Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hacking a Strat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mrpants, Oct 7, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have a Strat body laying about for a few years. This may have sparked me. And I have some mini humbuckers I've not used the second of two sets yet either.

My one lone Strat is Strat perfection to me and just never thought I needed a second. Unlike the myriad of Teles and variants the tdpri has infected me with bench compulsions to cobble...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    mrpants likes this.

2. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    She's looking good, can't wait to see the final product.

mrpants likes this.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I love Tru-oil, good choice! Be careful around these parts, it goes on thinner and protects better than nitro ;)

4. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    And you can work at the kitchen table!

5. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Yeah, the milk paint can be sprayed but it needs to be thinned and strained and on top of that I don't have equipment or a space and it's 35 degrees outside. Plus I didn't want a smooth look. I used a bristle brush for a more textured look. Foam would yield a smoother surface. I plan on doing a lot of layers of oil on top with sanding between which should hopefully keep some of the dynamic appearance of the finish while adding a degree of smoothness.
    To your other point, I agree. I'm kind of bored by the same old guitars. This isn't as much of a departure as I'd like to try but it's a start. At any rate, I had the thing sitting around, may as well have some fun with it.

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Milk paint? So why did you add water instead of half&half?? :cry:

7. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    I do get the joke, but for info's sake, I guess the stuff is made with casein (milk protein) and lime as the primary ingredients. So, if you want to make a vegan mad, paint their house with it.

Barncaster, awasson and robt57 like this.

8. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Finishing update. Maybe about a dozen layers into tru oil application. That number is a little fluid as I've been sanding back in between. IMG_7670.JPG
    I was going for a textured look that shows the grain and I'm really pleased with the result. In the right light, the blue is very slightly translucent as well. IMG_7675.JPG

The neck I think is done, just need to smooth out the edge along the tape and also I like to hit the back of the neck with steel wool just to knock it back a touch for a naked, frictionless feel. Oil brought out a little flame but only in half of the neck. IMG_7672.JPG IMG_7671.JPG

9. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Wow! That looks really amazing!

Love the color and the sheen you have so far. Really looking forward to your next update!

10. samuelmorrissey

samuelmorrissey TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Looks really great!

The grain really pops through, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

11. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    +1! It’s one thing to cut an old body into an interesting shape, even when really well done from a strictly woodworking standpoint.
    It’s quite another to have the eye to see the *right* shape and the aesthetic instincts to carry the lines of the body shape through the other elements as you’ve done with the pickguard, headstock and your pickup choice. Good design like good music requires rhythm.
    Well done sir, well done indeed!

John Nicholas likes this.

12. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Many layers and episodes of sanding back later...
    I didn't count, but the end result has quite a few layers of tru oil. Probably at least 25-30 applications. In between I did various degrees of sanding and steel wool. This was all very unscientific. My goal was to preserve some of the textured look but leave it with a nice smooth feel. Kind of a happy side effect was that the color seems to have taken on a nice variety of hues due to variations in the sanding and oil penetration. Very dimensional. Overall I'm very pleased with the experiment.
    (And finally a sunny day for photos!)
    IMG_7689.JPG IMG_7690.JPG IMG_7691.JPG IMG_7694.JPG IMG_7693.JPG

13. Kriticaster

Kriticaster TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Very nice! She’s coming along well!!

Await with bated breath for the final assembly and catwalk show!

mrpants likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.