Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gulp. Practice...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by keithb7, Sep 13, 2018.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Felt like train wreck tonight.

We performed lots of good songs but the few bad ones really seemed to scath my confidence tonight.

We had an off night. Bummer rehearsal when that happens. Felt like one step forward, two steps back. Once in a while I guess all of us can be having an off-nite. It happens. At least it wasn’t at a gig.

We’ve sounded much better on many occasions. Two of us worked all day and went straight to rehearsal still in our work clothes. Maybe that threw us off?

Maybe it was the 5 pm start, not having dinner, rehearsing thru the dinner hours? Maybe it was the 4 new songs we all agreed to work on all week. Maybe we spent all our home practice time working on those 4 new songs, then the rest of our set list got side-lined all week? It happens.

Music is so awesome when its good. When it becomes a little unraveled, it can smell like rotting fish guts.

Oh well. Lets hope it all comes together at the gig on Sat.

Bands...There really is nothing else like it. 4 guys with busy lives. Wives. Work. Children. Homes and vehicles go maintain. On and on it goes. Its amazing a band can be carved into many of our lives.

chemobrain and 24 track like this.
  2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Sorry to hear you had a bum night. It’s just one night of many though and I’m sure things will get back on track for the next rehearsal.

Our band used to meet at 7pm on weeknights for rehearsals. I got off work between 6:15 - 6:30 so I always hit Wendies or Subway on the way over and then when we quit at midnight or so, I’d hit em on the way back. Music, playing and singing eats up a lot of calories. Gotta have some protein to keep you going.

jannodude likes this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Keith , that is why you have rehearsal , to work that out , some times good , some times bad , but when locked in it is fantastic, I used to tape the rehearsals so we could hear the the bad stuff to improve , and we did , then one day I brought out a video camera and taped the rehearsal to see our stage presence, what an Eye opener , OMG that was enlightening!

It does get better!

awasson and jannodude like this.
  4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Probably the drummer’s fault.

5. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    It was rarely the drummers fault in my band. It was usually the Bass player, followed by the guitarists; both of them.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I won’t blame the drummer. He plays a cajone in our band. All that is left is bass, acoustic guitar and me on mandolin. Well all sucked last nite. Lol.

7. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    Bad playing at rehearsal is a problem only if it's accompanied by arguing among band members, or if it's the same player doing the same bad playing over and over. We replaced our trumpet player and sax player when we realized that they weren't correcting their mistakes from rehearsal to rehearsal to show to rehearsal. We have little patience with someone who can't take constructive criticism and/or obviously doesn't do their homework in between rehearsals/gigs. When I step all over something at rehearsal I laugh it off and make sure I work it out at home for next time.

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    In a previous configuration, we met and ate dinner first, then went after it. Something simple; pizza and beers or similar.

Something about having a meal together once a week - it was a good thing. That band lasted for a little over ten years. Went from a three piece to a five piece. Good times through and through, until the very end, but when your bass player gets arrested on stage (visa issues + angry ex-girl friend...) things fall apart and life goes on.

Actually, some bad stuff in practice is a good thing - motivation for improvement.

Djentleman Dan and awasson like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, once in a while rehearsal just doesn't come together. It's like a song becomes impossible to play well. It's kind of amazing actually. Other nights a new song will just fall together right away.

awasson likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Now you know what to work on.

We all have bad nights. My band has what we call a "high suck factor." We know our stuff well enough that even when we have an off night, we're still pretty good. And it doesn't get any worse then that ever. (hopefully ;))

Don't worry about it. Just knock 'em out at the gig.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Which one were you? :D

12. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Now that I’m most often a one man band, I know who’s to blame for a bad practice. “The backing tracks”.

13. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you don't have a bad night every now and then, you never know how good you are.

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Why would anyone be practicing on their own things already in the setlist? Wouldn't they just work on what's new on their own?

Artunes likes this.
  15. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Did you record your practice session?
    Do you really know for sure?
    Sometimes you really feel like things weren't right... but it wasn't the things- it was the feeling. The recording would tell the truth, and I'd often be surprised. At least that has happened many times to me. Maybe it was the sound, -where you were/how you were playing/how someone else was playing. Where you are, or where the microphone is, can sure make stuff sound different than you thought.
    I wanted to believe the "bad practice, good gig" concept... but I think it rarely works that way...
    I HAVE felt GOOD about practice and then blown it in the next performance.....! Usually, things go pretty much as you've mastered them. For better or for worse.
    There's always a lotta factors that can affect things, making EVERY session..... different -one way or another.
    Hang in there.

awasson and 1955 like this.
  16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    It took me a long time to reconcile how the quality of everything fundamentally changed as I got older.

The music, practice, and shows ultimately suffered as other things in life took more priority.

When you start out young with an all-consuming and unified goal, everyone is up for practicing for hours at a time, going on the road for next to nothing.

When you are older you might have gained more proficiency on your instrument, you might make more mature decisions about how to work efficiently, and the music often reflects wisdom gained through all that experience.

But I still had the same high standard as when I was young. It set me up for disappointment.

Knowing what it is like to be going for it with all your heart like brothers, the world before you, makes it more difficult against a compartmentalized mercy gasping and clawing amid the complex demands of adulthood.

I had to unlearn the self-critical mechanism that relentlessly made those surgical cuts on the premise of an all-in existence.

I had to let it go.

I also had to realize it was never coming back.

It's very hard to be a great band without that all-in commitment from everyone.

It was too hard for me to not be at least trying to be great anymore.

It was better to let it be what it was, to let it die. I wanted it so bad, but it all for nought.

I accepted that not everyone wanted what I wanted.

It was what I wanted that was wrong.

You are lucky if you have some folks to play with and make music.

Enjoy it, warts and all.

The worst type of noise is all the things I could have done differently.

JL_LI, keithb7 and Nickadermis like this.
  17. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    A rushed Sound Check can be a practice killer.

I usually just go through new songs once at band practice, letting bandmates know how well they did.

18. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Sometimes having a crappy practice just means the next one will be that much better. Hope your gig goes well!

awasson likes this.
  19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    @1955 very well said. You nailed it. You are so correct in your comments. I'm knocking on 50 soon enough. I'll never, ever have the time and commitment that I did in my teen years. I hate to admit it but you are right. I had not thought of it this way before. Near perfection from everyone in the band is not going to happen this late in the game. Life is indeed too complicated. Time so precious.

Setting the expectations too high is totally unrealistic. We are what we are. Warts and all. How many times have we all thought to ourselves, "I should have/could have, played that part better". Or "The crowd loved us" but deep down we are replaying the errors in our minds. Maybe saying to each other in the band, "That was pretty good, but we have done it better".

A band performance is indeed a feeling. Sometimes we're elated, other nights we maybe fell like cold baloney.

1955 likes this.
  20. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    My experience has been: a bad practice before a gig turned into a great gig, a good practice before a gig turned into a mistake filled gig.

Sounds like how you scheduled practice directly after work one would already be worn out before striking the first chord. even your ears get fatigued after a long day and depending on what you do for a living.

As already pointed out be glad you got some guys to play music with.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.