Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Handling/Scraping Binding with a Metallic Finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by cbrewer9, Dec 4, 2017.

1. cbrewer9

cbrewer9 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Howdy TDPRI'ers!

I'm currently in the finishing process of a double bound tele in Reranch Ocean Turquoise. I'm not a first time builder or finisher, but this is my first time working with both binding AND a metallic finish.

So I didn't mask off the binding this time because "you have to scrape it anyways" :rolleyes: but I realized something... metallic finishes might be more delicate than a standard finish. Supposedly the best time to scrape is when the finish is still soft, but I am worried about handling the body while I do the scraping. I even built myself one of those fancy binding scraper tools (dowel rod with a razor blade), but now I'm worried about the dowel rod fouling up the metal flake in the finish.

Does anyone have an insight on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    wear cotton or latex gloves

wear a shirt with no buttons/zippers

you should be fine

BorderRadio likes this.

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Stare at it while you are working, be prepared to think fast. I have become used to my stereo magnifying lenses with the headband. They make me look funny and old, but I sure can see the thing I'm afraid of messing up.

BorderRadio likes this.

4. cbrewer9

cbrewer9 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I got to thinking that this finish is fairly similar in nature to a goldtop finish, so I read a few hundred threads about that. :cool:

The majority of threads I read sealed their powder coats with some sealer before moving on to scraping, so last night I ended up doing a few passes of sealer over the color coat just to be certain. It's pretty cold right now, so I think I should be scraping semi-soft lacquer tonight.

Thanks for all the help. I'll post some pics after I mess up a few more times!

5. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I just did a Les Paul Studio that I added binding to and made a goldtop.

People will tell you to scrape the binding but I used this pinstripe tape that's really flexible to mask as much of it as I could.

Once I was done I used the wrong end of an exacto knife to scrape what was on the binding off:

[​IMG]

6. cbrewer9

cbrewer9 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If only I had asked sooner... :oops:

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Subscribed because I’m doing metallic with binding very soon, OTM too, probably.

8. cbrewer9

cbrewer9 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Well guys... it wasn't perfect, but it was slow.

WP_20171206_23_52_01_Rich.jpg

The sealer seemed to go a good job. It could have probably used like 1 more pass (I did 2 light passes) because there were two parts where I got a little bit of a "rash" where the wooden dowel portion of my scraper tool was contacting the finish. It's very slight, and it could likely be lightly touched up.

A few pieces of advice from my experience:

1. It's pretty messy, so don't do it in the living room over your wife's favorite blanket while she watches. Seriously shavings get everywhere and they started sticking to the finish. I was worried it was melting or something, but it wasn't.

2. Make sure your razor is sharp, the blade is evenly burred, and you're going in the proper direction according to the blade.

The scraper tool is pretty excellent. It takes a little bit to get the hang of using it, but it cuts like butter when it's sharp and properly applied. I think it's a little tough getting in the tight areas around the neck pocket. I found myself having touching it up by hand after the fact.

3. When you make passes with the scraper, I found it was better to make sure your blade was extended almost to the very edge of the binding/wood boundary. Then scrape the entire width (height?) of the binding regardless of where the pesky lacquer might be.

In other words, don't try to do lengthy touchups by only extending the blade halfway or something. It tends to leave uneven scratch marks in the binding.

4. Don't panic, and take your time.

The worst mistakes I made on the process happened when I was not paying attention or when I was trying to brute-force something. There were even two distinct moments when I was literally thinking "man this is really easy" or "I'm actually really great at this" and then I gouged the finish... :cry:

WP_20171206_23_52_40_Rich.jpg

When I was done with the scraping, I took the guitar back outside and hung her up. I used a clean t-shirt rag with some naptha to clean off the scraping residue. It worked like a charm.

I'll be drop filling the scratches later tonight. The binding might get a little bit of treatment as well. There are a few stray scratches and uneven sections. Luckily I was intending on giving this guy a light relic when it was finished, so I'm not hell-bent on perfection. It's better to learn on something when perfection isn't the end goal.

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with the results and I will definitely be utilizing some masking tape next time.

BorderRadio likes this.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks pretty good, love the color.

Did you scrape after laying down the white primer? How long did you wait between primer coat and color coats? How long did you wait before scraping the reranch color coat?

10. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    What you want is 1/8" vinyl tape because it stretches and you'll be surprised at how well you can get it to mask just the binding.

I have scraped binding before but doing it this way took me maybe 10 minutes of carefully masking and 5 minutes of scraping.

BorderRadio likes this.

11. cbrewer9

cbrewer9 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I didn't scrape after the primer coat since the white primer with the white binding match. I put the first primer coat down a little over a week ago. I let it dry a day and then sanded down any weird parts before shooting another coat. After the second primer coat dried a day, i gave it a very light sand to remove any dust or remaining imperfections.

The first color coat went on 2 days later. It consisted of several light passes over the entire body in which I would alternate spraying patterns (horizontal pass followed by a vertical pass followed by a diagonal pass and so on). Be careful not to spray it too thick or uneven at this stage. I let it dry a day or so before giving it a few dusting coats where I tried to even out the finish and touch up any missed areas.

Then about a day or so later, I put on a very light sealer coat in the morning followed by another in the evening. The next day I was on to scraping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.