Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hammond Vs Classictone OT/PT

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Emresound, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Emresound

Emresound Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2013
    Sydney
    Happy new year everyone.

2018 is here and ideas of new builds are here too.
    I was interested in finding out what people think of Hammond and how they fare vs Classictone transformers. I know in the USA the classictone are easier to get a hands on but overseas, especially down under, they are harder to come by or people jack up the prices (seen a few on ebay at inflated prices) so keen to hear what everyone's experience is.

How do these PTs & OTs match up? I'd imagine for PTs, it doesn't make much difference but OTs will have variations, no?

2. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Both companies offer quality products. One can mix and match brands so long as the components are correctly mated.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Classictone is Hammond's guitar amp specific brand, I thought. They just have a few less doodads like ultralinear taps.

4. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Classictone aren’t Hammond, they’re Magnetic Components Inc I think.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    My bad - Classic is just what they call their tube audio line. I wouldn't be surprised if, like Eminence in speakers they didn't supply branded OEM for vendors.

6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Hammonds are excellent but very expensive.
    Mag Comp are excellent and not as expensive.
    I have some Mag Comps in a 6G6B Bassman I built and they are really excellent--the output transformer just seems to work great, sounds so good.

7. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I love Hammond. Their 1750e Tweed Deluxe has a great, full tone. I've used it for a Harvard, Vibrolux, and Tweed Deluxe. I've used half a dozen of their 290bx PT's on builds, even one export model, and every one measured the same voltages every single time. If you go to their site for the specs, they keep upgrading available current ratings, which makes me think they are still working on things and improving them. Most websites that carry Hammond iron are all outdated and list lower specs than current levels.

8. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Pretty comparable in my experience, I wouldn't go out of my way or pay extra for one over the other. Edcor are good as well, and a similar price point, but I don't know if those are available where you are.

9. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    True, Hammond do have a Classic line.

Interestingly, in Australia Classictone and Hammond are similar price, with Hammond probably winning out on most models for amps 30 watts and under as you can get them from Mouser with free shipping. The bigger transformers incur a shipping cost which erodes the difference in price.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    awasson likes this.

10. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

Depends where you are. As a Canadian, Hammonds end up sometimes half as cheap as ordering Mag Comps after shipping and duties. Also, I can pick them up locally and not have to pay any shipping.

awasson likes this.

11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Right, excellent point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.