Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hadean Antiquity from Rondo

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Danno, Aug 7, 2014.

1. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Well lmk if you do.

2. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Well Im going with one of these over the sawtooth and moneyprice. I already have a Hadean acoustic and the quality is fantastic for the $70. With a 491 Ill kinda know what Im getting. Not much selection at the moment so I hope theres more coming in Jan like Kurt said. From the neck measurements posted here Im sure it will be fine, I have a Univox with a neck very close to those numbers.
    Thanks for all the info posted here, seems to be more then anywhere else.

3. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    I have one of these (see photo) coming from Rondo in a day or two. It's not an "Antiquity" but, it will be a great platform for (2) Seymour Duncan Fat Cat P-90s.
    I have a ($80.00) Hadean Strat copy that I completely gone through, 6 months ago. I've been playing the heck out of it for about 6 months now. This Hadean Strat copy stays in perfect tune and plays wonderful. It sounds great with D.A. Texas Flood pups too. I am hoping that this Tele version from Rondo will turn out just as well.

Attached Files:

4. Journeyman22

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Well, I got it, I haven't stopped playing it since I pulled it out of the box! I really lucked out on this one. Oh, the neck looks like it's been darkened to look like it has been aged. The set up is as good as my G&L ASAT Blues Boy Tele. The pups are pretty good too. I'm in no hurry to up-grade this guy. She plays just fine box stock.

5. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Good to hear....do you think its worth $150....thats what it would cost me to get one to my door here in Canada...lol

6. Journeyman22

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    notme,
    I wouldn't have a problem paying $200.00 for the one I got. I primarily got it for upgrading. The way it is stock, is so good, I may wait for a while, and just have fun playing it. Heck, I haven't even pulled off the plastic protection on the pg and pups yet.
    Good Luck!

Attached Files:

7. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    That is awesome....look at that.. $89 bucks you got a trem, 2 hums, 2 vol 2 tone and that neck looks fantastic! They are good sellers, there was 9 models to choose from less then 10 days ago, now there is 5.
    I was looking at another bargain of theirs, the Omega LP copy...set neck and all, $140. I wonder how those are....

8. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Are you referring to that CAR HH tele? That was the first Rondo guit I bought. Mine had the chunkier SX necks too (wish I woulda hung onto that). Upgraded the pots to 500k tho. I wish it weighed a bit more was my only beef. Member madjack owns it now.

I wish Kurt would do a more authentic version of a deluxe, i.e. hardtail.

9. Journeyman22

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    bender66,
    I wasn't expecting this version of this "deluxe" Tele to be this good. Going by the last (2) guitars I purchased from Rondo. They weren't really bad, they just needed a good set up, pups, and caps, pots, and fret job. My plan for this Tele is SD Phat Cat, P-90 pups along with "Jonsey Blues" wiring harness. Tuners, Earvana nut, and of course new strings. I haven't changed the strings yet.
    After playing it for 2 days now (about 12 hours worth) I am first going to fine tune the tremolo Just a little bit, adjust the sting height just a tiny bit too.
    I will eventually remove the neck and replace the wood screws with S/S machine screws and S/S inserts. I will more than likely re-level, re-crown and polish the frets while I have it apart. I am sure it will be minimal work though. It's cool to be able to enjoy and have fun playing it for now without having to disassemble the whole guitar right from the get go.

10. Slidertom

Slidertom Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2014
    So-Cal
    Journeyman22, what is the Tele on the left? Looks niiice!

11. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Journeyman did you lift the pickguard to check the cavitys or do you know for sure it will fit p90's?

12. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    The Furrian HH I bought from bender66 is now one of my favorites. I got it with the original ceramic Humbuckers. To me they were okay, nothing spectacular. I swapped in a set of GFS Hot Liverpool RetroTrons. They were too hot. Then a set of Memphis Retrotrons, they were decent, but not really what I thought they would be. I took the Epiphone Classic AlNiCo Pros out of my ES-339, as I felt they were too warm sounding for that guitar and I put them in the Furrian. Lo and behold, I found what I was after, not too bright, not too hot, clean to dirty and nice break up. I was actually contemplating selling the guitar back to bender66, but not now (Sorry!).

