Gunsmoke’s guest star today...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jun 11, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I love METV. Perry Mason is on at 9am too, after My Three Sons and Leave it to Beaver, then after Perry is Matlock, Diagnosis Murder, In the Heat of the Night, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, the Rifleman, Wagon Train, Charlie's Angels, the Jefferson's, MASH, and Andy Griffith. after Andy is Gomer Pyle, Green Acres, Hogan's Heroes, and then Carol.
    And there are two other oldies stations called Antenna TV, and Get TV, that have shows like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Alice, Father Knows Best, Hazel, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny, Barney Miller, Becker, Wings, etc.
    There's also some stations that have Maverick, the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Wanted Dead or Alive, Lassie, the Virginian, Rawhide, Rockford, Danny Thomas, Quincy, Emergency, Adam 12, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and others.
    And Get TV has a newer Maverick series that was after Rockford called Bret Maverick, and Stuart Margolin, who played Angel on Rockford, is in it with Jim Garner. Stuart was actually a producer and he was the producer of Love American Style, among others. I guess you can tell I'm a real lover of classic TV as well as classic films.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I used that same line on my dad. I thought it was funny. He just rolled his eyes.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess you could call those "Continentals" but to be more specific, the character drove a Mark III and later a Mark IV. Which was totally inappropriate, they way they rough housed the huge thing around. "Jim Rockford's" Firebirds were like graceful ballerinas in comparison. Maybe they figured the fat out of shape detective needed a fat, out of shape ride.

Most of my recollections of "Gunsmoke" were when it replayed in syndication and of course a lot of the shows were all out of sequence.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

In 1963, I had the occasion to ride with some folks all dressed up in suits as was I on a trip in a new Lincoln Continental. I had forgotten really about the distinction between models. Though they appear humongous and ponderous today, at the time, I was impressed beyond all belief! I don't believe I have ever ridden in any car to equal it's quite smooth ride. My now deceased cousin in Alabama would stop and buy one of those beasts if he saw a good clean one for sale. He had two or three besides the one he drove. He said where he worked, a guy was bragging about having a car wreck, and surviving it in his Mercedes, though the car was a loss. My cousin told the guy, if you'd been driving my Lincoln, you could have driven the car home.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't forget Ironsides!

DougM and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

Those Lincolns were really something, in a hailstorm. All the Japanese design cars around it would be totally ruined and the Lincoln would maybe need a new window glass and a new taillight lens.

But the Lincoln was too strong in some ways. The occupants would take a terrible whipping when the Lincoln was hit hard from behind. All the force of the collision was conveyed to the spines of the unfortunate people sitting there, unprepared for the impact. Spinal injuries. The Mercedes sacrificed itself to protect the occupants. The Lincoln looked after itself and its cargo was strictly on its own. The same principle applies a lot to Crown Victorias and Mercury Marquis sedans, and many older pickup trucks to be honest.

I had a hard time sometimes, convincing the jury of the causation and the extent of injuries to people in these bomb proof vehicles. They saw that the vehicle had withstood the impact, and people were resistant to the idea that the occupant could've been hurt so bad.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

What I remember about the teevee show Cannon was, Mad magazine did a sendup of it back when I was a kid. Pretty funny, though I'm sure it was an easy target. Lots of sketched panels of ol' Bill Conrad flying about in his car.

But I guess that's neither here nor there as regards the actual subject. I will say that re: the link provided above of all the people that played on Gunsmoke [post #28; thank you Fran'n'censed!], I did recently see Leonard Nimoy on it. He played a wise and helpful American Indian. They weren't all savages, you know.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know that a lot of things about cars don't stick in my mind, but the ride that day in the Lincoln, stuck at least until now. I also know that Mercedes for years has taken the approach that the car takes the punishment, instead of the occupants, and has been the model for most of the world of modern day automobiles to follow. When my daughter graduated high school, and went to work, we helped her to get a new 88 Plymouth Sundance, the two boys and I got her a really deluxe stereo and installed it in place of the factory unit.

Alas on a trip to go snow skiing she hit a Suburban at an intersection hard enough for it to roll over. We managed to get into the place where her car was towed since it was totaled. When we saw how far into the drivers, passenger area the engine tilted in taking the blow, we knew she had very nearly been killed. If the engine had come loose, rather than done what it was designed to do, and absorbed the shock, she would have been gravely injured, or worse.

I suppose the safety that is built into many cars today is a result of copying Mercedes engineering. My daughter is on the road an awful lot now, she has become a very good driver, and has gone back to school and furthered her education to the point she has a six figure job. She is also working on getting a degree that will allow her to do even better at her chosen field. I guess all's well that end's well.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Two of my favorite Jack Elam appearances:

F Troop, Season 1, Dirge For The Scourge. Jack plays a gunfighter named Sam Urp who's coming after Capt. Parmenter. Every time he says his name, people say "bless you."

The Texas Wheelers, an almost forgotten comedy from 1974, cancelled after 8 episodes along with everything else on ABC's last place Friday night lineup. Jack plays a good-for nothing widower who abandons his kids to go on a 6-month drunk, then returns, while his oldest son tries to keep the family together. A young Gary Busey plays the oldest son, a young Mark Hamill plays the teenage son. Theme song was John Prine's Illegal Smile. Should have been a big hit but it never had a chance.

beach bob likes this.
  10. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

I saw that one a few weeks back. He had left a girl and was trying to get together with a different one when he got to Dodge.

My favorite sidekick....Festus. :)

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

William Conrad was also the voice of the announcer on Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Ironside used to be on METV, but they took it off for some reason. Maybe they cycled through all the episodes they had too many times.

12. boris bubbanov

Quite a number of auto manufacturers were working on Safety cars. The Airflow series by Chrysler was considered far safer than the competitor's offerings. Saab and Volvo (and a few other euro manufacturers) all played a role in pushing for more motorist (and pedestrian) safety. Studebaker was working on it. The 1951 and forward Kaiser sedans started offering a padded dash and by the end of production in 1955 all units had it. AMC emphasized safety over enlarged length and width. Preston Tucker, of course.

Many people have that big wreck relatively early in the span of their driving activity. I guess I am still preparing for mine.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Adam West starred on one episode...

Da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da Badman!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.