Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hamer P-Bass copy: is it worth 90 bucks?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by haggardfan1, Nov 25, 2017.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Local startup music/instruction/setup place has a red Hamer bass, under reconstruction. When done it will have new pots and jack, and be set up.

It has a maple fretboard, tinted as vintage, and kind of a pearloid guard. No case, or at least none was mentioned.

Thoughts? Is it worth $90? I know nothing of the Hamer brand.

Edit: Dang I wish I had snapped a picture. Might still be able to do so, if you folks don't discourage me over the weekend.

2. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    All the ones on reverb are $140+

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    If it plays decently, go for it. 90 bucks is what, 2 tanks of gas? A P-bass of any kind is probably more fun than that.

Zepfan, brogh and haggardfan1 like this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Almost any bass, if it plays ok and sounds ok is worth $90....if they're "reconstructing" it, it should have a new set of strings....that's $20 or so. I bought my Korean Fender Squier P-bass (20+ years ago) for $100....well worth it. Maybe if you go ahead and buy it they'll put flatwounds on.....my preference for a traditional bass sound.
    .P.S. I don't care for the pointy headstock I've seen on Hamers, but that doesn't affect playability.

haggardfan1 likes this.

5. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I've eyed it every time I've been in the store. He has an Affinity Tele of mine working on it, so I'll drop back by next week. I'd like to play the bass when it's all reassembled.

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Forget about price for a minute.

Pick it up...is it too heavy? Does it balance well on a strap? Plug it in. Does it sound good and stay in tune? How's the action? Can you see yourself playing it for a few years?

There's no use buying something that's a good buy if you are not going to like it in 6 months.

Nickadermis and haggardfan1 like this.

7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    +1 the neck is the most important IMHO, a lot of budget P &J copies only play Ok because they have more relief than a better instrument, basic truss rods & inexpensive neck blanks makes them almost impossible to get straight, it's more noticeable in basses than guitars because of the extra scale length; not that there aren't good ones available. I have a P that came w/ a Crate start pack. It's a decent instrument, smooth tuners and a solid neck w/nice pocket, sounds pretty good. I bought a after market J neck on the cheap for it,but have never used it as the stock one is more than fine. Hardware, pickups etc are all easy to swap out, but unless you get lucky as I did replacing the neck can be a major expense.

nojazzhere, haggardfan1 and elihu like this.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    The neck might be 51% for me too.

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Hamer of korean origin generally very good.

Rustynuts likes this.

10. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I certainly hope this post wasn't intended to be as offensive as I read it to be. If so, mods feel free to intervene. I'm done with this thread.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    It’s probably plywood.
    It also will probably look, play and sound just fine.

nojazzhere likes this.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I didn't mention my Korean Fender Squier has a plywood body....lightweight, and sounds just like a bass. :)

brookdalebill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.