Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hand-held cordless planer for body blanks?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by newuser1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    I'm considering buying a thickness planer like one of these 2:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.13-in-thickness-corded-planer.1000484118.html ($400 CAD)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-12-1-2-in-planer-with-stand-0555503p.html#srp (soon to be on sale for $300 CAD)

Would I be able to plane body blanks with a hand-held planer like the one below, or should I go for one of the 2 planer above?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.one-18-volt-1-12-in-cordless-hand-planer.1000122162.html

2. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have very little experience so my "technique" for want of a better word, may have been wrong...

I bought a similar one for the same purpose but it was about (from memory) 15mm to narrow to fit a strat body in. Mine I think is either a 315mm or 330mm model. whatever it was, it wasn't big enough for the full body.

This was bloody annoying as i had already glued up my body!

I ended up hand planning to the thickness and will have to remember to plane to size before gluing up next time.

So my only advice is double check the width of material that will not only fit but the working area of the blade. Often the working areas is less than what you can squeeze in.

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Get the proper machine planer and do as Mad Kiwi says. Hand helds are useless for thicknessing. Better off going the router sled route.

SacDAve likes this.

4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'm not sure how well the hand held would work on body blanks even before you glue it up. if it were me I'd go with the first one. They work great and I think you can get a full body blank through a 13 incher. I use a Dewalt 12 inch and it is a valuable tool.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You want a 13" planer or at least make yourself a router planing jig. Anything else will be less satisfying and more work. Body blanks really need to be 13" wide before cutting them out. Save up for a 13 and you'll be glad you did.

6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I thought that you meant this sort of hand held cordless planer;

upload_2018-6-13_11-49-23.png

Lots of fine instruments made with them.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I used to rough out my blanks with a hand held planer followed by a belt sander. A little more work but it works just fine.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    get the 13" wide unit... but its not intended for a huge volume.... and start saving for a panel sander... the planer only gets it to the correct thickness.. the panel sander gets the two sides parallel and nice and professionally flat.

rk

D'tar likes this.

9. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    I guess I'll try making a router sled jig first then....

10. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    You're a better man than me if u can do anything with a hand held. I even tried to mount mine on skis for thickness planing. I even mounted it on a radial arm saw thinking i could slide it back and forth and get clean cuts. What a mess i made

11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Follow the smart money and get the proper machine and a wide drum sander. Good to go for many applications.

Dc

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    I've seen a hand held power planer used in only one imaginable application where it actually was the proper tool for the job, and that was shaving the undersides of ceiling joists to get them relatively level before hanging sheetrock. The kind of job that involves hogging out lots of material fast, without necessarily requiring any degree of furniture-making precision (after all everything got smoothed out with drywall mud and covered in paint).

Axis29 and RogerC like this.

13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Hand held power planers (battery or corded) are for the edges of doors, not surfacing. I wouldn't want to try joining boards with one, either.

A big smoothing plane, like a #7 or #8 is good for flattening a surface, and smoothing them out. But, they take work and experience, especially if you are trying to make two surfaces parallel.

For what you are asking for a router sled will work quite well.

RogerC likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.