Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

guitars you wish you had not parted with

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by the-woey-man, Nov 17, 2017.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Oh my so many. The one for sure is a Rickenbacker 320 I got for $350. Also a Harmony Meteor. Dumb dumb dumb.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I had a mid-'60s Epiphone Riviera that I just couldn't bond with, so I sold it to Gruhn's.

Decades later I understand that all it needed was a pro setup. I wish I had it back now.

3. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Everyone i ever owend,some were great some were turds.The one I really miss is the howard roberts fusion I traded for an amp in a time of need.

4. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    1973 Tele.jpg

1973 Telecaster w/ Case. My first "good" guitar that never should have been sold. I didn't understand.....

RodeoTex likes this.

5. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    USA
    Not my image but that's it. All-koa Larrivee parlor guitar. The last acoustic I owned. Sold it as a broke grad student.

littlefront.jpg

6. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I have not yet sold any one of my acquired guitars. So no regrets.

The only one I want to sell is the 1980 Gibson L6-S Custom in Silverburst. It's pretty rare, because they stopped building them as a production model in 1979; this was a special order. I played it last about 9 years ago.

7. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    If you sell it because you really do not like it you probably wont regret it. If you like it, but never use it, so you sell it, you'll probably regret it.

the-woey-man likes this.

8. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    My first electric, a '68 SG. I paid $299 for it used, back in '85.

9. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    A Norlin-era cherryburst Les Paul with zebra pickups and a brass nut. That guitar was insane. In a good way.

'65 Ric 330/12. Sold to pay rent.

'61 Gibson Les Paul SG, previously owned (and utterly abused) by Tommy Bolin.

This MIJ beauty:

[​IMG]
    Fender Telecaster, April, 2010
    by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fender Telecaster Headstock, April, 2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Fender Telecaster, April, 2010 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Man, I miss that Tele. (Traded it for a Jerry Jones "Jimmy Page" shorthorn Neptune.)

That's it. I've sold and traded a bunch of cool stuff, but I did it to get even better stuff, so no worries or regrets here. Aside from that Tele, of course.

10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    ThT is seriously cool. Yes, very Zemaitis or Teye. Why’d you stop making them?

Cheers,
    Geoff

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Just a different lifetime ago. Loss of hand function, diminished sight, you name it. I just couldn't do that as well anymore I don't think.

12. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    This is probably a silly example, but I once owned a Squier Standard Strat 20th anniversary edition which had a really nice 3TS body in solid alder, 22 frets on a maple neck. Just a lovely guitar, had to sell it for rent money.

I’m currently in the process of selling off gear to fund a PRS 594, and the stuff I am off loading includes two Japanese Les Pauls: an Orville and an Edwards. Both are killer, killer guitars, so I really hope that the 594 will banish them from my mind once I get a hold of it!

13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    For me, it's mostly for nostalgic reasons, but I wish I'd kept my first 'real' guitar, which was a Gibson Marauder - blonde, with white pickguard.
    I've been tempted to find another, but every time I start looking, I see the prices people are getting these days for a Marauder in good shape. Pass.

14. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    '77 Gibson RD Artist. Unique and classy- looking, played like a dream, but never could get it to sound good. The Moog active electronics + never having fresh batteries + my inexperience + my Peavey 10w solid state amp were a very discouraging combo. But it played GREAT.

I wished I'd swapped the electronics, played it for two decades, put the original electronics back in, played it for another decade, and then sold it for about 10x what I sold it for in 1987 :D

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Back in the early 80's, I got a car from a friend and it had a old tweed covered Gibson tube amp in it that didn't sound good. I was more of a SS guy then, so I gave the amp away to a friend. Wish I had held on to it.

In the late 90's, I had to sell of a bunch of gear to put a down payment on a house for my family. A wonderful 50watt Crate with 2 10" Celestions, a Norlin era White LP Studio, a Lotus Silverburst LP, a Mako Strat, a Arbor Strat with Kahler locking trem and EMG 85 pickup and several pedals that I miss.

16. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    A squier cm tele custom, neck humbuckered and a single coil in the bridge.
    Five strings, g tuned,this guitar was a tone monster.
    I gave it to my brother.

17. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    87 MIA Fender 62 AVRI with blonde finish and gold plate hardwire. I don’t think I have owned a better guitar. Sold it in the mid 90s when I was broke.

B57961FD-B2E4-417F-BAD9-3D5A427A9083.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.

18. thxcuz

thxcuz Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My electra mpc outlaw I got when I was a teenager. It looked like this one

Attached Files:

19. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    That’s too bad. From the picture it looks like you did excellent work.

Cheers,
    Geoff

20. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2003
    Ohio
    I’ve owned well over a hundred guitars the only one I truly miss is my walnut brown 1969 ES-335. It was modded by a previous owner with a stop tailpiece and a third pickup. The mods were pro quality if you didn’t know better you would think they were factory. It was in beautiful condition and was sounded killer.

I traded it even up for a late seventies Les Paul Custom with a maple fretboard which is also long gone but do not miss one tiny bit. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. :(

the-woey-man and RodeoTex like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.