Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hacking a Strat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mrpants, Oct 7, 2017.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’m big into mint condition, tastefully modded guitars but in this case, I’m looking forward to the finished product. So many directions you can go in. I would use wood epoxy to fill in the seams and probably go with a solid colour. The pick guard seems to need more finessing... I’d take a page from the SG book and add some visual flavour to it.

It’s going to be just fine :D

2. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Well, "ruin" is a bit extreme. If it ends up working and getting used, then it's a better state than it was in before when it didn't work and didn't get used. If you want an abused Mexican strat, chances are you'll find one or ten in the used corner at any guitar store across the country.
    If I had done the same from a block of wood instead of an essentially discarded guitar would your feelings be different?

3. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Yeah, the pickguard is still just paper cut to general shape. I'm a little limited by the swimming pool rout and the control cavity. I want it to be as small as possible. I'd go without if I could, but that's more hassle than I want to get into to fill and reroute the whole top. I don't really care for things with a lot of flourish.

4. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    A Mexican Strat is prolific enough that is HALF were carved into other shapes there would still be a saturated market for them. No harm done in building something different with the parts. It's not like it's '59 Burst LP.

I'm just wondering...how difficult was the poly to get off that body? I have an '04 MIM Strat that I want to strip and fill the trem cavity just like you did. (I'll be painting mine without any carving whatsoever, though.)

fenderchamp likes this.

5. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Heat gun and a scraper got most of it off in half an hour or so. The trick is getting it hot enough without scorching the wood below. Gotta keep moving. There's sort of a magic point where it comes off in big strips. The scraping method is tricky inside the horns so I also used a dremel with sanding drum attached.
    For safety's sake, I recommend wearing a respirator stripping the stuff off (definitely for sanding). It's a bit toxic.
    After scraping there will be some sanding of the undercoat.
    Also, I don't have a link, but supposedly there are commercially available blocks to fill trem cavities. I didn't realize until after the fact, but it was good woodworking practice to shape it anyway.

reddy2300 likes this.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Nice
    I love project threads
    Keep the pics coming

7. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    mrpants, as long as you like it, that's all that counts. By 'ruin', I mean it has no resale value now. And that's OK, if you dig the guitar. I admire your creative process involved here.

fenderchamp likes this.

8. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Pfft. Resale... I'd have been lucky to get $150 for it as it was even if I took the time to do the fretwork and fix the electronics. Sorry if I sound bitter on that point, but I had this argument ad nauseam previously regarding desecrating a Fender and killing resale etc...
    I realize that's not really what you are saying. I do get that it's sort of an act of violence on what can be seen as a perfectly good guitar.
    In the end, I guess I just wasn't interested in having a strat, but it seemed to make more sense to try something like this than to fix up one that is barely worth anything and would be tricky to sell anyway.
    Thanks for the feedback though. I appreciate the honesty.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I like the design of both the body and the headstock. But I have to say that when I saw that nice wood grain after you stripped off the blonde, I was rooting for you to just do a clear refinish. It was pretty nice for a MIM.

You're doing a good job though. Have you chosen the color?

Rex

John Nicholas likes this.

10. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Yeah, I'd love to do a translucent dye... except that it's actually a 3 piece with a veneer on top. If I did clear top I'd have to burst to opaque or do some kind of binding-like border, which would be kind of tricky to define with contours.

11. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Great result. Not what I feared.
    JJ Cale 'ruined' his perfectly good Harmony Sovereign but then used it to record the "Naturally' album. LOL
    [​IMG]

12. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Well, I'm all for "ruining" a guitar you'll never play, and probably never sell.

If it were a Custom Shop Strat, you might have a point. But the only difference between that strat and a bunch of parts you'd make a custom guitar with is that the one weas already painted.

Me, personally? I'd never do that to one of my guitars. Cripes, I wring my hands over putting in strap locks because it's not original. But that's me and my proclivities. Hence the reason I'm building my own. But you know what? If I bought a couple of busted-up guitars from a pawn shop and refinished them, I'd probably feel good about modifying the crap out of them like mrpants. Because they were basically doorstops before. Now they'd be something someone would play.

I was iffy on the design at first, but now I kinda like it.

Do a solid color.

13. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Resale value?? That's why you don't like it?? Oh well to each there own!! Personally, I think it looks far better then the original...

How about the resale value on this one??

14. freddarl82

freddarl82 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Colorado
    I love your artitude on this and I could not agree more! This looks like a rally cool project! (My first reaction was also Strat-meets-SG). Body looks good, and I, too, like the headstock.

nojazzhere likes this.

15. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    You must stop reposting that horror. I fear damage to my one good eye.

esetter and Torren61 like this.

16. freddarl82

freddarl82 TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Colorado
    8131122A-E1DE-4221-887A-664358AAD831.jpeg
    That veneer looks pretty good, though. How about a burst type finish close to the edges and then you can finish the back solid? I just did my first body and did a burst; it wasn’t that hard. On the two-tone burst I did, the edges of the body are actually done in black, so I was thinking you could paint the back black.

Edit: (Sorry, I’m an idiot when posting pictures using this forum — can’t figure out how to get the pictures and my comments where I want them. When I uploaded the pic it automatically went to the top). Anyway, my suggestion is to finish the top something akin to the way the front of mine looks, then solid black on the back.

17. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes to this because I went back and looked at that veneer and it looks nice. You could absolutely do a tobacco to black or any dye to black for that matter.

...Or, and this could be too much work but, you could fill the control route and the swimming pool, drop fill the seams with epoxy, route whatever you want and do a solid colour of your choice and much smaller pick guard, if at all. What can I say, I like the filling job you did on the Trem and bridge, why stop there.

18. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    This shape is WAY more daunting to cut for someone who doesn't have a band saw. IMG_7380.JPG

I could be interested in the burst idea, but curious how to achieve a translucent to solid burst. I really don't know much about finishing as I've only worked with dye and oil before. I'd also have to figure something for at the bridge since it doesn't quite cover the patch. IMG_0072.JPG

19. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That is the ugliest vintage guitar ever... well at least that was destroyed on purpose. It hurts to look at it!

The point is even though the poor thing is mutilated, it still has resale value because of who played it. Some people seem to have more money then taste.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Torren61 likes this.

20. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That is one very nice bridge!!

I'd be willing to help out with the band saw... take a tracing of the routes with paper, measure how deep the routes are. Send the paper to me and I'll cut them out for you. I have some scrap hardwood lying around. Possibly some alder.

Just had another very difficult to do idea as well, which would help cover under the bridge and allow you to do anything you want to finish the top. Glue on another veneer top. One that covers the entire top! It's certainly not easy.

My lazy butt would just paint it a solid color.... but it's not my guitar!

awasson and Torren61 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.