Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hands up: who else just doesn't like acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Jan 2, 2018.

1. peterpicker

peterpicker Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2010
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    I much prefer solid body electrics. Easier to hold. You can bend the strings easy. More cut away. You have unlimited sounds and volumes. Etc, etc.

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I'm sorry heminway but the acoustic is where it started .
    I play mine 90% of the time- that keeps my arms strong, ear keen to pitch and they just sound nice.
    It also makes playing an electric easier for me. Sorry you feel the way you do about acoustics.

howardlo, studio1087 and william tele like this.

3. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I love my acoustics. No wires, knobs, pedals, or gimmicks. I can’t waste money fretting about finding the right pickups, shopping for pedals, trying to get the same sound as a particular artist on a particular song. I don't have to worry about buying aftermarket bridge saddles, locking tuners, or be tempted to add a Bigsby. It’s ready to go, any time, anywhere.

I remember when I was able to play three-chord song the first time without stopping to move my fingers, a magical moment for me.

I have a lot of guitars, with a dozen or so electrics for each acoustic, but I play the acoustic every day. My main acoustic is a Martin D28, and it is hard to look at it sitting on it's stand, and not be tempted to pick it up and start playing.

howardlo and MarkSmith76 like this.

4. gregulator450

gregulator450 TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    I love acoustic guitars for three reasons: Tom Petty songs, capos, and alternate tunings. Did I mention Tom Petty songs? That said, all three of those things are good for electrics too. If you would like me to properly dispose of that Crafter for you, send me a message. LOL

studio1087 likes this.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I don't listen to acoustic music (other than symphonic music), I don't care about acoustic guitars, and I don't own an acoustic guitar. They just aren't my thing.

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I have no problem with you criticising my playing (I do it all the time) or with you making assumptions based on very little (I probably do that, too).

But sneering at people who can't afford thousands of dollars for an "entry level" guitar is distasteful.

howardlo likes this.

7. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Of course you're right, and my original post was only semi-serious and meant to be somewhat self-deprecating.

But it's nice to get a bit iconoclastic on here sometimes and not be afraid to vent and say, you know what, I don't like acoustics, and I don't like like this that or that other or whatever. It's good to challenge supposedly sacrosanct ideas and have a laugh while doing it.

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I'm simply pointing out that you established yourself as an expert, yet your behavior, credentials, even your gear of choice don't substantiate your expertise for a supposed expert. OR -

You aren't an expert, and therefore your opinion is poorly framed.

I'd say your choice of guitar budget is fine, but using that as a platform to lecture others from, especially those who spend considerably more for a reason, is itself a form of sneering.

An electric and an acoustic are too different instruments. The technique is different, even the chosen notes are different. Great tele licks can sound stupid on an acoustic, and vise versa. Maybe that's you hang-up with acoustics, you are trying to play one like a tele? Again, learn how to play one first before you incorrectly judge.

9. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK

Who said I was an expert?? At what point did I lecture anyone?

I made a post challenging accepted wisdom in a semi-humorous, partly self-deprecating way and you replied in insulting and personal terms.

People on this forum are generally respectful of each other and it goes a long way - apart from when it comes to those damn strummy troubadours (THERE, that's humour. Did you get it?).

I dare say you're a much better guitarist than I am. I dare say you make wonderful music. But you're maybe not as good at taking a deep breath and reading things in the spirit in which they were intended.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Good try - now the injured approach. Your original post was and is offensive. Your attempt to defend it is even more offensive. I actually tried to give you a graceful way to back up so we could all agree halfway - you don't like it because you don't understand it - but you ain't gonna give, are you? I'll let you have the sympathy points as if I'm the bad guy this time. I like nice flattops and archtops, and like artists who know how to use them. I'm the bad guy.

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Play guitar anywhere with no complication. Power supplied by your hands and voice.

[​IMG]

I took this photo last week and I wanted to post it again. Sorry. :cool:

howardlo and william tele like this.

12. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2010
    plattsburg mo.
    Today's pop music is all whining and high ooo-aaaa- oooo- eeeee kinda endings on every other word .
    A good acoustic has it's place. I love a good acoustic finger picked or double picked, you just can't get that sound on an electric. A big jumbo or a big dread just sound good.
    I too play electric more, but some songs just ring with a big acoustic.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Revisiting this thread after a few days.
    I am amazed at the responses. I simply don't know how anyone can be a complete guitar player without appreciating the qualities of an acoustic.
    No, they don't all the sound the same. Same would be a Jackson, Ibanez, Les Paul etc through a Marshall or Mesa at high gain. (Actually you could take an Affinity Tele and make it sound the same as those guitars I just mentioned if you put it through the homogeneous blender of a high gain amp).
    Again, you play the what fits the song.
    With that, I think I'll grab my Southern Jumbo and play a little Angie. So glad that Keith chose an acoustic (Hummingbird?)for this song rather than a Tele through a tweed.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    You need a truck to go to the mountain
    and a car to go to the city.

Just diff places.

15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    For what it's worth, I found your original post just as you've said. I don't see this guy's point of view at all.

Pickcity and hemingway like this.

16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    howardlo, elihu, darkwaters and 3 others like this.

17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I love acoustics but most of them hate me .Too wide and terrible necks...for me .I have small hands and short fingers .I battled and wore out my Harmony Sovereign round folksy bluesy clubs in the 60's and then stopped altogether.It was only when I bought a Squier 51 and Teles with a 9.5 radius in 2007 that I found my true love which now has transmuted in a Gibson scale and radius etc .Weird
    I did try a little Gretch parlour which worked well a few weeks ago .In the meantime my unique Keiper 109 Les Paul sized hollow body ,floating bridge jazzer(slightly deeper than a LP ) is very good unplugged so my acoustic side is gradually returning .

18. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    One year ago if you would have asked me what I played.... It would have been exclusively electric.
    Even though I started with acoustic, the large dreadnaught size sort of just got to me.

For about 8 years it was strictly electric guitars. Then, I caught the bug. The nylon string acoustic guitar is my thing.
    Having originally been born in Central America, and adopted at a young age, somehow I feels it helps me connect with my past, present, and future.

Whenever I picked up the electric guitar, I found myself playing blues/jazz/modernish rock.
    The nylon string guitar has opened a new world to me, and hopefully my electrics don't have to pay the price. Josh

dazzaman likes this.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    stephent2 - I laugh out loud every time I see Waterloo's. Only because I remember the first time someone told me that Collings was now building "cheaper" flat tops. :lol:

I played a smaller-bodied (00 ?) one right before Christmas and it was among the best acoustic guitars I've ever played. Was a plain top and not that much to look at but the notes just sprang out of it - completely alive.

mowgli - the last two/three years have been my nylon string wakeup call. Can't get enough of 'em now.

stephent2 likes this.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    It could be worse. Can you say "UKELELE?"

BobbyZ and brookdalebill like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.