Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitars Fetish Earl Slick guitars..?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Grateful Ape, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Anyone tried? On paper, the spec seems good, but $229? Wonder how good they are (and how heavy)...

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    I have not personally played one, but reviews by GuitarPlayer seem very positive. There are also numerous reviews on YouTube.
    In todays market I don't let price dictate quality. The import builders are turning out some respectable instruments. I actually am considering one of his P-bass clones (the dark woodgrain ash) to have a passive bass on hand.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. W1AV

W1AV TDPRI Member

Here is a short review of the T type "SL51" that I have.....Really not a bad guitar once you set it up. I had the bridge adjusted so strings had the correct curve radius. Also mine didn't have the foil under pick guard grounded so I had a hum. Tuners seem fine....pickups very good....neck is a slight bit dark. The NECK is the only gripe I have...too flat for my taste. I'd put a replacement Fender neck if I had the $$$. But I am used to the flat board now and I play this guitar every day.

4. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    $229 are you nuts
    buy a Epi LPjr for $99 on sale.
    ;)

hellopike likes this.
  5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've never purchased a guitar from them, but I've purchased plenty of GFS pickups and have been pretty impressed with all of them.

6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    cheap asian guitars are absurdly nice these days

7. DocG

DocG Tele-Holic

I ordered a Slick SL60 double cutaway with P90s from Guitar Fetish. A guitar guru friend who was at NAMM said he had played one of the Slick guitars and was very impressed.

The pickups sounded okay and the controls felt nice. The fret ends could have used some polishing. Otherwise, the neck felt decent. The guitar was heavier than I expected.

Out of the box, I could not get the guitar to play in tune up the neck, so I started to do a setup. I set the bridge height and checked the 12th fret harmonics against the fretted strings, and found that the bridge saddles needed to move aft. Even at the rearmost settings, the 6th string was still off. Next try was to adjust the entire bridge back. (On this model, both the bridge and each individual saddle are adjustable.) Lo and behold, the bridge sits in a routed cavity and can only be adjusted a bit before hitting the wood. And it wasn't enough. There was no way the low E string on this particular guitar could be intonated.

Since I live about 45 minutes from Guitarfetish, I thought I'd return the guitar in person to save on return shipping. I emailed their customer service guy, Stan, asking if it was okay. We discussed the problem online and he agreed to my coming by. Guitarfetish is in a nondescript industrial building on a quiet road, and isn't really set up for customer traffic. Inside there are racks of bins full of pickups, pots and parts. Stan has a tiny office mostly full of guitars being tested. He turned out to be a truly nice fellow, very enthusiastic about the company, its owner Jay and all his co-workers. He also likes Earl Slick a lot. There was no problem at all with the return, but I enjoyed talking with Stan so much that I spent quite bit of time with him. It's rare that I meet someone who so enjoys his job.

Bottom line? Maybe it was just this particular guitar. It would have been okay for the money if it had been possible to intonate it. I'd be happy to deal with Guitarfetish again, despite having to return the guitar, mainly because of the positive interaction I had with Stan and his honest belief in the quality of their products.

8. srinivassa

srinivassa Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I bought my Tele-style guitar from GFS. I don't know how the Slick guits are specifically, but I can say the one I bought had the worst set-up of any guitar I've ever seen. It has been a good guitar for me for quite a while, but be prepared to spend 2-3 hours or $75 to set that thing up.

9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    Wood and GFS do not mix, IMO.

But the pickups and stuff are pretty good.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  10. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    They are a good platform for using power tools on them with reckless abandon. There are cheaper guitars to do this on, but I am happy with the 10,000 hours I spent on my SL59 conversion (to an SL60). Now it's as good as any $300 guitar out there.

Here is the thread in which I discuss the guitar and the work I did: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/slick-makeover-or-lipstick-on-a-pig.613426/

11. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2003
    Spartanburg
    I had one for a bit and kept in open g. It was far superior to any of the Xaviere guitars they've put out. Mine was light, around 6.5 lbs, fretwork was perfect and the only thing I had to do to set it up was drop the saddles and tweak the truss rod. I play with really low action and I never had a buzz or dropout on bends. I sold it to fund some other gear. Can't really say anything bad about it at all. Neck was really thin and super white. The Slick pickups were really really good for rock, not real twangy if that's what you're after.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.