Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

guitars you wish you had not parted with

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by the-woey-man, Nov 17, 2017.

1. the-woey-man

the-woey-man TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    cardiff
    i bet some of you have stories about lost guitars that would bring a tear to the eye, but here's two modest ones that i still get an itch to play, though they are long gone. the blue on is a 1980 g&l f100. It had been refinished and modded with emgs but it played so amazingly well. The green one is a 96 epiphone that i put some old dimarzios in. It was a tone machine i miss. I have many other lost loves but no pictures of them. I've learnt my lesson and now have lots of great guitars that are only played rarely but make me happy. Of Couse the Tele is the daily player WP_20160812_18_46_47_Pro.jpg WP_20160309_10_56_10_Pro_LI.jpg

2. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I’ve parted with dozens of guitars. Sometimes I needed the money. Sometimes I just wanted to purge some gear. There have been countless numbers of Gibsons, Fenders, Ibbies, and BC Rich. There was some seriously good stuff that went out the door.

There are only two guitars I parted with that I really miss. In both circumstances I needed the money so I’m not upset with myself for selling them, but I’d really love to have them back.

1985 BC Rich ST-III (NJ Series)

[​IMG]

2007 BC Rich Mockingbird (Calibre Series prototype)

[​IMG]

I did recently get a 1980 USA Mockingbird so that helped a lot.

3. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2017
    New Hampshire
    My Rickenbacker 330. I was broke. It was painful.

Straydogger and mnutz like this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    A Les Laul 55/76. Not a true reissue, but basically a “player’s” Special. It did everything right.

mnutz likes this.
  5. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    A 1963 Stratocaster. Got it as payment for filling in with a band for a three-nighter back about '72.

Sold it a few years later for a couple hundred bucks. Apparently, thought I didn't need it at the time.

Straydogger, AAT65 and mnutz like this.
  6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2853.jpg IMG_2854.jpg

I miss these 2. The first is a bolt neck Conrad SG copy. I've never seen another one, and it was a great player.

The other one I miss is my J45.

7. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    There are two guitars on my regret list. One was a CAR Cabronita that I bought in new condition for not much money. I only bought it as it was so cheap and soon sold it on, which was a mistake. I should have kept it, if only for the excellent neck.
    I also got rid of a very nice BSB Baja. It was a lovely looking thing but def on the heavy side and didn't get played much. So I put it on the 'bay and got an immaculate lightweight sunburst Baja instead. For some reason I haven't really bonded with the 'burst one and would really like another blonde.

8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I have yet to regret passing on a guitar. Every upgrade has been just that - an upgrade. I am also lucky to have never had to sell gear to pay a bill / make rent / etc.

9. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    There's only one. The 2008 squier custom p90. Why did I sell that one???????
    I also miss a strat neck pickup that sat in a peavey predator. It was a ceramic one but the only neck pickup I ever liked. I tried to find it a different home (read guitars) for over 5 years but im not a strat guy and eventually sold it.

10. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had a 2006 Gibson SG Faded in brown that I really liked; I sold it in 2009 for my wedding and always wished I hadn't

Just bought a cherry faded last night from Sweetwater with their Black Friday sale

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    A few.
    My 1963 Epiphone Texan, 1955 Esquire, 1957 Tele, 1955 Les Paul goldtop, 1972 Les Paul Custom 54 reissue,and 2001 1954 Reissue Les Paul Custom.
    Not bad considering the zillions of guitars I have had.

12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Plenty-There were a couple of blond mid-sixties Teles I sold after I quit gigging. A '64 Gretsch Country Gent that I never really bonded with at the time. '66 Guild Starfire III. How about a dead mint ProReverb BF with JBLs? I pawned it in the mid-seventies for a couple of hundred bucks...Many more for sure. You can't keep everything...

thegeezer likes this.
  13. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    Mid 1930s Martin 2-17. It has a buzz and I sold it to a music store. Turns out the buzz was a loose ball end on a string. D'oh! It was in MINT shape. I will never get another one of those again...

14. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Straydogger and thegeezer like this.
  15. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I have a 2002 brown SG faded I got cheap. I've come close to parting with it a couple of times but i'm glad I hung onto it. I know I'D regret it if I sold it.

16. the-woey-man

the-woey-man TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    cardiff
    ouch ouch ouch OUCH!!

thegeezer likes this.
  17. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Mostly, I don't have regrets (about selling gear), but there are a few I wish I still had.

1) Guild Jumbo 12-string (70's era).
    I still don't have a lot of use for a 12-string, but that thing sounded like angels singing in harmony.

2) Gibson ES-135 LE.
    This was the one of the first ones that had humbuckers (first versions were P90s).
    I had put a Bigsby on it and it was SWEET!
    Then I decided I really needed a Gretsch, so I sold it and got a Gretsch.
    Turns out, I didn't really like/want the Gretsch and ended up selling that off.
    Don't miss the Gretsch, but I do miss that ES135.

3) Fender Flame/Esprit
    The precursor to the Robben Ford signature model that Fender had.
    Really cool guitar and this is the one that I REALLY wish I hadn't parted with.
    Still not sure why I thought I needed to get rid of it - probably funding some other long-gone gear.
    I'd look to replace it, but these days I can't really justify spending what they want for them, now.

Ah, well - it's all about the journey.
    And all those sales/trades lead me to what I have now - which I'm very happy with.

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Too many, but one especially which was a 1967 Tele. It was blonde with a maple neck. The neck felt better than
    any Tele neck I've played since. Actually it felt better than ANY neck I've played since. Young and foolish me traded
    it for a Gibson Les Paul that I never bonded with.

seanmarshall9 likes this.
  19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    noah330 likes this.
  20. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Lefty MIJ '69RI Mustang. It was light, easy to play, and now that Fender Japan (as it was) is no longer, I can't afford another one. I got mine new for $600.

Nubs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.