Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

GuitarPractice-Polka Dots and Moonbeams

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by coolbreeze475, May 16, 2018.

1. coolbreeze475

coolbreeze475 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2009
    Grand Rapids Mi.
    Not proud of my playing here, still have a long way to go. Don't always get back immediately but I enjoy your opinion, comments etc. Thanks.

2. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    I like this a lot. Thanks for posting.

coolbreeze475 likes this.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    tough genre to nail , kudos , great tone , my teacher was into soft jazz and taught me alot , but im more of a blues rock player , ( like I'm an island on this site :D:D:D:D ) but some of those chords move very well over the melodic structure , did you have a backing track or was that something you put together ?

I like it !

4. coolbreeze475

Aug 3, 2009
    Grand Rapids Mi.
    Thanks 24 track, my roots are also in blues. I made the backing track by playing my bass over some EZ Drummer measures then played an electric piano chords in the background (on a Korg TR61).

5. coolbreeze475

Aug 3, 2009
    Grand Rapids Mi.
    Thanks Togman.

6. Wayfaring Pilgrim

Wayfaring Pilgrim TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Ireland
    Beautiful. Wasn't wild about the backing track at first but I came around to liking it by the end.

7. decker

decker Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2011
    spain
    Great early morning listening; well done sir.

8. coolbreeze475

Aug 3, 2009
    Grand Rapids Mi.
    Thank You Wayfaring Pilgrim. One of these days I wanna take the time and figure out how to share backing track files to the group.

Wayfaring Pilgrim likes this.

9. coolbreeze475

Aug 3, 2009
    Grand Rapids Mi.
    decker, thank you sir for your comment and your time.

10. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

11. coolbreeze475

Aug 3, 2009
    Grand Rapids Mi.
    Yea I've seen this guys version of it. Don't know what the significance of posting it here was. It seems a little pointed.

This is a stock version, straight from the sheet music with no variation of the melody. What I did was played it stock (so to let people know what the melody is and then putting my fingerprint on it by improvising over the chord changes on the fly). Jazz players tend to embellish the melody thus showing their knowledge of improvisation. One of the biggest characteristics of jazz is improvising over chord changes so when you hear a player play it strictly stock to the sheet then you say "well they had a great guitar tone but didn't show that they knew how to diatonically walk around the neighborhood of notes within the key tonal system of the 2-5-1 changes".

This song is all easy 2-5-1. Specifically it is a 1-6-2-5 in the key of G

GMa7/Emi7/Ami7/ then D7. There's a ending variation resolved by going Emi7, Cm6,Bmi7,Bbmi7,Ami7,D7)

then it goes to the B section which plays practically the same progression only in the key of B (BMa7/G#mi7/C#mi7/F#7). NOTE: This guys playing it in the key of F though which is fine (doesn't matter what key you choose to work in).

He is prettier than I am though but than so are all of you.

Last edited: May 31, 2018

12. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west
    its all good..I just like the simple version too

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.