I agree, I would rather have a hardtail, but I can live with this, as I have the tremolo decked for now.

[​IMG]

My Rondo Tele Collection, from the right:

• Douglas Gravity Semi-hollow, routed for a private label Vintage P90 and a Buddha Custom Hand Wound Telecaster Bridge.
    • SX Furrian Ash with Fender Original Vintage Telecaster Bridge and same privite label Modern Telecaster Neck (specs very similar to the OVT Neck).
    • And the SX Furrian HH as described above.

The two single coil Teles have four-way switching. All three have had some degree of fret leveling, but only a minor amount. The fattest neck is the bound neck on the Ash. The thinnest (but no by much) is the Douglas. Then Ash is the heaviest and the lightest is the Douglas. I don't know the exact weights, but they are not unreasonable for their respective body styles and materials, what I would expect from each of them.

The Ash already has Grover Tuners, but the stock tuners on the other two are pretty good for cheap guitars like these. All three had ceramic pickups. All the pups were too bright and hot for my taste, though some like them. No one seems to like the necks very much on either of the SCs, being too muddied sounding.

All three have been great modding platforms for the DIYers. They make decent cheap beginner's guitars with a good setup. I think if you could afford a little more, a Squier would be a better beginner's guitar, but sometimes you can only get what can be afforded.

13. Journeyman22

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    That's my "G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy" I have played it so much the frets are showing some serious wear. My first G&L, I think they are really nice guitars.
    notme,
    The SD Phat Cat P90s are made the same size as the stock Humbuckers. They should be here in a few days, I also got the Jonesyblues wiring harness with jack and 3 way switch on the way too. It should be a fun conversion.

Madjack,
    That's a nice looking collection of Teles you have there! I'm just hoping to get the nice tones I long for with my new "SD Phat Cat P90s" and new harness. How dose the p90 sound that left Tele? I see it's a simi hollow body.

14. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    It has a nice warm mellow tone. More midrange-y than the Ash's Tele neck pup, which has a bit more emphasis on highs and lows. It's a nice warm jazzy tone, with a touch of Tele Twang. The P90 Semi-hollow would be a nice accompaniment with an acoustic set type of tone, while the solid-body Tele would more compatible with an electric set. I would think the P90 in a solid body it might get a little sharper, crunchier sounding, more Rock & Roll.

15. stratman1969

stratman1969 TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Herndon, VA
    Bender66: Do you still own the antiquity? I'm wondering if I should buy one for my first Tele, or hold out for something like a Squier CV.

16. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Yes I still have it. I see he finally has them back in stock. At the price it would make an excellent first tele.

17. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    they changed the headstock on the new batch...:(

18. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    If you check that listing at Rondo, it even says that the headstock was reshaped and there's a picture of the new one at the bottom.

The only problem I have with their guitars is that most of them have 2 1/4" neck pockets instead of 2 3/16", so license Fender necks don't fit correctly. The pockets are also deeper on all the ones I've had so far, so a fair amount of shimming is required.

19. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I'm not sure that's accurate. That pic shows a maple neck. The Antiquity is a RW. It "might" have remained the same as the pic ( I'm guessing so) This is typical of Kurt to mismatch ad descriptions.

Memorex is correct. I was also hoping it might have F neck specs. It's a decent import neck though. I did no fret work at all to it. He's adding more RW necks to his tele type line & the headstock shape is more appealing than the Furrian.

20. Journeyman22

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Three different animals. Waylon would be proud of the black one. I'm enjoying being able to switch around to hear the personal personality of these three. The Bakersfield Lion in the black one makes it so country, sounds like country should. So addicting.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.