Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

guitars you wish you had not parted with

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by the-woey-man, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Epiphone Sorrento RI - lovely guitar with 2 dog-ear P90s.

Also my first Tele - a midnight wine MIM.

Both very versatile guitars, but life goes on...

2. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    It's not as nice or rare as most of the guitars posted in here, but I liked her. Classic case of "You don't know what you've got till it's gone"

john kleeman likes this.

3. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Oh! my gosh, here to begin.......58 country gentleman bass, traded it for an Ovation hurricane ( couldnt play either Im a lefty ), 2 early 60's Fender jaguars , what was i thinking!!!!
    60's Fender tele blonde again upside down , Black face fender super reverb, Black face Fender Bassman 50 with slantable 2x12 cab and matching 2 x15 cab, 70 Gibson EB3L bass walnut finish , Mini moog model D I bought in early 70's , I did keep my 70 SG , sold it 3 times and bought it back every time now she lives with me forever

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    This one:

'68 Les Paul Gold Top. You'll notice a black dot on the pickguard. I had a master volume control installed. It had gold saddles replacing the nylon ones it came with and after this picture was taken, had Grover Tuners added. I traded it for a NOS '66 Epiphone Riviera, which I still own and love to this day, but I miss the Lester. It had a unique voice.

A couple more that I don't have pictures of:

'66 Rickenbacker 360-12 in Jetglo (Black)

'79 Travis Bean TB 500. It had a coated neck and a black pickguard and pickups and a yellowed white finish on the body. I had a phase switch added.
    brookdalebill likes this.

5. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    My Kline S-12 Universal.

6. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    These 2 DSCN0187.JPG DSCN0189.JPG DSCN0901 (1).JPG

The Strat was a '56 NOS Custom Shop custom and the first nice guitar I bought. I had been eying it up for days on Ebay. Feeling particularly inspired after seeing a local favorite guitar player and having a few drinks in me. I came home and made a lowball offer. The seller imediately countered. After a little back and forth I had this baby on its way to my house. It was custom ordered with Birdseye maple neck and a 1 piece lightweight ash body. It was never even played. It was an extremely nice guitar and had a great acoustic sound. I sold it and don't even know why. Pure stupidity, I'd truly like it back.
    The Gibson ES125 was a '53 and another nice guitar. I sold it thinking I was giving up playing. I really seemed to bond with this guitar. I have the 175, so it is kind of redundant. I'd still would like it back. The neck was really straight and one of those guitars that was always in tune. Usually the first guitar I picked up.
    This thread has reinforced that I need to spend more time practicing and less time buying and selling gear. I should be leaps a bounds ahead of where I'm at in playing ability. If only I'd kept the strat and been more focused. 2018, practice and more practice...NO MORE GEAR!
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    the-woey-man likes this.

7. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    For me, it was a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. It was a LP-shaped semi-hollow, but had the brightest sound imaginable. However, when I owned it, I didn't have the luxury of all the pickups we have available now. I'd like to own another one someday.

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I had a '61 Strat, beat all to hell. The other guitar player in my band and I did unspeakable things to that guitar - routed it for a Humbucker in the bridge, put Melody Maker pickups in it at one point. It was a rolling wreck if ever one existed, but that neck, man.

I got the guitar around '74 and moved it on around 1980, after my management 'surprised' me with an upgrade - new paint, DiMarzio pickups, replacement trem. It was a better guitar before they got the work done.

That '61 neck is still the standard against which i judge every Strat that I play. It was perfect.

- D

9. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    I had this, an IbanezRC-365H. I had seen one in a store, liked it enough to have to sell a bunch of gear to get one (a return or 2nd, cause it was about 1/3 cheaper than the ones in stores). I replaced the whole tone circuit (Twisted Tele neck/Gibson P94 bridge, Switchcraft switch/output, Dimarzio pots, Jaguar knobs). After all that work, I decided the neck was too skinny, and didn’t want to mod it anymore. (I couldn’t tell if the neck pocket was Fender-shaped, and didn’t want to have to fill or rout it) I keep looking for them thinking I could do it over again, but I never see them anywhere.

10. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    At age 17, I built my first bass body and completed it by cobbling together the other parts from other basses. 2 years later, I sold it for $ 150 to a guy named McCartney, Jack, not Paul. 5 years ago, I built the exact same bass this time building it as a neck thru as well as the body. That recent build was the beginning of about 25 builds, and sell counting. I still wish I had never sold the original.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    john kleeman likes this.

11. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    I've answered this before, but I'm not done kicking myself:
    Gretsch Sparkle Jet
    Guild Starfire IV
    69 Gibson Southern Jumbo
    Ricky 360
    My first tele partscaster, it was just right.
    I'm happy with what I have now, but public confession is edifying.

12. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    62 refiñ Strat that I bought as a student in 74. Was my only electric for years and gigged through the 80s.

Sold in 89 to finance getting a 64 335 and a 59 LP pecial which I've still got so can't complain:D. But I wish I'd been able to keep it.

13. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2014
    LA Southbay

14. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    I've only owned about twenty guitars in my lifetime, and this Ibanez doubleneck is the one I wish I hadn't parted with. Got it new in 1979 and for most of 30 years it was my good friend, a terrific guitar but too heavy, and I needed the money. Consolations, it went to a good home, and I got more than twice the price I paid.

But, even if I had it back I probably wouldn't play it much. My subsequent guitars have its bases covered, and the things weighs something like 17 lbs.
    RodeoTex likes this.

15. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Meister

16. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2014
    1959 Gibson ES-355 Stereo
    Early 60's Gibson ES-175
    Late 60's Gibson ES-345 Stereo
    1970 Dan Armstrong Plexiglass with a paper bag full of extra pickups
    2 early 70's Gibson ES-335's
    1972 Martin D-28 (but I managed to find another in excellent condition)
    1970 Gibson EB-3 bass
    2 1970 Dan Armstrong Plexiglass basses

Plus a host of others, but these are the only ones that I still cry about...
    brookdalebill likes this.

17. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2013
    Wales, UK
    G&L Invader XL Tribute. Mine was completely stock. What an amazing versatile guitar. I gigged the hell out of it and it never let me down. I've never owned or played a guitar that stayed in tune so well. I'd buy it back in a second if I could

18. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Great guitar, just needed money. Didn't even get that much out of it. :cry:

19. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Ibanez ergodyne bass. I was able to get it back about a year later.

20. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Yamaha Pacifica 611 HFM - Great value for the money. It feels custom shop quality. I sold it because I was accumulating a lot of guitars, but I probably should have held onto it Still available though.

Washbburn HB30 - I bought the guitar dirt cheap on eBay and it had upgraded electronics including 57 Classics. I sold it because it also had a lot of neck dive. But it sounded soooo good! Not sure what the previous owner had done to it, but I couldn't replicate it. I tried.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.