Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitars you've bought JUST because they looked cool

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by hessodreamy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Easy-White Falcon-

White Falcon.jpg

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    While that is purty I don’t think it’s as cool as any of yours.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

John Backlund likes this.
  3. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2012
    Texas
    IMG_0614.JPG

About ten years ago I bought a mid 30’s May Bell (Slingerland) parlor acoustic off eBay for $80.

I couldn’t believe my luck! Some lady up north had found it when cleaning out her grandmothers basement. She couldn’t tell me anything about it, as she didn’t know about guitars, but I figured it was worth the risk at that price.

When it arrived, I discovered that the wood had rotted from the inside and it was completely unusable. I ended up selling it on Craigslist as a wall-hanger and getting my money back.

Still....

Pity it didn’t work out. Sure was pretty.
    (This photo isn’t the actual guitar, but it’s the same model)

savofenno, LocoTex, ndcaster and 3 others like this.
  4. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah. One Epiphone, one Gibson and two Agile gold top Les Pauls.
    All gone.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Bonamassa Firebird I and partscaster Strat w/MJT body

savofenno, bender66 and brookdalebill like this.
  6. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2010
    Leeds
    Oh man, I totally forgot in my OP the brief fling I had with Eastwood guitars

The RS-II

[​IMG]

And the Saturn:
    [​IMG]

Both of which I found insanely cool looking, and HAD to have. But both turned out to be utter garbage.

savofenno and brookdalebill like this.
  7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
  8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Guild/DeArmond M75T in Champagne Sparkle. Sold it. e.g. https://reverb.com/p/dearmond-m-75t

way too heavy and the low E string was too close to the edge of the neck.

Ibanez AMF73. e.g. https://reverb.com/item/2143676-iba...fortmadisonguitars-there-s-only-1-way-to-rock

Looked cool, but my right hand kept hitting the toggle switch and I decided I'm not really into 2V/2T arrangements. Sold that.

Parker P-36 in candy apple red. Actually a nice guitar, but as I've said before, weird headstock precludes use of normal wall hangers and if it's not hanging up, I don't play it. I also don't like having a battery in the guitar and the little toggle switch for selecting piezo/magnetic seems like it will break one day. It didn't have the "Jennifer Batten fretboard" like this one:

https://reverb.com/item/10688505-pa...anslucent-swamp-ash-rare-color-parker-gig-bag

Getting ready to sell it.

9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I based many of my choices--body wood, neck, hardware--on looks when I built my parts teles.

Family Foto.jpg

Lester.jpg

For storebought guitars, I've accepted myself as a Takamine nut. I haven't bought guitars just because of looks, but I've bought several just because they're Takamines. Usually they are good instruments because, well, they're Takamines.

body front.jpg

savofenno, SweetClyde99 and hemingway like this.
  10. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    Another I got for it's unusual looks, and I really play the s**t out of this one. It's the best $359.00 I ever spent!
    IMG_0246.JPG

savofenno and hemingway like this.
  11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

"For storebought guitars, I've accepted myself as a Takamine nut. I haven't bought guitars just because of looks, but I've bought several just because they're Takamines. Usually they are good instruments because, well, they're Takamines."

There are a lot of pro players using them onstage. I've owned several over the years, great guitars.

savofenno likes this.
  12. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Gibson Firebird 2017 T

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and Shango66 like this.
  13. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
  14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Every SG I've ever owned...

15. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    1540058550070.jpg Still think it looks fantastic. But I played my Barden equipped Bajas only, so I sold it to a friend. He loves it!

savofenno, mimmo and hemingway like this.
  16. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Firebird and explorer...both epiphone gothic...only to discover they where extremely clumsy. Bought a pelham blue SG (vintage brand) with vibrola tremelo after just one look. tHE VIBROLA SUCKED BUT OTHERWISE a decent guitar if I wasn't a tele guy.

17. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Denver, Co
    18BA9388-F717-4D89-BE36-359FA10CA0E5.jpeg So far gas is limited to teles; take last night’s on line purchase for instance. If I ever branch out beyond teles, I’ll be in real trouble...

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    hey BD, I think those things are cool, but the problem is, they are way cooler than I am, so I'd look stupid holding them

to play those in public, I feel like I'd have to look like this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 2.30.16 PM.png

and brother, I will *never* look like that

lol

just not me

mimmo and fatcat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.