Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitars for specific jobs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    My modest stable includes guitars that come out for different purposes:

- PRS SE 24, main guitar for gigs with band ('60s surf/"crime jazz" etc);

- Eastwood baritone, for selected surf, spaghetti Western, tic-tac bass & more;

- Tele (kit) 12-string, for... 12-string!

- Squier Strat, bridge p/u for country/rockabilly with "teeth" (jamming, backing trax);

- Ibanez hollow body for jazzy 'cocktail' trio (currently getting all my attention);

- Nylon-string classical for that sound (haven't played it in 2-3 years).

Three other electrics I love — an old Harmony solid body, a new Tagima jazzmaster style, and a '94 Ibanez Talman. They have their own special qualities and they get played as much as any of the others. Mostly I just like 'em. :)

The 1970 Harmony I mostly use for jazz tones(!) though it also has unique vintage-y tones for rock n roll and blues (for jazz, it's been mostly supplanted by the new hollow body).

The Talman recently came out of closet 'retirement' when I thought to try bigger strings on it—which made it much, much more usable to me. Will be backup to the PRS. Terrific, well-made all-around electric guitar but is too heavy—heaviest of all my guitars.

The Tagima jazzmaster with P90's, bought new a few months ago, has the widest variety of available tones, all good, I love it but it hasn't "plugged in" to a dedicated role. It covers a lot of ground, has #1 potential.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm afraid they are all specific purposes for the most part. Alternate tunings kind of drive which guitar is for which application. I probably should have twice as many.

3. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    And if I might ask....what is the amp mentioned?

3fngrs and Jakedog like this.

4. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    There's a guitar. It's in the corner. It's a Telecaster. A bad one. Not a real one.

You have one job: pick it up and play a lead solo on it. Maybe a few chords too. They will be easy. The lead will not.

It stinks. Of something. It doesn't have 'action' for the strings, just something you can put your whole hand under. The pickup options are 'really terrible' and 'no way am I using that'. Someone has painted it bright yellow.

You plug it in. And you go. You do your best. It sounds pretty good, better than you expected. It's passable. It sounds horrible.

Those around you applaud your ability. Not least because it's a plank of ****, but because you made something of it. The two things coming together.

It was a Telecaster. And you will come to know it in all its bad incarnations. It did the job. They always do.

3fngrs likes this.

5. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Not what I was asking...but you already know that.

3fngrs likes this.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    It's a DV Mark FGC121 combo. 120 watts, two great channels each with their own gain/master and full eq, decent reverb on board. Great tones for any size or volume gig, and I do mean ANY. I run a TC Nova System into the front end. Does everything I'll ever need.

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

7. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    "knew that"

8. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    .....and you still "know".....it present tense.

3fngrs and Ekko like this.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I do tend to use just two guitars at gigs. For electric (tele) gigs my Logan Custom BSB has DiMarzio Twang Kings and a 4-way switch, a very versatile setup. For acoustic gigs, my Logan Custom tele style acoustic/electric is a great player and so lightweight and convenient for load-in. The BSB probably gets gigged once a week, the acoustic/electric, twice a week.

But then again, I have 8 other guitars, so I might as well use them, right? ;)

My Logan Custom Firecaster (tele style made from salvaged lumber from a house fire), has Bill Lawrence Keystones and a 5-way switch. I use that one on occasion because the guitar itself is kinda famous at one of the venues I play, and because the half out of phase sound works great for doing Buddy Holly songs.

Like Random1643, I have a Breedlove dread that I use for drop tunings. The Breedlove dread is big; it looks like the love child of a dreadnought and a jumbo. So in drop tunings it sounds amazing.

In contrast to the Breedlove dread, I have a Wechter Nashville-tuned/high strung parlor guitar. Since it is the high string half of a 12-string, I use it for some folk stuff. It also works well for Celtic music, so I'll be using it next month for my St. Patrick's Day gigs. I don't have an Irish bouzouki, so I use this.

So I gig with 5 of my 10 guitars. I have two other Logan Custom teles, but I haven't gigged with either one of them in a while. I just play them at home. I have another Breedlove, a Concert, which I did a lot of acoustic shows with. But now the Logan Custom acoustic/electric is my go-to for such gigs. I also have a Japanese vintage Hohner Arbor series G940 acoustic, which I bought new in 1983. It never leaves the house. Finally, I have a Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy which I bought as my beach/campfire/back deck/outdoor guitar.

10. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Strat (choice of 2 at home) for most of our songs..
    Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster as backup but I also use it for a couple of Drop D things..
    Tele partscaster for Open G (2 or 3 songs, wish there were more!)
    Hamer XT with P90s tuned whole step down for another 3 or 4 songs

I should use the tele more but hate retuning.. Plus it's set up for slide

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I use any of my guitars for anything, any time. Just depends on which one I feel like playing.

