Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists you like but not a fan of their music.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Area51, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    What guitarists do you like but their music just doesn't call to you?

One of them for me is John Mayer. When I hear him with just about anyone I really enjoy his playing. Yet is CD's just don't do it for me. They're not bad, but I never hear a song come through when I'm playing my music and think I need to play that album in it's entirety.

It just seems like there is a disconnect between watching him playing with Herbie Hancock at the Grammy's or playing at the R&R Hall of Fame inductions and what I hear on his albums. I just prefer the former.

Grant Austin, Luciano and ponce like this.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    For me it is Joe Bonamassa. I'm a blues fanatic, yet his stuff just does not jibe with me. I really wish it did, so that I could enjoy his great playing.

Another is Johnny Winter. Same issue.

Yeah, I know I'm an idiot, but that is the way it is.

4pickupguy, dented, SubDoc and 8 others like this.

3. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Jeff Beck. He's a fantastic guitar player, but my taste doesn't align with his on much beyond strictly guitar playing.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I don't think you're an idiot. I don't like his music either although I recognize his talent. I recognize Mayer's talent as well but just don't like the music. I wish modern guitarists who play the blues would dial back their distortion and the number of notes they feel compelled to play. It's not a competition or a race.

I really like Brad Paisley's playing but I am just not much into country music.

5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    Joe Pass. The first 2 volumes of solo guitar recordings on Pablo are so technically incredible & beautiful, and I certainly enjoy the small group albums on Pacific. But his playing doesn't grab me in the same way that Grant Green's or Johnny Smith's or Tal Farlow's does.

brbadg and Grant Austin like this.

6. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    Steve Vai. He is a great guitar player but can't write very accessible songs IMHO.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Haaa, I thought of Brad Paisley as well, but country is totally not my thing, so I have not heard him enough to appreciate his playing for me to list him.

I kinda like Mayer, but not enough to go either way. I'd like to see Bonnamassa live just to give him a real chance to swoon me. I think he has something special, I just don't get it ... yet.

8. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    James Valentine. Super cool guy in interviews, and I have his signature Music Man guitar. But the music of his band, Maroon 5, is dull, dull, dull.

9. olewaylon

olewaylon TDPRI Member

May 7, 2015
    Iowa
    Brad Paisley for me also, and I do like country music. His lyrics and songs are just too dumb to listen to. We don't need country songs about cyber dating.

10. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I've seen a lot of Farmer's Only ads, and I live in Baltimore. So apparently we do?

I agree though, it's a sad state of affairs.

11. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Joe Bonamassa
    John Mayer
    Steve Vai
    Jack White
    Alex lifeson
    Marty Stuart
    Eddie VanHalen
    Randy Rhodes

I would love to have the talent and skill of any one of these guys, but I don't really enjoy listening to their playing.

brbadg likes this.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Elliot Easton is a guitarist I could listen to all day, but he's only on Cars records.

Dismalhead likes this.

13. dalto

dalto TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Texas
    Albert Lee. I love watching the guy play and would go to one of his live shows but have no interest in listening to his music. Just not my thing.

brbadg likes this.

14. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting. I agree with all but Marty, whose playing I really enjoy. What don't you like about his playing?

brookdalebill and callasabra like this.

15. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    I absolutely love Marc Ribot's playing with Tom Waits and lately with Diana Krall on her Glad Rag Doll album, but, sadly, his solo stuff doesn't work for me.

16. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    He is very talented, but it doesn't spark something inside of me. There is nothing I can point out and say "he should do this differently." Take Tempted or Burn me Down. Great songs, I have heard 'em a thousand times, but I have never wanted to play them. If they come on the radio, I would change the channel, but I wouldn't seek them out.

17. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I used to read Steve Vai's tips in "Guitar Player". The tips were pretty good and after a time I figured I should probably get some of his music. I bought a CD. At the time I had a 300 disc CD player and I stuck this disc into the rotation. We had folks over for dinner and all of a sudden this noise came out of the speakers-almost like industrial noise. It was Steve Vai.

Lefty Addams and Mistercharlie like this.

18. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Another one for me is Carlos Santana. I like his playing better than most, and he does have some great songs, but as a whole his albums don't do it for me.

19. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    All of the above....except Santana! :D

Many of my favourite players have passed. The music of G.E. Smith, Kenny Wayne Shepard and Eric Johnson doesn't work for me....... but all these guys have chops for days.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.