Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hall of Fame 2. Anybody tried one?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by EddieLocrian, Sep 20, 2017.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Hi,

I’m in the market for a reverb pedal at the moment and been looking at the usual suspects etc.
    I would like it to do the shimmer thing.

I noticed on That Pedal Show that Joey Landreth (The Landreth Bros.) carries around a TC electronics Hall of Fame. So I figure if they are good enough for him then theres a statement!

Anyhows, turns out the new Hall of Fame 2 has a new shimmer mode etc. So for nearly half the price of the Empress, Blue Sky etc it may well do a good job. Trouble is most Utube reviews feature the original pedal at the moment and so really I wanted to ask if anybody’s taken the plunge and bagged one?

If so, what do you really think, is it too good to be true?

Also, regards shimmer, I hear some are octave up some are 5th up - what’s the 'norm' octave or 5th?

thanks,

Regards - Eddie.

2. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    That Pedal show has an episode on the new TC pedals where they try the shimmer reverb.

As I recently bought the original Hall Of Fame I can say that the reverb quality blew me away. Really impressive what they can do in a pedal and the analog dry through and kill dry features are really neat. It even has a buffer that can be switched on or off for true or buffered bypass.
    Haven't tried the new version though, but according to TC the quality is the same with added features.

Regards,

Lars

3. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Thanks, I saw the episode you mention and the video looked good, I was just wondering about the opinions of anybody who has tried one (specifically the shimmer type) against the likes of Strymon or Polara etc?

I'm feeling like its too early for anybody to have picked one up yet, but thanks for your input re Version 1.

I'm seeing you are in Denmark, is that anywhere near the TC factory?

Ok - Eddie.

4. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Yeah, it look pretty cool, but decided I could do without the new features and got a used one at half price. Very happy with that.
    I used to live close to the TC headquarters, but never had any relations. Would guess they are no longer producing locally but don't know really.
    Always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with their stuff.

Regards,

Lars

5. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Hmm,
    Love/hate, sounds like a bummer, was it build quality problems or just the pedal itself?

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I've not tried the HOF2. I had the first version but eventually sold it.

May I ask if you've tried the BOSS RV6? I see you're interested in shimmer and it has that feature. Well regarded online, with the recommendation that the tone knob be set around 9 o'clock.

7. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    The pedal is great imo - it's more because they made such awesome stuff in the 80's and then it all went wrong in mid 90's with their digital stuff. It does seem like they a doing it right these days, so good on them..

Regards,

Lars

8. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Thanks Gents.

Dont concider Boss at the moment.
    Its because it just happens that all my current pedals on the board are true-bypass.
    So I didnt want to put a Boss on the end of the chain, which is just me being picky.
    Thanks for suggestion though.

Ed.

9. cgtrman

cgtrman TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2012
    The Colony
    Actually having your last pedal in the signal chain have buffered bypass is much better than a true-bypass.

E5RSY likes this.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    BOSS invented "Shimmer". I'd get the RV-6. And the buffer is a PLUS, too.

hrstrat57 likes this.

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Not a fan of shimmer but TC's is more ethereal than most. Love my Wet2 but was VERY much liking what I was hearing from a buddies HOF2 the other day. I think that mash switch is brilliant!

12. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Thanks for your input here.
    Cheers.

13. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    Brian Eno invented....

Modman68 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.