Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hands up: who else just doesn't like acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    If I ever find that I "need" the sound of an acoustic, I'd rather keep a Line 6 Variax around than an actual acoustic guitar.

2. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Right up front, I’ll admit that I didn’t read much past page five, but...

I started on electric and hated acoustics - they were just too hard to play. However, over the years, things have changed. Good ones really aren’t that hard to play, and good ones can sound amazing. Now, I own a lot more electrics than acoustics, but I play acoustic about 90 percent of the time. I couldn’t imagine not having one (or three).

Toto'sDad and william tele like this.

3. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Hmm. Just looked at these on YouTube. I have been seriously thinking of getting a Yamaha silent guitar to replace my acoustic, but the variax looks more versatile.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

4. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I spend as much time on Acoustics as Electrics. During the work week my acoustics get a workout. Its just easier after a long day at work to grab one,

All of my Acoustics have their own vibe. Different set ups and strings allow different playing styles to suit them. Nothing like have an acoustic that vibrates and feels alive. Some of mine have pickups mounted on them, makes for an interesting brew with the right effects.

I just restrung all of my Classical guitars last weekend. Its fun to move between different string tensions and playing styles. Flamenco guitar is a blast when everything is vibrating just right.

Acoustics are just as much a part of my guitar voice as my different amps and pedals are to my electrics.

Today I was listening to Led Zep 1in my car. Great acoustic work on it. Now I have to get Led Zep 3 on C.D.
    Acoustic guitar still inspires me.

5. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2017
    USA
    I know I'm wrong too, and I should fix myself, but I find acoustic guitars so fo0kin' booooring! :confused:

having said this, I'd love to have a good acoustic guitar, set up really nicely so that it is really playable, as a couch guitar, to pick up here and there

william tele likes this.

6. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Nice!

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    There is no wrong. Almost any electric guitar and good amp is a veritable amusement park of tones, and with very little effort you can produce huge sounds.

With an acoustic there is really just one inherent sound and it can, indeed, be very boring...unless you take the time to learn to draw out all the other useful sounds it's capable of. It takes patience...but there is no wrong.:)

rad1, FenderGyrl and RocknRollShakeUp like this.

8. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2017
    USA
    you are awesome for understanding!

btw, I have to say I have more fun with acoustic when I use DADGAD and try to play more Jimmy Page'ish type of stuff! :cool:

william tele likes this.

9. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2008
    California

10. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    I do like the sound of an acoustic guitar, and I think it is necessary to have one in a collection, I dont see the need to spend more than 500 dollars on one. Id rather spend that on a good solid body electric. But its down to personal preference and taste.

william tele likes this.

11. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2008
    California
    Hey - I get you, I think it is part of the creative musical process. I go back and forth between acoustic and electric. I love Neil Young - ever notice that through the years he just went back and forth, back and forth between acoustic albums and electric albums? What he needed to "say" and play in his songs at a certain time called for acoustic guitar, then...he needed to rock out with his Les Paul ("Old Black") for a while. He even sat at the piano and wrote songs for piano.
    Your comment suggests your need to justify "why" you play what you do now with electric, and when you played acoustic. "No walls" - don't box yourself in with music or instruments. You're just in your phase and you're good with it. Like me, you may hear something from another artist that knocks you out. You may want to learn to play the music, and whoops, it will throw you back to acoustic a while - go with it, feel it, live it until you hear some electric a while later that throws you back to that realm. It is all good. Enjoy it.

FenderGyrl and william tele like this.

12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Neither.

I posted it for fun, for light-hearted discussion, to challenge a few accepted norms in a semi-serious way.

But it seems that some people only see in black and white and are just waiting for a chance to take offence at something.

Take all the offence you want.

But then maybe think how silly that is.

P Thought likes this.

13. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

One major point in favour of acoustic guitars - they still sound the same when there is a power outage.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Got it - I and others are silly when told acoustics sound bad, and we are silly for countering, and liking them. And its not you - your opinion is right. Its those who like "damn strummy thrummy things" that are wrong. Also, anyone who spends more than $200 [Crafter import] is silly because they "all sound the same".

You say you did it for fun - how about making fun of yourself, and a few dubious reasons why you may not like them? Dish it out, and in turn take the reverse? Or, you're just poking some fun and not to be taken serious, but some of us counter and we're too serious? "Its ok to not like acoustics" because they are inferior. Which absolutely is ok. Its ok to not like a lot of things, isn't it? Lets both laugh about the things we don't like.

howardlo likes this.

15. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Brentwood U.K.
    Good God the op already explained several times he was being light hearted why you have to get so offended and pick a fight over something so ridiculous is crazy.

hemingway likes this.

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    If you don't get that the tone of my OP was self-deprecating as much as anything else . . . I give up

Mid Life Crisis likes this.

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    "Countering" an opinion?
    Yes, that's pretty silly.

18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I had to really search to find a great sounding acoustic that did not have a wide flat neck. I struggle with flat radius necks. A 12” radius somewhat thin neck on a good acoustic is a joy.

william tele likes this.

19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I don't LIKE acoustic guitars - I LOVE them!

The new Martin Road Series models are awesome! I recently purchased the GPCRSGT (2015 Summer NAMM Best of Show), after seeing the reviews, hearing the demos, and playing one at the local GC. I loved it so much that I just treated myself to the Road Series Custom DCRSGT model. I love that one, too.

The Road Series models are travel-sized, and have simple Fishman electronics, but they feature solid wood sound board, sides and back - and the fretboards are plek'ed!

hemingway likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.