Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Hand issues/guitar specs free for all

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by neckradius, Jan 10, 2017.

1. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2013
    New York
    I'm curious what any and all of you who deal with some kind of hand issue (like a pain or medical issue) and what specs on necks and whatnot have worked for you. I know its going to be different for everyone.

Me, I have carpal tunnel. I wear braces at night that have helped tremendously, though I suspect I'll need the surgery one day. I don't have it from guitar playing, rather, I sleep funny. But guitar playing can aggravate it and it can make guitar playing hard. I focus a lot more on proper posture and hand position and technique than I used to- also a help. Anyway, I'm mostly playing a standard fender tele and strat these days- the 9.5 radius, "modern C" and all that. I'd like to add a 24.75 guitar. I wonder if that will have any effect on the hand or wrist. I suspect no. As for radius, I'm not sure what would affect what. For neck profile, I tend to like thicker- a little more relaxed and natural for me. Not that what I own are all that big or anything.

Anyway, what issues have you had and what specs have you found have helped you, or not helped you?

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    The fatter the better. I got a Tele neck from Musikraft, a "Fat D", .9 x 1.0 thick, Nut Width: 1-11/16 (42.85mm), Heel Width: 2-3/16 (55.56mm). It's a baseball bat. After a little getting used to, it is the most comfy one I've played. I'm late '50s, so I have the usual hand soreness if I play a lot on the skinny necks, but not with this one. Works for me, but as always, YMMV.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Lace Cybercaster, designed for carpel tunnel.
    12. degree twisted neck.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    Been very lucky with my hands. I prefer vintage necks, 7.25 radius with thin frets on an early 60s neck. Not fat nor thin. The PRS is of course a shorter scale, fat frets and a 12 inch radius thin D neck. I got it for the sound, its by no means my main guitar but I definately prefer the Tele neck. I use 11 gauge strings as well, no problems so far after 40 plus years of playing.

6. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    I have Dupuytren's contractures, the Viking disease. Runs in my family and Set in early after a string of fretting hand injuries. Pinky is almost useless other fingers lost about 50% dexterity.
    I find the 7.25 radius, vintage frets and soft v shape neck to work best for me- but then that's what I always used in the past lol.
    Also maple fretboard seems to introduce less drag, and that helps.
    11 gauge pure nickel strings.

Again aside from the maple board that's how I always liked it so maybe it's just a comfort zone thing.

I still play lots of different configurations, a lot of acoustic too, just as always.

7. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    I have issues with my wrist, and prefer a thin neck like on my 09 Am Deluxe.

I had to look that one up, looks pretty interesting. I'd like to try one out, if I ever see one.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My hands swell up from a day of work on the property and find that the chunky necks are more playable. FWIW.

9. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I've got basal thumb arthritis in both hands. Here's a description: pound a 16 penny nail into your thumb base then go about your day. I'm close to where anything requiring me to 'pinch' my thumb to fingers is impossible, so surgery is looming I guess.

On the left side one good thing is you don't need or want 'pinch strength' on a guitar neck, so I can still play, albeit it hurts + my thumb cannot do what it used to for fretting. The left thumb caused me to jettison all guitars with the 'fat' necks everybody raves about years ago, and that included some great ones. I tried playing position changes etc but nope. Shape didn't matter if it was really deep profile: they all hurt, just from my thumb being slightly bent back. A real V neck that isn't so deep also kills it.

I now play all 'medium' C-type necks, ranging from a '52 J-45 through an AV'62 Tele. I can play any radius, no issue there. I prefer 1&11/16" width but if it's 1&3/4" and a nice profile, no problem. I have a CVC Tele with a very slim but flat profile, my thumb doesn't like it much. It's all about the entire back shape of a neck for me.

I used to love fat necks on old Gibson flattops etc, and do think that my preference today is mostly guided by the stupid arthritis. But even way back when I could play anything I remember especially liking early Taylor guitars for their comfort & playability, so a nice C has likely always been calling my name.

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I've one for sale. Being as there were only 300 made,
    (And only by two luthiers)
    Some 12 yrs ago, It has to bring pretty close to list, however.
    Those new ' Asian copies' are not the same animal, at all.

11. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2014
    Syracuse NY
    My damaged index finger prefers a 9.5 compound radius verses a Les Paul neck.
    Not sure why, but playing the 12" radius brings more pain.
    YMMV

12. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I have a variety of neck sizes & play whichever one feels good on a particular day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.