Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hands up: who else just doesn't like acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Jan 2, 2018.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I may grab my acoustic off the rack and have another go.

I don't particularly care for the sounds they make even when played by people who are good at it, so I know there's virtually no chance of making one sound good to my ears.

There are entire styles of music that are built around the acoustic guitar, styles that clearly wouldn't work with another instrument, and that's cool, but I'm not overly fond of those styles, thus not overly fond of acoustic guitars.

I should probably work on my chops though since I may have to play one in church soon.

Hate acoustics? Nah? Just can't think of an acoustic guitar tune that moved me.

2. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Actually my Telecaster got dry and the frets came out so my telecaster did care. My acoustics not so much but they were in cases with DaDario Humidipaks. So maybe there was some difference. Now my music room, Uhmm back bedroom, is back to 50% humidity and all is well.

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I love my flattops. One of the great things about a flattop is that everything you do on it can translate over to an electric. The reverse is not true.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

4. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Love 'em. Nothing like it for some things.

Flat6Driver and Tommy Biggs like this.

5. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Loved the idea of them.
    Do own one.
    But hate playing it compared to a Fender C/ Gibson slim-taper neck (of any description).

6. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I began playing in 1957 and got my first electric in 1959. Sold my only electric in the mid 70's and owned only acoustics for the next 25 years. Never missed not having an electric during that time. Finally bought a used Peavey T-60 from a buddy's music store just for a couple recordings I was doing. I now own nearly as many electrics as acoustics (not counting my fiddle, mandolin, ukes or five string banjo), but still play 90% acoustic. That, to me, is a truer guitar sound. At least the guitar sound I think of when guitars are mentioned. 90% of what I play is far better suited to an acoustic.

When someone tells me they play guitar the first and only picture that comes to mind is an acoustic guitar unless they specified that they play electric guitar.

You see far more people performing solo and entertaining people with just an acoustic and their voice and no backing than you see people doing the same with an just an electric. An electric seems to need a band or backing, much like a trumpet, etc.

7. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I don't even own an acoustic. I prefer real guitars.

(runs and hides behind sofa)

beagle likes this.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I read thru this thread. It took a few passes. I'll admit it. And I'm not sure what I have to add except this. I haven't been liking my electric tone of late. Was it my amp? My guitars?

My wife wouldn't leave the room where I play a few evenings ago. She didn't want to disturb the dog who was asleep on the sofa next to her. I grabbed by acoustic and escaped into another room. I played and I had 'tone'. I didn't notice at first but I played for more than an hour, songs I hadn't played except on my acoustic and songs I had been playing and not liking on my electrics. What was different? Pure guitar tone. No reverb. No crunch or overdrive. My wife went uptairs with the dog and I got my Telecaster and plugged into the clean channel. I turned off the reverb. The only pedal I used was my Keeley 4 knob compressor, not as an effect, but just for a little tone shaping. I heard clarity in my tone for the first time in a long time. Playing my electric in a way that generated a pure guitar tone really resonated with me. I've plugged in three guitars this way, one more to go, and I think I'll be playing clean and pure for a while, taking a minimalist approach to effects. I really love playing electric but it was playing my acoustic and really listening to what I was playing that helped me get my tone back.

P Thought likes this.

9. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente, Ca
    I love my Martins, I've kinda gotten away from acoustic lately. Once you go electric full time, its like driving a Ferrari, then going back to a '56 Chevy Nomad wagon. Still cool, but not as slick.

10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Much the same as my not liking (can't even tolerate for a few seconds) the sound of an electric with any OD, distortion or a ton of effects. Many do, just not me and that is fine. I am fine with those that do as long as I don't have to listen.

beagle and hemingway like this.

11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I hate acoustic guitars, I also hate, oxygen, cheeseburgers, sex ( that one was even difficult to type ).
    I hate, the beach, mountains, the desert, beautiful women, fast cars, airplanes.
    I love the sound of an acoustic guitar, especially if someone like Tommy Emmanuel is playing it.

12. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2018
    Range View, Australia
    This reminds me of a thread I saw years ago on The Session ..." Are Guitars Really Necessary?"

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have an Epi AJ500 RE NS that belonged to my son that my daughter in law gave to me when he passed. I don't know if they are really hand built, or if it's just advertising, but I do know they are very good quality guitars. The only thing I had to do to it other than setting it up to my liking was reshape the saddle as it was a slightly different radius than the neck radius. I was extremely careful to maintain the original intonation of the saddle and got it spot on, now it plays and sounds even better. The dedicated pickups are really good, you can adjust them to quite a degree to attain a variety of tones, has to be something in there that would suit most anyone.

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm smiling more because of the dog photo. We had a Chihuahua and German Shepherd at same time. Both were dogs but not everyone agreed.

For the record, I love acoustic guitars. One could say my Santa Cruz is just wood and metal plus a little plastic but something really special is going on there.

:)

Ebidis likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.