Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hands up: who else just doesn't like acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Jan 2, 2018.

1. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    it's also what began my quest for a t style guitar that doesn't do that. it can be done.

Nothing like a real guitar, I bought a used '64 D-18 in 1970. Been through quite a few but I still have a Martin OO-15m and that's my keeper Martin. Into Waterloos lately, fun guitars.

2. jonton2

jonton2 TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Chris Whitley is unbelievable !!!

3. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I love the way an acoustic sounds, and while I can play an acoustic, I just dont like the feel of it and I dont really enjoy playing one. I respect it for what it is and recognize its history, importance and place, but it isn't for me.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

5. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2007
    Out There
    I have a love/hate relationship with acoustics. I really like the way they sound, but I've historically had an extremely difficult time finding one I could really "bond" with. They either don't sound right, or they feel funny in my hands, or both. And I've owned lots of them, and played lots more. It has always seemed to me that electrics are a "cheaper date" than acoustics -- it's easier to get the sound and feel one is looking for on an electric than an acoustic. I've got a couple of acoustics that really work for me now, but it took years to find them.

6. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    You have a 'really nice' Crafter?

william tele and Mike Eskimo like this.

7. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Nup. Not a big fan. I learned on one, but now they’re too loud for my kid-filled house. Plus they’re bulky and I’m just not used to the lack of neck radius anymore. And the strings smell.

I’m sure that there are models out there that would address my issues, but I’m not interested enough to find out for sure.

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Mostly write on acoustic For some reason on my beater. I have two other very speedy acoustics, but they live in their cases so they end up getting played less. I play my electrics mostly unplugged and for some reason I am far more widdly on them than acoustic.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I think this kind of stuff sounds great on acoustic guitar.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Me. Can't stand them and won't own one. I started on electric.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I love this one, too.

stax likes this.

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I now only use an acoustic when I have to -

Not a great endorsement that you actually know how to use one.

I especially hate those strummy troubadours

So do all of us. I know more strummies who ego out with electrics than an acoustic. An acoustic is too hard to learn to play for these types.

I have a really nice Crafter and it hangs just right on the wall. But the sound of it doesn't excite me.

Didn't know they made a nice Crafter. Can't you buy a dozen of these for the price of an entry level Taylor? Not a great example of a really good acoustic. And, has the sound improved since you left it on the wall?

I have played all kinds of acoustics over the years and they (steps into bomb shelter and shuts door) all sound the damn same to me.

I'd say that is a very accurate assessment, based on your understanding and qualifications

william tele likes this.

13. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    Personally, I don't, but someday I might.

14. Rbriggs82

Rbriggs82 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Summerville, SC
    I'd take my Martin any day of the week over an electric. Just as others have said they feel awkward about an acoustic I feel the same about electric. I love them both and play them both I just feel more at home with an acoustic.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    So wait - do any of y'all electric boys play outside ?

Do you like being outside ?

I have a micro Cube and sure, once or twice a year will take it outside on the patio/deck and play an electric guitar but Lordy !

One of the joys of summer is playing some kind of acoustic outside w/ a cold one or coffee in the morning or at sunset or hearing the birds, learning a new song, etc.

And you acoustic-averse dudes who live in climates where it's nice most of the year - what the hell ?

I love GUITAR. Some of mine I need to plug in and - some I don't.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Pickcity, songtalk, P Thought and 3 others like this.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been taking an extended break from owning acoustics, since that lil storm in 2005.

But I find myself wishing I had one around. I might be ready to get another. Like Mike says, there just are times when a guitar outdoors or someplace where I don't have electric power, might be just the thing.

17. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Western New York
    Was never as into Acoustics as i was Electrics but the combination of going to school and actually building one of each and being a Foo Fighters fan and Dave doing so much Acoustic stuff really made me appreciate Acoustics more. I've had some Tacoma Acoustics through the years which were all amazing but there was a stretch where I didn't have any guitars at all.

About six years ago I used Birthday money along with some extra cash I had and picked up an Epiphone Masterbilt. Tried everything in the store and it was just the one. The features per price point was ridiculous and I liked that it didn't have the typical Epi headstock design. It also has a great pickup system in it with an under-saddle one along with another at the end of the fingerboard that can be used separately or blended together. I used it live a couple times and was complimented both on it's looks and how it sounded.

Since I got the Epi I've also added a number of Electrics but I keep the Epi right next to the couch and grab it whenever I just want to noodle a bit or play up a playlist on YouTube with some acoustic favorites I jam along with.

Toto'sDad likes this.

18. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    Fountain City, Wi
    For me it's what works for the job,and sometimes the song, and although I mostly play acoustic these days, I've been adding an electric back into my solo gig. Of course jams can require both and I use both depends on the situation. I've got a lot invested in guitars and I have to use them, so I guess I have an equal relationship

19. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    I have a two watt portable amp- any electric that I have can go outside... ;)

And if I need to control the crowd, hitting them with a Tele is much more effective than an acoustic, the damn neck breaks off of the acoustic after about 10-12 blows... ;)

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I've given away every acoustic I've had over the years. Probably break down and buy another one dome day, then give it away.

elihu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.