Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hands up: who else just doesn't like acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Jan 2, 2018.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I know, I know, it's wrong. I have spent most of my guitar-playing life picking away at acoustics. But For the last 5 years I've played electric almost exclusively and it feels good.

I now only use an acoustic when I have to - when a recording wouldn't sound quite right with anything else.

But I'm not gonna be dishonest about it any more. Unless it's some old blues dude banging away at it like a gypsy on a tambourine, as Randy Newman would say, I just don't really like the sound of acoustic guitars.

I especially hate those strummy troubadours who use it like an emotion-meter - like when they strum quietly they're being "sensitive" and when they wallop those strings it signifies the moments when their girfriend really treated them badly and they felt it more deeply than the rest of us ever could. It's a cheap trick and I hate it. (Except when I do it it's okay)

I love lots of people who play acoustics, love their songs, their singing, their records. But I just don't want to play the damn things any more. Damn strummy thrummy things with no distortion or pedals or amps with flashing lights.

I have a really nice Crafter and it hangs just right on the wall. But the sound of it doesn't excite me.

I have played all kinds of acoustics over the years and they (steps into bomb shelter and shuts door) all sound the damn same to me.

There, I've said it. So, kids. It's okay not to like acoustics.

Or is it?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    it all starts with acoustic and one ought to be able to brig it all back to that, too

IMO

howardlo, Obsessed, Pickcity and 12 others like this.

3. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I do like the sound, played them for years, but lately, never. Not sure why. Electric just feels better to me.
    MD

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I prefer electric guitars, but acoustic guitars are indispensable, IMO.

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Can't do without my acoustic guitars
    but have to agree with the troubadour thingy the likes of Ed Sheeran please will he just go away with his whiny ass drivel

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I don' care much for playing them either. Acoustic and electric guitars are two different instruments. Related for sure but different. The saying goes that you should play what's in your head. Well the sounds in my head aren't acoustic guitar sounds. And at this point I don't care about the whole " well a well rounded musician should play both " stuff either. I don' claim to be a musician, however I am getting round. And when was the last time you heard somebody tell an acoustic player that in order to be considered a true player that they needed to play electric as well. I can play acoustic, I just don't care to

teleblueman and kookaburra like this.

7. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Depends on the music. I play a mixture of Irish folk tunes (the having it variety)
    And jazz/klezma, and I have tried playing the Irish on an electric, but you can only hit an electric so much, it just doesn't respond the same way..
    I've really enjoyed playing electric more than I have for years tho, and the appeal of the acoustic has dwindled.

8. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Click Bait! :eek:

Is this even a serious question?

Should we mention all the gimmicky tricks that some rockers play, and blame electric guitars?

Or blame electric guitars because a lot of players have crappy tone?

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I like when other people play them. Fills out a multi-guitar band nicely without being a wall of sound.

That being said, I play electric about 98% of the time. Acoustic comes out if I'm traveling and want a guitar.

gregulator450 likes this.

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The whole lot of them can go away! I mean, if you compare these Johnny come latelys to the singer/song writers of the late 1960s and early 1970s those guys really know how to play their instruments i.e chord voicing, use of open and closed chords, etc. These new guys are just bashing out percussive barre chords.

Plus he has a terrible sounding acoustic.

Grant Austin and hemingway like this.

11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    This clip is part of a show that convinced me to check out more of Jason Mraz' tunes. Compare it to the very produced and electric studio version.

12. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    So you don't like them except in those instances when you do.

I understand completely! I feel this way about country music.

13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    As much as I love electric guitar, and I really do,I prefer acoustic guitar.
    I too have gone for years playing only electric, but then I come back to an acoustic and find I'm better at it.

I think it's because I started on acoustic and played only acoustic guitar for the first 4-5 years.
    A lot of what I play on electric is the same stuff that translates better acoustic.

I admire folks who can excel at both styles. Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke is a perfect example.

elihu and titan uranus like this.

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    For me, different guitars, different instruments, etc... are like different colors or different types of paint. Each has its place in the spectrum and provides necessary color and feel when used appropriately. You don't always need to use blue, but it'd be hard to imagine Starry Night without it.

15. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I love my electrics, but since getting my acoustic last year I probably play that around 90% of the time. Much of that is about convenience, but I just love it.

I started on acoustic. I had a terrible one that wasn’t even set up. I swore I’d never pick up another acoustic after I got my first electric. That was until I picked up a good acoustic that didn’t have action just unbelievably high.

KyAnne and titan uranus like this.

16. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    No, I'm not a big fan either. I rarely play mine, only when there's no-one else home and then I only ever seem to play 'Tambourine Man' and 'The Weight'.

17. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I will say they don’t excite me like an electric might, but a nice acoustic is a treat to play. I love my Taylor, and I like how that company takes a less than traditional approach to building acoustics.

18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Yes, yes, yes.....!!

I was watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny on New Year's Eve just gone and, as midnight approached, Ed Sheeran wandered up to the microphone and started warbling. At that point, I started having this horrendous thought that 2018 was about to start with me looking and listening to Sheeran - aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!! Now, I've never met him and he's probably a very nice chap - I just don't like his music and I've never been a fan of the Cabbage Patch Kids.

Anyway, although I'm not anti acoustic guitar, I'm very selective about the "troubadour" artists I listen to. I have an acoustic guitar myself but it's the least used guitar I own - and probably for a reason.

19. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    It dependes on which one will get me sex that night...

20. MarkSmith76

MarkSmith76 TDPRI Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Sa Puso Mo
    I am mainly an acoustic player but I can't live without my tele.

howardlo, static111 and 985plowboy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.