Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitars you've bought JUST because they looked cool

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by hessodreamy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Dont have one any more but i am planning a warmoth build.

both_angle.jpg

2. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    pennsylvania
    I didn't know that, BDB! That is cool!

brookdalebill likes this.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    My Bigsby. I kinda bought it on a whim, but it plays great. Glad to have it.

Bigsby_with B5.JPG

5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    That would be my 2016 Gibson Firebird V "T", I put a black pickguard on it, and I do play it some, but I got it because I thought it was one beautiful guitar, and I got it new for $1099.00
    IMG_0217.JPG

tintag27, Southpole and brookdalebill like this.

6. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    Don't own one, but this Teisco Spectrum 5 was the first guitar I thought of when I saw the thread title:

[​IMG]

tintag27, Random1643 and jayyj like this.

7. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    One of my favorite players is Joshua homme from Queens of the Stone age. I doubt I'll ever spend enough money to get his signature Maton guitar that isn't even sold here in the US, the schecters tempest was as close as a shape as I could get. I bought a 30th anniversary tempest and it's been a monster. Pretty much a Les paul clone, but still cool.

20180519_171811.jpg

richiek65 likes this.

8. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I dislike Homme but like those Schecter Tempests.

TimothyC likes this.

9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

11. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This was the second electric guitar I ever got - just cos it looked cool.

IMG_0617.JPG

And when I was playing Heavy Metal bass in the 80's early 90's - I traded my lovely Fender Jazz Precision for this!

IMG_0616.JPG

Still got it too, but the poor things in a total state! I really should fix her up!

12. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    My CAR Liquid and Chibson Teardrop. I wanted the Liquid with two pickups but looked like they may not return and I got the CAR wile it was there. Have hardly played it and don't like the three pickups. Looks beautiful, though. Love the Teardrop.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

P Thought, Random1643 and smartsoul72 like this.

13. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Those are definitely on my list of guitars to take a punt on if one shows up at a good deal price - very cool looking things! I love an ugly duckling, me...

smartsoul72 likes this.

14. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Firebird and explorer. Both are clumsy in real life = stupid. pelham blue SD...

15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thankfully, for my wallet, none. Though I came close when buying my Duesenberg Starplayer TV.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of "cool" is but I've always been attracted to piano black guitars and art-deco type styling.

The fact is that the Duesenberg sounds fantastic, to my ears, but I do wonder if I'd have been sufficiently tempted to buy it, irrespective. I hope not but I can't say definitely not.

16. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Can we keep this thread going till somebody buys a Meteora??

17. Marcus M B

Marcus M B TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    London, England
    Crazy. I was looking around recently and am very tempted by some old Framus I see here and there. Then again I am wondering should I buy it just on a picture? I see that many more before me have done just that and been very happy with the result. I'll let y'all know...

18. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    I just put in the direct link to the pic. https://imgur.com/a/z0GedxY
    The only annoying things are one slightly bent tuner, and some ugly glue remains from a removed pickguard. I hope I can find a substance that can remove that glue without damaging the finish further. I think It looks great without a pickguard anyway.

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    That Cort Sunset in the original post is a seriously good guitar. TV Jones pickups, Bigsby and all the specs seem good. Colin Hay from Men at Work played a Cort at last summer's Sydney Opera House Concert on New Years Eve. That really got my attention.
    Cort make some seriously good guitars and not just in their brand name.
    I think they have a future aa guitar makers. Even my OM acoustic Cort has a serial number which indicates they'll be around for some.
    ( I do prefer the Candy Apple Red model on their website and it has a Ricky style "F-hole which adds to it's cool looks.)

20. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I agree, I love how daft it looks.

So how does it sound?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.