Gunsmoke’s guest star today...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Jack Elam!

His filmography lists FIFTEEN appearances on the show.

That’s a bunch.

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I love Jack in everything! He's an unsung American icon!

Mike Eskimo and Manual Slim like this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

He was awesome! It’s funny that here at work we were just talking about Gunsmoke this morning. I was surprised that most of the team had never seen or even heard of the show!

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

He was a handsome devil.

[​IMG]

Mike Eskimo, catdaddy, DonM and 6 others like this.
  5. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Yep. A treasure. Love his work, but he also seemed like such a great gent.

When I was younger I remember seeing him on the (Johnny Carson) Tonight Show.
    They were talking about "the business of show" and Elam said "Johnny, there are four stages to every actor's career:

1. Who's Jack Elam?
    2. Get me Jack Elam.
    3. Get me a Jack Elam type.
    4. Who's Jack Elam?

:D

6. Toto'sDad

As he was seldom seen.

[​IMG]

7. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

He’s been on all kinds of those old western TV shows, seen him and the other western staple character actors in these things tons of times over the years.

Loved Jack Elam in Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter, among many others.
    He could do comedy as well as drama.

Dub Taylor was another great one.

8. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Watching it now, bada$$ gunslinger! He's been in so many different types of roles, what a character.

DougM and Buckocaster51 like this.
  9. Muddslide

This almost makes me weep. Not that all of it was great, significant television, but it pains me to know my kids' friends have never seen or heard of the Andy Griffith Show and the like. Even Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie and Gilligan's Island.

When my girls were 10 or 11 (about 10 or 11 years ago) I made some reference to Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy and they had no idea who I was talking about.

When they were a bit older I showed them some of that stuff and they thought it was hilarious.

I was working at a high school in Oklahoma when Frank Sinatra died. A history teacher mentioned to her class that he had passed away and not a single one of the students knew who he was. These were juniors in high school.

When she tried to explain who he was and his fame and all, one kid piped up and said "Ummm...why should we care about some old dead singer guy?"

It's only part of the cultural fabric on our country. Sheesh.

howardlo, nojazzhere and 8barlouie like this.
  10. Muddslide

Yep. or going back further, Gabby Hayes.

As a kid, so many of these great character actors and famous stars seemed like real MEN to me...think of Gregory Peck or Robert Mitchum or Kirk Douglas.

Nowadays most of the male actors even in their 30s and 40s seem like cases of arrested development. Like they want to be "forever teen heartthrobs" or something.

I dunno...maybe part of it is my age. But a lot of these actors seem to want to be a perpetual teen or remain "cool and hip" or whatever and they just come across to me sometimes like "Have your balls dropped yet? You're 53 years old."

To get even more into "Get off my lawn!" territory, a lot of musicians today strike me this way too. Like "You're 35 years old. You've got a multimillion dollar record deal but you wear ripped ugly sweaters and knit caps from Goodwill in 90 degree weather, peg pants and horn rimmed glasses and you sing in falsetto about how shy you are and how your 'daddy didn't understand you!'--Can you not rock and roll? Even a little bit?

I do know there are talented, quality actors out there, and lots of great music...sometimes I guess I just get fed up with how wistful and sensitive everyone is...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jack Elam in Cannonball Run...the definition of funny:

• Doctor Nikolas Van Helsing : I'm Nikolas Van Helsing, professor of proctology and other related tendencies. A graduate of the University of Rangoon. And assorted night classes at the Knoxville Tennessee school of faith healing.

J.J. McClure : You may be a little over qualified for this job.
    [​IMG]

12. Muddslide

dbl pst

13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yup.

But not fast enough to beat Matt

Lake Placid Blue and verb boten like this.
  14. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Jack Elam was a good sized guy but James Arness made most everybody else look small by comparison.

A WWII Army veteran, during the invasion of Sicily (IIRC), his Commanding Officer had him get out of the landing craft to see how deep the water was, since he was the tallest. He must have had a tough time making himself a small target. He probably developed his quick draw skills against the German army.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

15. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Holic

Elam and Van Cleef... two great characters, no matter the role!

Rowdyman and verb boten like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I was at the Guitar Center one day a few years back, and a couple of girls were there with a young guy. The guy was playing the guitar and singing. I asked the girls if he thought he was Elvis? I have never felt any older than when the girls gave me that blank stare. It wasn't put on, they had no idea who Elvis was.

17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I thank God for the oldies channels on cable and TCM. I watch Gunsmoke, and many other classic shows, dramas, comedies, and westerns every day. I even watch old game shows. I wish they'd bring back What's My Line again, with Bennet Cerf, Dorothy Kilgallen, Alene Francis, and the great John Charles Daly. And, of course classic cinema on TCM. Johnny Carson is on, but I'd love to see Merv Griffin, and Mike Douglas too. Carol Burnett is on METV, as are lots of other great shows, Gunsmoke among them, but where's Laugh In and the Smothers Bros (with Officer Judy, played by producer Bob Einstein, who later became Super Dave). And Burns and Allen is a real treasure, with Gracie's constant antics.

howardlo and verb boten like this.
  18. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I was recently watching some old movie where Jack was clean cut and hair was combed. It was halfway thru before I figured out who he was. Very different appearance.
    Christopher Lloyd is like that too.

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

They were just staring at your clothing ensemble and perplexed by your sartorial choice of cargo shorts, sandals, and mismatched dark socks. ;):)

20. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I've always wondered how the director and effects people worked the fly into the scene with the technology available back then.

Perhaps they just used a well trained fly and filmed it live?;):D

Or did they use VSO and have a fake fly on a clear leash while filming slowly and then speed it up?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.