Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hammond AO-29 transformer limits

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Diverted, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Diverted

Diverted TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    Hi all,

I have a power transformer from a Hammond AO-29 amp. The transformer (AO-24110) ran push pull 6V6GTss. I have been trying to find specs on this transformer, and Google results vary. My question is, does anyone know the current rating of the high voltage secondary? Trying to determine what it can handle. I read a thread somewhere saying that the transformer can handle 6L6s up to 35 watts. From the post:

"As I said I have one of each type that came on the AO29 the 380-0-380 is 4.5"x3.75"x1.625" core dimension weighs about9 lbs. The 320-0-320 (AO24110) 3.75"x3.125"x1.625" weighs about 6lbs.

If the one you have matches the second one, it is great iron for a 6v6 (tube or SS recto) will even handle 6l6s up to 35watts or so.

-Andy"

I ask because I'm thinking about building a cathode-biased Fender Pro 5E5, which ran at about 25 watts. Does anyone have any insight on whether this transformer could handle that? Thanks!

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    You know offhand which Hammond that came from? You can guesstimate the available HT capacity by adding together the total of all the tubes in the organ.

3. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2010
    Orange City, IA
    I have done two AO-29 conversions now. One is a Bassman-ish running 6L6GC's and the other is AB763 / Trainwreck style running 6V6's. I don't know what the current is, but the PT has been very stout and the amps run well.

4. Diverted

Diverted TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Bristol RI
    Thanks kleydejong. That's really good to know. Just to be sure, you're using the AO-24110 transformer with the Bassman 6L6 build? I ask because from what I've read the AO-29 amp came with two different transformers.
    Also, how do you have your GCs biased and what kind of wattage is the amp dissipating?
    Thank you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.