Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Handwired DRRI issue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drri, Jan 21, 2018.

1. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2016
    SC
    My Deluxe Reverb developed a nasty issue last week. 10 sec YouTube link attached. I reseated all the tubes, did the tap test on them and they sounded fine, however now it the chassis/cabinet seems to get extremely hot even after a short time of being on. To the point I can't really keep my hand on top of the amp without it burning a little. The amp was re-tube about 1 1/2 yr ago, it's a Alessandro handwired DRRI. I'm not sure of the life span of those tubes but I don't play hours on end or gig but I might take it out once a week for a practice..... Any ideas?

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    It's a tube amp. They all get hot. Too hot to touch the metal bits. If it sounds OK it is OK.

3. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Appears to be something related to a broken solder.
    A circuit (any circuit) that start to get hotter than usual is asking for a tech.

drri likes this.

4. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2016
    SC
    Yeah I understand that however the top of the cabinet is getting way hotter than it use to.

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Turn it around, kill the lights, and watch the tubes when it does that. See if one is flashing or arcing.

That popping, along with excessive heat, is ominous. It could just be that the bias is drifting really hot, or there could be a power supply issue rearing its head (bad cap, bad rectifier tube, etc).

drri likes this.

6. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2016
    SC
    Thanks, the popping is gone now since I reseated the tubes, that's when I noticed the excessive heat. I'm going to get it to a amp tech in a couple of weeks to take a look.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    It shouldn't get AS hot, INDEED

THat's a problem - hopefully not the power tranny, which is the most costly part of a tube amp

try to quickly & safely touch the PT & check

IT MIGHT BE THE RECTIFIER TUBE CHECK THAT TOO / CHANGE IT

drri likes this.

8. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    also change the power tubes asap

drri likes this.

9. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2016
    SC
    Yeah I've still got the original tubes I had in before they were changed and they don't have a lot of hours on them so I thought about changing them out as a test but in the end I know me and I won't be satisfied until a tech looks at it so off it goes... I've got way too much invested in this amp to screw something up.

homesick345 likes this.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Yep, amp tech time!

11. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    Did you re-bias the amp when you put in the new tubes? That might be the problem.

12. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2016
    SC
    I would assume so (I took it a tech then as well) as i bought a matched set and requested for it to re-biased. That was back in April 2016, nothing has been done since then. And I've had no issues

13. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    Maybe a different tech?

14. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    If you changed the tubes almost 2 years ago, re-bias at that time and only now you started to have the issue, clearly it's not a bias matter.
    But, if you install the older tubes at this time, you will probably have a bias problem, together with the other you have, which cause you don't know yet.
    If you don't have experience in troubleshoot the circuit, stop now!

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Take it to the tech by all means just to be sure - but if it's quiet the odds are you only noticed now because you've been touching it while reseating the tubes where you normally wouldn't.

There is a piece of foil inside the top of the cabinet for shielding. That gets hot, and it transfers up. Like your cooktop when the oven underneath is on.

Like Clintj says, it can't suddenly develop two or three times the heat without something seriously being wrong. Depending how hard you're pushing and how often 2016 to now, current production tubes, one could be on the way out in a DR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.