Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hacking a Strat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mrpants, Oct 7, 2017.

1. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Got some feedback, did a little more fiddling. I think this is going to be it. IMG_7605.JPG

2. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great. I like it!!!

3. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    I have the same knobs on a guitar or two. With them, because of rubber rings, you make the strong grip, especially when they are fresh instaled.

I like your project.

Minimalist518 likes this.

4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That looks sweet!!

5. betocool

betocool TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    It looks pretty good! In fact, you could leave it clear coated and it would still be very cool. Congrats!

6. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Yeah, this is just cardstock, but I actually really like the look of the natural wood with the craft paper look.
    Unfortunately, the body is a 3 piece with veneer and the veneer has several patches that would make even staining an issue. So paint it is.

7. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Pickguard cut! I didn't take pictures of the process, but I definitely didn't have the proper tools to do it easily. Used a dremel with cutting bit for rough cut and then with sanding drum to add the bevel and to fine tune and smooth out the shaping. Here's a mock up minus the pickups and selector switch.
    IMG_7611.JPG IMG_7610.JPG
    For pickups the Novak foils are still looking like first choice. Probably the "s" style covers to match with the curves of the guitar and guard. 55B0B219-645A-4F12-B025-8E3AFDA99A5C-39846-000022EEE16E7304.jpeg
    I think I may not get the thing painted before the weather turns too cold here in the Midwest... so it might be spring before I can finish it up. I don't have any sort of climate controlled space to safely spray and dry.

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That turned out really nicely. I like the shape from body, to pickguard, to neck (headstock). It has great continuity. I can’t wait to see it all together with paint.

Minimalist518 likes this.

9. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

I like it.

10. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Your guitar made my facebook alerts this morning

hacking-a-strat-photo.png

11. betocool

betocool TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2016
    South of Perth, WA
    I'm lovin' the SGcaster. The pickups look awesome! And the bridge looks cool too!

You could give that guitar to Angus Young or David Gilmour and they'd be none the wiser. Well... once it's finished.

Cheers,

Albert

12. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Paint shipment has arrived. Mix this powder with water and go. I like the color quite a bit. We'll see how it goes on. IMG_7635.JPG

n__B, awasson and John Nicholas like this.

13. Telemarx

Telemarx TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2015
    south africa
    Good stuff. Glad you tweaked the pickguard a bit, the newer version looks awesome! It will look killer with those pups mounted.

jvin248 likes this.

14. n__B

n__B TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Valley Forge
    That looks interesting! I'm wrapping up my first guitar and haven't decided on a finish yet. Looking forward to your pics!

15. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    First coat applied. Kind of a gloomy day and not the best lighting so it's photographing a good bit more dark grey than it actually looks. Very matte color coat so I'm interested to see just how the tung oil top coat is going to bring it to life. But first a few more color coats. IMG_7640.JPG

a_pidgeon, Ekko, n__B and 2 others like this.

16. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Color going on, neck started with tru-oil. Things are taking shape nicely today. IMG_7643.JPG

This picture shows the 2nd color coat sanded back in decent natural light. Gives a much better idea of the color. The texture is intentional. Going for a more organic look so I didn't do any sort of grain fill or sanding sealer. IMG_7642.JPG

17. samuelmorrissey

samuelmorrissey TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Dublin, Ireland, Earth
    Very nice!

Did you paint it by hand?

I've never really been a fan of strats but a big fan of taking on a project like this! I'm sure I have a strat body or two up in the attic...

S

18. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I really like where you went with the new pickguard. That shape completes the look.

mrpants likes this.

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    mrpants likes this.

20. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, I agree. That doesn’t look like someone hacked a Strat. It looks like a production guitar of some sort. Really nice design there, of the body, pickguard and headstock.

Minimalist518 and mrpants like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.