Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists you like but not a fan of their music.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Area51, Apr 13, 2017.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    We agree!

SubDoc likes this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I completely agree.
    Love Marty!

3. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Richie Kotzen. Fantastic player, but the only thing i've ever really liked was his work with Poison on the Native Tongue album.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems like some of our experiences depend on 2 basic things:

1) Where is this entertainer in the trajectory of this career? Has he achieved so much success and acclaim that, by the time we grow up enough to discover him, he's mostly fulfilling obligations to his fans, his band, his family, his entourage, his record label; his business combine?

2) Is the individual primarily a guitarist, or is he first an Entertainer? I mean, the only person I can think of who is both a superlative guitarist AND a superlative entertainer of a audience of guys like me, would be Richard Thompson. Everyone else is a little weak in one aspect or the other - sometimes more than a little weak.

Thinking about this the other night: More than once, someone who knew told me "Bubba, you're a decent player, sometimes a decent writer.......but you're about the worst entertainer I can think of". Funny, that so little of the words of TDPRI are about entertaining people and if you can't get that part right, the praise we will have for the guitarist will be conditional and in some cases hollow.

5. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Mark Knopfler.

I've watched documentaries about him, read articles,etc, but rarely like his choons.

6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

He did a good solo album 'Change No Change' if you're interested. :)

7. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Jeff Beck.

Also John Frusciante. I'm hit or miss on RHCP material.

David Barnett and fortj3 like this.

8. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    Alex Lifeson. Great guitarist. I love to hear him play.
    BUT, Geddy Lee's voice makes me want to punch a baby.
    However, I love Geddy Lee's bass work. The man is extremely talented. I just wish his voice was, different.

4pickupguy and brookdalebill like this.

9. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    Absolutely. More bends. More feeling. Fewer fretboard acrobatics. It's blues, not speed metal.

BTW, I like speed metal, but I don't like "artists" playing music and calling it a genre it's not.
    Take today's "country" pop crap. What's with the over the top FAKE Southern accents interlaced with crappy pop music?
    What next? Country rap? Oh, wait, that crap actually exists.
    Okay, what next? L'il Wayne "playing" a guit.... er, nope, already done.
    Okay, how about Kanye West (barf) doing an over the top FAKE Southern accent and calling his garbage excuse for music "Country"?

Area51 likes this.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    LOL. I once thought Geddy Lee's voice sounded like munchin from Wizard of Oz.

brookdalebill and fortj3 like this.

11. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I'll add another, Steve Lukather. Man that guy can play. Listen to him with Larry Carlton and wow, both of them actually. His solo stuff just isn't for me.

12. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    John McLaughlin. I am blown away by the complexity of his music, and the talent it takes to play it, but some of it's hard to listen to. It's not "musical" to me. Now if we go back in time to his early days as a jazz guitarist, before the fusion explosion, I find it more enjoyable to listen to. Recordings from this period can be had at used vinyl stores.
    Once again, an amazing guitarist without a doubt, but sometimes he loses me in the complexity of his compositions.

13. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    My philosophical approach to this is much simpler. I'll look at it in terms of food. I'm making one of my favorite dishes tonight for a friend. Some people love it, some just like it, and others won't eat it.

I've read some of my favorite bands and players listed in this thread, people I like for their music as much or more than their guitar playing. It's all good!

Now,,,, I really hope she loves it!

14. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    I love hearing about how some musicians look at the craft. Brian Eno, John Frusciante, Frank Zappa, Santana.. Conceptually, I like HOW they go about their work, but the music itself doesn't speak to me.

15. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    Vince Gill...like the guy, read and listen to his interviews, love his taste in guitars, but not a huge fan of his music.

fortj3 likes this.

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    All fantastic players:
    Oz Noy
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Pat Methany
    Wayne Krantz latest stuff (what happened?)
    Brad Paisley (come on, ditch the Nash-pop)

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    fortj3 likes this.

17. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Mar 10, 2011
    glasgow
    Steve Vai - don't like his solo stuff but love his work with Public Image LTD.

Eric Clapton - never got Eric Clapton until I seen him play at the George Harrison tribute concert

18. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    None.
    Appreciation and like are different. I can accept that someone is an accomplished guitar player without being into what's being played.

19. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    I watch a lot of clips that are posted here and marvel at what the players can do while wishing they were playing different songs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.