had a bicycle with reversed handlebars, you turn left the bike goes right and vice versa. All you had to do was cycle about ten feet in a straight line without touching the ground, the guy working the stall would even cycle freely back and forth to show how easy it was. Over the years I've watched hundreds of people try it, I never saw one person get more than two feet. Major money spinner for that guy, ten bucks a go and nobody lasted more than two seconds, he still had people queuing up to try it every night!

TheGoodTexan and jhundt like this.
  13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that is exactly the trick that was described at the beginning of the radio show I listened to, on BBC World Service! It was the trick that inspired the science-guy presenter to create the show, which was all about confidence vs. ability. Guys watched the bike, were confident they could do it, and could not.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

wow, what a find! I remember these guys playing in the bar where I was pumping cheap beer, back in '75. The infamous Longbranch, Berkeley CA.

Alamo likes this.
  15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

That was a thing we did in gym class. I could do 2:00 easy when I was 15. I was a rock/ice climber in my 20s. I could hang on forever.

telemnemonics and TheGoodTexan like this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I think the rotating bar theory is correct. Notice how they specify both hands must be in the same direction? The rotating bar would put your grip in the worst possible position for hanging. Your fingers and thumb would have to be incredibly strong. You'd have to be a one-in-a-million freak to get through the challenge.

telemnemonics and TheGoodTexan like this.
  17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been dabbling in rock climbing this year. Not very good and my arms are constantly sore from it but I'm getting better. My grip strength has already gone up a lot. I know I can't do this, probably not even 1 minute. Earlier this year we took our son to Legoland San Diego and they had a carnival booth there with this scam but theres is only 1 minute, not 2. We never saw anyone able to hang 1 minute.

These bars are pretty hard to hang onto, I would be surprised if this one rotates... just a plain old regular pull up bar is hard to grip onto as they don't have much friction.. and your hands WILL start to sweat which makes it even worse.

A lot of rock has a lot more friction on your hands than steel.

I do expect there are some really great rock climbers who can do it. People get REALLY strong. There is a strongman/bodybuilder type guy on Youtube who has a channel called "Jujimufu". Cool guy. He has a bunch of videos with Magnus Midtbo who is a professional climber from Norway I believe. Anyway because this Jujimufu guy is into grip strength contests he tests a lot of climbers on grip strength feats.. he's about 240lbs. Magnus is about 150lbs and absolutely crushes him on some of the "grip lifts". One of his videos he tests himself against a bunch of amateur climbers and even the 100lbs amateurs who are good equal him.

But 2 minutes is probably still way way out there. Climbing is hugely about being smart, and hanging from your hands for 2 minutes is not really part of that.

You want to see insane feats go see a video of Adam Ondra or a couple of the other European guys "jump climbing" up a campus board with just their hands.. and they have nothing to grip onto except 1/2" of wood sticking out or a ball shaped piece the size of a basketball that they are palming. The stuff the pro sport climbers are doing makes them look like spiderman.

A lot of them can one-hand hang from stuff that you can't even wrap your fingers and thumb around.. gotta either "pinch" or "crimp" it. It takes incredible strength... so I'd think some of them can do this.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  18. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

This, with the wide diameter of the gripping bar it makes it harder to get a good grip. You are literally holding on with your fingers. They also have specific rules of how you have to hang hidden by the girl.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Can I swap hands after a minute?

20. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

This guy did it.

TheGoodTexan and Hatfield92 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.