Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Had to eject a 61yr old woman from work today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

After having done 40 years in public transit, you did good Wet Bandit. Dealing with nasty people is never easy.
    Sports builds character? Tell that to the sports parents.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    So you want to take the pile of crap that WB stepped in and bring it here...smear it around? Nurture the "boomers suck" mantra?

Never in my life did I have hate for a previous generation. Quite the opposite. You guys are building yourselves a more depressing future than anyone could hand you...

3. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016

I have nothing against any generation WT.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

A 61 year old isn't old enough to say that. What a ridiculous line. There's no generation gap like there was between boomers and their parents.

awasson likes this.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    WB, in other replies mostly. It's just confusing to me the logic of spewing insults at anyone because of when they were born. Go ahead and giggle at them for silly, dumb stuff they do individually...but don't be so obtuse as to historically branding someone of a certain age for the economic evolution of society.

Not at you, just the thread...

Toto'sDad likes this.

6. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    I'm head mechanic.

We only have 2 full time employees, and 3 part time. It's a really small 16 lane mom and pop shop.

I only dealt with the lady, because the 19yr old guy running the desk was not sure what to do in that situation.

We don't really have a "manager"

Me and my friend basically run the place we just don't technically get the title.

So yea in my work environment where it has been over 100 degrees for the past few weeks, I was wearing a tank top.

I understand.

And no one from my generation has room to say anything...look at the current state of social affairs.

This isn't/wasn't about a generational void. It was about respect and decency.

william tele likes this.

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ

61 could have been at woodstock. I'm 65; I was there at 17, I could have brought a 13 year old sibling (but I didn't only had a 15 year old one)

61 Is NOT too old to have fought in the Gulf War. I'm 65 and a "Desert Storm" Veteran. 61 Also could have been with me in Grenada and Panama too. along with Beirut (brought home bodies) and evacuations of Embassies in Zaire (78) and Liberia (90). As far as Social Security, 61 can't get it unless widowed until 62 and you can't get social security unless you contributed.

8. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    People don't realize that being nice gets you a lot farther than being mean. If you have an issue, if you come in with a smile and politely explain, great let's work together. If you come in demanding things, and just starting things off with a bad attitude, things aren't gonna go in your favor. Where I work, I give rude people the short stick, just the other day a woman came in to my place of employment being very rude and demanding, so I told her I couldn't help her, did I have what she needed? Yes, did she deserve it? No

9. voodoostation

voodoostation Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2007
    Midlothian, Va
    I called Mom this morning and she's still pissed at you Bandit...:D

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay, I understand, since well you and I kind of fall into the group that's being maligned, no I'm not talking about your propensity for wearing skirts and calling them kilts, I'm talking about our age groups, me more than you. If some whippersnapper were to dress me down like that in public, I'd probably just hose him down, ughhh the thought of immersing someone in that kind of old man smell even repulses me, but hey, you gotta go with what works for you.

william tele likes this.

11. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    My daughter worked her way through college working at Subway. She has so many stories. There are people who only go to restaurants or bowling alleys just to cuss out the staff.

WetBandit and awasson like this.

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I disagree with the respect your elders' attitude encouraged by a majority. I was in a group interview a few months ago for a job and somehow this topic came up when discussing equality in the company (which they made a massive deal out of but it is a hot topic at the moment) and I said, "I don't believe in respect your elders', I think we should respect everyone who deserves it, regardless of their age." Everyone went quiet but the interviewer said, "Exactly!".

The enthesis is on the "who deserves it" part. Anyone who looks down on you for being significantly younger and feels they're entitled to extra special treatment because of it doesn't deserve it. I'm guessing because you know she's 61 and she made a bigger deal about being older than what's come across. I wouldn't have stood for it and I've done it before in my last job as a supervisor when I've been asked who's in charge by rude customers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    WetBandit likes this.

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    It's tricky when you're in charge, no one higher up to pass it up to so you can apologise and walk away from the situation so someone else can tell her to get lost. ;)

14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    True.

The situation I related to a few posts back was initiated when my counter guy came up to me and said:

Hey there's a guy at the counter who wants to yell at you.

I said: Oh really, why?

Him: Because he's tired of yelling at me.

My counter guy was awesom and I really appreciated his dry sense of humour when relaying info like that.

P Thought, boris bubbanov and Asmith like this.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

She was actually 71, but the line is still ridiculous.

Boomers did try to make their own way, but with all this time passed, a lot of them IMO are closer to their parents, perhaps, because they've had time to spend with them (if they chose) that simply wasn't possible when people died more often in their 70s and not so much closer to 100.

16. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016

No, she is really 61, she just did her math incorrectly, I have a copy of her medical bill and her ID.

P Thought likes this.

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

My point is that I'm 61, and I know how utterly pretentious it would sound if I told someone that they didn't know how to speak to someone of my generation.

awasson and WetBandit like this.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, but some people in this age range look 20 years older and act as though they're the oldest of the old, and one step from the Grave.

And they were pretentious when they were 29; nothing ever changed.

19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

And when that fails, "Ma'am, why don't you jump up and kiss my. . . ?"

20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    The customer isn't always right. ;)

Some customers when they pay money to an establishment, think it's a license to be abusive. And you don't need that kind of business, and grief, in your life.

awasson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.