Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

guitars you wish you had not parted with

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by the-woey-man, Nov 17, 2017.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Had a Rickenbacker 4001 in the late '80s, sold it for a Fender "Fullerton" reissue P-bass that fit in better tonally with the band I was in. Couldn't afford to keep both at the time. Still have the P-bass and it's my lifelong soulmate so no regrets there, but I wish I'd tried harder to hold onto the Ricky. If I'd stopped drinking for a month or two I probably could have swung it.

Then I picked up another 4001 in the late '90s and for the first time in my life owned two basses at once. Then I stopped playing regularly, tried to start a recording studio (which is NEVER a good idea) and needed some cash to pay off some recording gear, so the second Ricky went away. Again, if I'd made adjustments elsewhere in my lifestyle I might have held onto it.

At the time, used 4001s went for around $500. I figured someday I'd just buy another one. Then, Rickenbacker's prices went through the roof...
    cabra velha likes this.

2. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2016
    West Texas
    Too many to list them all...

Matching G & L ASAT and S 500 in blonde, tort pickguards.
    Fender Jerry Donahue tele MIJ.

1963 Gibson Firebird I

1965 Deluxe Reverb amp (I was a head banger at the time and had no use for it then)

My first PRS CU22 in Dark Cherry Sunburst

PRS EG goldtop

Dean V, second year of production. That guitar absolutely rocked. Sustain for days.

3. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Western New York
    There are quite a few but a few at the top of the list are the 1979 Les Paul Standard, 1997 Fender Lone Star Strat and early 2000's Gretsch Duo Jet. All were killer guitars but it wasn't meant to be at the time. The LS Strat was my first real guitar I got myself and the LP was my first Gibson and wanted a birth year 1976 but found the 79 and loved it. The Gretsch was the classic example of going into Guitar Center for some strings and walking out with a new guitar. They had it half off for less than $1000 so I jumped on it. Wish I still had all of them.

4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    88 American Standard Strat, 59 Telecaster, 71 Fender Jazz Bass

5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    Original Hagstrom Swede, a couple classicals I should have kept, a 50's Gretsch New Yorker archtop that someone did a really good neck reset on, that thing had the best acoustic Jazz comping tone I've ever played (pretty sure it was all laminate).

I don't miss any of my vintage Fenders or Gibsons, everything I own now sounds and plays better.
    brookdalebill likes this.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Nothin' fancy, just an LTD Viper. I thought I wouldn't use it, and went all-in on single-coil guitars. I traded it in for a really nice case, but man, that Viper just felt cool to hold and to play. It was *just* a little bit deeper than a comparable Epiphone SG, due to the 24-fret neck and 25.5" scale length

7. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Jan 25, 2007
    Rickenbacker 430. Looked like this:

There have been others, but this the most.

8. trahx

trahx TDPRI Member

I once sold my 91 MIJ lefty Strat, not sure WHAT I was thinking at the time but regretted selling it almost immediately. Went to the music store I sold it to and bought it back. She has the nicest neck and sweetest sound of any Strat I've played (I've owned 2 Am Dlx Strats)
    110908 004.jpg
    Nubs likes this.

9. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    1960,s Hofner electric arch top.
    Everyone that played it fell in love with it.
    the-woey-man likes this.

10. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    A few years back a friend found a left handed Framus Hootenanny for sale at a local market. I’m no lefty and he ended up giving it to the Framus Museum in Germany. However for a few days I had it in my hands and wondered whether it might have been Lennon’s. I’m a big Beatles fan and Paul M has a place up the road at Peasmarsh. No chance of course and it wasn’t even mine in the first place. But Imagine!

11. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    ha - I just posted this one in the Black guitars thread. I bought it for $75 in the late 70s. It was not a nicely done conversion - but I could have fixed that all up though, knowing what I know now!

12. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Way back in 1994 I had a original 1965 strat that was a fine strat. I needed some funds to buy a new pickup truck and sold it to a collector. Regret that, should have found another way and kept that strat. Platefire
    brookdalebill and Tommy Biggs like this.

13. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2005
    None. I still own every guitar that I have ever owned - 2 acoustics; 1 A/E; 5 electrics; 1 lap steel.
    brookdalebill and Tommy Biggs like this.

14. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Mid-60s SG Jr
    Early 70s Gretsch Streamliner
    '64 Princeton, '65 Super Reverb
    '21 Weymann Tenor banjo

The rest I can live with. Except the SF Bassman head I put in the trash shortly before moving to Europe because I couldn't get rid of it.

15. MarkSmith76

MarkSmith76 TDPRI Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Sa Puso Mo
    My Yamaha BB414 and a nicely modded Chinese Tele copy. I have acquired quite a few after them but nothing ever replaces their tone and feel.

I wish I didn't go broke in 2011.

16. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.

17. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    In retrospect I'm happy on all of the guitars I've parted with. Now, some that I've passed on buying?...
    Brian Krashpad likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.