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    https://superfunk12.wordpress.com/my-gear/

I have 3 teles because they sound quite different from each other and I adore teles... (and yes they are my only "live gig" guitars) :)

My Gretsch White Falcon has the most amazing open string CLEAN sound I have ever heard and is used almost exclusively during recording for those big clean open chords (that I play all the time).It is also my most versatile guitar (it can do twang,jazz,rock even heavy metal with ease).

My P90 loaded Les Paul is an amazing guitar for a different flavor or twang and a more raunchy sound.

My Eastwood Tuxedo has flatwound strings and is used for a "twang-jazz" tone (great for funk stabs too especially when recording straight to the board)

My Humbucker Les Paul is used mainly for fat dirty tones.

My Cruscianelly is strung with heavy flats and is a killer slide guitar.

My 66 Mustang is perfect for those "lo-fi" thin sounds so much needed when you want to fill a track with tastefull licks that stay out of the way.

I use them ALL extensively when recording.

Could I only use my teles and get the same sonic results in a recording?

Well probably yes if I was a great guitarist,but I am not......so I use different guitars for different sounds.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Same

14. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Well it’s always been my opinion that if I want to sound acousticy nothing beats my acoustic guitar

My electrics really are just about which guitar I feel like playing. Quite honestly my acoustic is used for every genre, as are all my guitars.

15. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I used to grab a different guitar for everything.

Now I usually just grab my PRS SE, which is why I'm going to downsize.

TelekineticBoss and Jakedog like this.

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I go with whatever my mood dictates.

Having a lot of guitars gives a guy options, and this is a luxury that I never take for granted.
    :)

T-bone Ted and PBO Blues like this.

17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

I play sessions so I've got to have certain sounds. My go-to electric is an an ES-335, but almost as popular are a G&L S-500 Strat, an American Standard Tele, and a Les Paul, as you'd expect. I sat down one day and tried to figure out the minimum number of guitars for a serious session guy and came up with the number ten, though that's hardly comprehensive.

I remember when '70s studio guitarist Elliot Randall kept three guitars and an amp each in lockers in L.A. and New York. They were a Strat, a Les Paul, a Martin acoustic, and a Fender Princeton Reverb. He'd fly back and forth empty-handed and have his roadies meet him with the kit at the studios. Easier times!

Bob

PBO Blues likes this.

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I think that assigning specific guitars to specific styles or genres is bogus. Any guitar should work for any music. It's really down to the player.

Jakedog and kuvash like this.

19. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    There's a thread in a similar vein on another guitar forum I frequent.

For most of the time I've played the guitar, I felt as if I needed a specific guitar to achieve a specific sound. Over the last two years, I've been playing with other musicians more often, in church in particular, but in general, I became confident enough in my chops to feel comfortable being uncomfortable around better musicians.

And a funny thing happened: I started to grab the PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd for just about everything. Blues or blues rock: yep. Neck pickup, roll back the tone and or volume to taste. Contemporary Praise and Worship: yep. Middle position, pick towards the bridge, adjust knobs to suit. 80s hair metal: YES!!! Bridge, wide open, use a lot of sus4 chords ;) Country(-ish): yep. Middle position, coil-split engaged, pick towards the bridge.

I used to think like this: I have a Gibson LP Special, but I wanted a Traditional or Standard, because, you know, those are "real" Les Pauls. But what about SG sounds? Those are different. So I wanted an SG. My Strat: plays great, sounds good, but has active electronics and I really don't like Strat single-coil bridge sounds, so I wanted an HSS Strat. My Tele has stacked pickups in the bridge and middle, a mini-humbucker at the neck, so I wanted a Baja or American Special. My semi-hollow has P90s, but I want humbuckers. And maybe a hollowbody.

But then I started working on my technique, and whaddaya know about that! The guitar I was playing started to matter a whole lot less to the finished product than it had before.

Les Pauls don't sounds like Strats, which don't sound like Telecasters, which don't sound like Superstrats, which don't sound like semi-hollows, which don't actually sound like hollowbodies at all, really, and I don't dispute that.

Now, I might look out of place playing my Neon Yellow Charvel San Dimas at a VFW (or not--I'm not really the hottest thing going on that circuit), but the guitar can do the work.

And that's what it's about for me: which tool can do the work, and frankly, they're building some really good guitars these days, and almost all of them can do whatever you ask of them.

DavidP, Jakedog and kuvash like this.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That's not 'just a Tele' you got more going on in that git than a regular model!
    Strat 5-way, a 4-way, or push/pull/blender systems? Curious now :)

By the way, I think I have that same pickguard but in a Strat form I got as an extra on a guitar trade once. Maybe I should load it up for a while at the next string change.

(I will have to look up Secretsquirrel's reference for what is "crime jazz")

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.