Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists who aren't taken seriously but deserve to be.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 29, 2017.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I could agree with that except in almost 40 years of playing I've met exactly one player who had awesome chops but hid it from everyone.
    I suppose there may be others though...

2. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Per Nilsson of Kaipa (prog) and Scar Symmetry (metal) fame. Great technique, note selection, phrasing, etc....

3. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    He's been toying with the idea of a solo album so hopefully that'll put him on the map. Better than most of the known Shred heroes because of sheer musicality and creativity but I bet many of you haven't heard his name. Very unique player.

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Not so much that they weren't taken seriously but not recognized for how good they were:

+1 on Bonnie Raite - turned into quite the slide guitarist to go along with everything else she is incredible at.

Harvey Mandel - with John Mayall, Canned Heat, and solo career. Unique and great playing style but didn't get the recognition I feel he deserved.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.

5. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA

6. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    I actually came here to say Bowie isn’t nearly respected enough as a guitar player.

Sure he is respected as a multi-instrumentalist (something like 17?!), a singer, a composer, a lyricist, a frontman, a showman, etc etc. BUT not nearly respected enough as a guitarist!

I think this comes from the fact that often times he played the rhythm guitarist “just playing chords” role on an acoustic, while being overshadowed by legendary guitarist like Mick Ronson, Earl Slick, Gerry Leonard, Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Carlos Alomar, Reeves Gabriel, and even SRV & Niles Rodgers on the Let’s Dance album.

I’d argue he wasn’t “just playing chords”, but maybe that argument would dive into composition as opposed to actual playing. So more to the point: all the guitar work on Bowie’s farewell album to Glam, Diamond Dogs, was done by Bowie. Or take songs like Lazarus from Blackstar where all the guitar work was Bowie as well. I love Bowie’s raw, pseudo-sloppy, almost punk-y approach to guitar and think it isn’t given nearly the credit it’s due.

Edit: as for Bowie “pretending” to play SRV’s parts, I think that was only in the Let’s Dance music video (after SRV had already left the band) and the he never actually tried to take credit. It was likely the video director just telling him to play the solo for the vid.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

7. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    The day he stops doing this... I'd love to take our love/hate relationship to the next level...

Squiltch.png

dlew919 likes this.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I’ve got an interview with Bowie’s producer - tony Visconti and he says that as tragic as the death of Marc bolan was, he likely didn’t have much more in him creatively because he only knew about eight guitar chords. Bowie had hundreds of chords which suggested he’d have a long career

Ekko likes this.

9. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Hey, the riff for Rebel Rebel alone seals the deal for me.

Ekko likes this.

10. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    Looking at what Bolan did with 8 chords, I’d bet he could have done a lot more. Also Bolan’s lead work is underrated in my opinion as well. What he did on the song Monolith with a very subdue and subtle wah is the whole reason my Morley is almost exclusively used over my CryBaby (Granted Bolan didn’t use a Morley, but my PWA gets similar tones, where as my CryBaby is better if I want to pretend I’m Kirk Hammett).

Can I get a link to the interview? Would adore reading about Bowie and Bolan from Tony’s view.

11. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    I’m right there with you. Plus, if it weren’t sealed, they beautifully “sloppy” work on Diamond Dog’s title track always gets me pumped!

DonM likes this.

12. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    It is in a book I no longer can find called 'The Record Producers' by John Tobler and Stuart Grundy from about 1981. It features interviews with George Martin, Tony Visconti, Roy Thomas Baker, Bill Symzcyc,Mickie Most, Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, Glyn Johns, Tom Dowd and an article on Phil Spector.(I must have read it a hundred and twenty times). It was based on a radio show on the BBC, so you might get a recording of it somewhere on the web.

There is a companion volume called the guitar greats, with interviews with B B King, SCotty Moore, James burton, Hank Marvin, Clapton, Beck, Page, Townshend, Ry Cooder, Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Miller, Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh and Brian May. Again, about 1981 (pre Van Halen...). I have it on Kindle. IT is also tremendous.

Ekko likes this.

13. Ghostlyone

Ghostlyone TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Agreed. Not a Vai or Satch, but definitely melodic.

14. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Germany
    Not taken seriously? If you are from Germany, it’s definitely the comedian Helge Schneider:

(need to stop myself from posting more and more...)

Besquire likes this.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I think my nominee kind of explains it. C.C. DeVille. Serious musicians think he's a joke, hard rock fans think he and the band was a joke... but he is a seriously good guitarist who played exactly what the songs required. The hairspray, lipstick and makeup sort of overshadowed his abilities as a musician.

16. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    pennsylvania
    I nominate Mike Nesmith.
    My reasoning is that a lot of people knock the Monkees for not being a real band.
    Mike is actually an accomplished & interesting guitarist. Check out his solo album "And the Hits Just Keep on Comin'". It's just he on guitar accompanied by pedal steel guitarist Red Rhodes.
    And he produced & played with Bert Jansch on the "LA Turnaround" record. Bert himself was impressed with Mike's playing.

brookdalebill and LarryInTexas like this.

17. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2006
    George Thorogood. It's unlikely anyone will mistake him for a world-class shredder. Although I think he's better than he admits to be. But he seems closer to the spirit of early blues, country and rock than a room full of Stevie Ray clones.

3fngrs likes this.

18. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    I know it was a different generation than I grew up in but I was amazed at how many of my musical peers knew what a Les Paul was but had no idea WHO Les Paul was. He and Mary were both amazing players that should have had a lot more recognition beyond the 50's/60's.

19. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    US
    Jerry Reed

brookdalebill and Ekko like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.