Guys That Just Make You Want to Put Your Guitar Down

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Phrygian77, May 19, 2019.

1. kwcsports

kwcsports TDPRI Member

Agreed ^^^^

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just got a (bass) gig with him, this Friday!
    My pedal steel/guitarist friend John is the leader, Rick will play guitar and fiddle.
    Yes!

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The technique guys don’t scare me.

I don’t think of guitar as a contest.

And for me the flashy stuff gets old right quick anyway.

Good thing, as I’m not facile enough to be very fancy.

4. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Well....
    On your comment I just watched this video:
    Stellar musicianship.

In reference to my previous response....who stole my lighter. :)

WireLine and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, there was a kid here, Jamie Eubanks, that was sitting in with guys like W. C. Clark at the Bradfordville Blues Club when he was 12, about 15 years ago. He went on to put together two different groups that did well, but never really made it nationally. Also, watched Derek Trucks many times 20 years ago when his band was the house band at Potbelly's in Tallahassee. Rick Lollar was also a hot young guitarist in Tallahassee back in the day...

Zepfan likes this.
  6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

The ironic thing now watching that video from the BBC is that Jamie Eubanks's first band was more funk and jazz influenced, and they kind of tried to pull him in that direction, but he was set on playing Texas blues. I'll never forget one night watching them at a now defunct bar in Thomasville, GA when they broke into Tear The Roof Off The Sucker, following Mary Had A Little Lamb. All the men were downstairs playing pool, not interested in the the band. Every woman in that place hit the dance floor, and tore it up. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Zepfan likes this.
  7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

How old is that shirt?

The first video is from 2007. The second is from 1987. That's a tough shirt.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Jim W, Tony474, Gene O. and 2 others like this.
  8. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

Yup..

Zepfan likes this.
  9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

After seeing some players live, my brother and I often tell each other, “Now I’m going to go home and huck my guitars over the back fence.”

Zepfan and chulaivet1966 like this.
  10. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

To be dead honest...not many of the technical amazing players ever did much for me in the long run!
    Some enjoy that, and that is quite fine and is what they enjoy, we are all different and no knocks on that.

But those players who really could drive up the energy and speak as they where connected to somewhere else...that always made me wonder just how much work you really need to to put into it....to get that amount of power and have something to say.....that almost made me quit when I was a kid....
    I just thought...you cannot practise that...it is something you got or don't, that will to dig in and get it, there is no way other than dig and dig and keep digging until you poke a hole in that damn wall.....and some will never find anything...others will be "blessed" with an amazing connection.

And also early on I liked all kinds of music, some of it don't have any guitars at all present, I just love all kinds of music that can take you places...stuff that has the power to go beyond.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    suthol and MilwMark like this.
  11. JackL

JackL Tele-Meister

Tommy Emmanuel, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, John Mayer..

12. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Just about every other player I see play is better than me but I enjoy what I play and I keep soldiering on.

I suppose I could take some lessons.....?

RLee77 likes this.
  13. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

A lot of folks make me wanna pick my guitars up more and then there’s even more recorded folks that should pick theirs up more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopean likes this.
  14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would go see George Benson play (with Earl Klugh accompanying him) in the early '70's in NYC. I'd often wonder - Why do I bother...?

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Only once, and it was out of love and respect for my teacher. He was a brilliant jazz guitarist (I was told that at a jam session, Buddy de Franco, clarinetist, turned to him and said, "Man, you're great!." And he was. He had been Larry Coryell's teacher 10 years before me, as we were from the same town, Richland, Washington.

I left Richland at 17 and wound up playing rock and jazz in Portland almost as soon as I arrived. He had prepared me really well. I could read, play chord charts, improvise, etc. I was able to buy an L5 non-cutaway, just like his. After a particularly deep and intense period of woodshedding, a term I learned from him, I thought it was about time for the prodigal Larry II to go back home and show the old guy how it's done in the big city. What song? Sunny. What gear? Am. And we were off, me soloing and him on chords. Actually, chords and stuff. Actually, more like 4-part counterpoint with elaborations and groovy bass lines. It was so uplifting, right out of the gate. After a minute, my jaw was on the floor, and my playing dwindled away to nothing. I was still the student. "I don't understand what you just did." Kindly, he said the same about me, but probably for different reasons.

This was just him and me in his studio. And while I hoped that he would have been pleased with my progress, I knew that he would understand why I stopped. It was as much a show of surprise and respect of the unexpected that I wanted to convey. To me, putting my guitar down was a sign of respect and love.

Then there was the time Coryell came back home for a concert (say, 20-30 years ago). At one point he invited the teacher onstage for some duet playing. A friend who saw this said that Coryell had the same reaction to his chord choices and lines, also coming to a halt with a surprised look on his face. Unlike me, he quickly recovered and everyone was really happy the way that it happened.

Blue Bill likes this.
  16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The story is that Clapton was practically humiliated by Hendrix at first. Everyone in London was blown away by the "Borneo Madman," or whatever offensive term was used on some posters at the time.

I've only heard this once, and have never seen it corroborated, but supposedly Pete Townsend called up Clapton and they went to a movie. The didn't normally socialize a lot, but on this day, it was said that the two held hands in the theatre, terrified for their careers, not speaking. Probably not true, but what a thought!

richiek65 likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

He's one of the kids I was thinking about.

richiek65 likes this.
  18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

This kid inspired me to learn that song and to learn some of those licks he was using. I can't do his faces, though.

Zepfan, RLee77 and richiek65 like this.
  19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

The faces are important, they help with note sustain.

Zepfan and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The players that impress me inspire me to play more and steal their licks to add to the mixing pot. A coupe times early on I would get frustrated that I couldn't get anywhere near to playing the stuff my favourite guitarists were playing but that was when I thought a year was a lifetime. Now the years roll by so fast I just go with the flow and keep plodding on learning whatever impresses me knowing if I can't do it now sooner or later it will become easy. If it takes years then so be it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.