Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists who aren't taken seriously but deserve to be.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 29, 2017.

1. jonton2

jonton2 TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston TX

Chris Whitley

Tony Forman likes this.

2. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    One that i always liked was Eric Bell of the early Thin Lizzy, that solo in the Rocker was incredible. To me they were never quite as good when he left the band, plus it is one solo i enjoy playing myself the most.

Plus these three in the Lynryd Skynyrd Band together playing the Freebird solo live, i think it maybe was the best version, and maybe also the best solo ever rock wise at least.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Coming from the country music side....

Those that know, know... but most overlook Willie Nelson.

markjames likes this.

4. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    It is easy not to take Rick Nielsen seriously and he certainly brought much of it on, but I think he is a great rock and roll guitarist guitarist. Robin is also known for his looks but plays very well in the supporting guitar role. Frampton also due to the image he had may not have been taken seriously but is a great player as well.

upload_2017-10-3_20-20-38.jpeg

upload_2017-10-3_20-21-8.jpeg

[​IMG]

Squittolo likes this.

5. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Maybe not so much not taken seriously, but definitely not appreciated by the masses as they should be: Charles Baty, Junior Watson, Hollywood Fats and Kid Ramos

JazzboxBlues likes this.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    He was w Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheel too, during the "Sock It to Me" period.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    edvard
    Thanks for Pajama People. Great guitar from both. As usual Vai could leave out 1/2 his notes and he'd be fine. Where/what is that from?

8. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England

This makes me think of Guitarists who "should" be well-known who most likely are not.

Like a random player I'll note:
    Mike Keneally

9. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Youtube says it's from a "Zappa plays Zappa" DVD. DZ has been doing tours of Frank's music for a few years, only interrupted by family squabbles over rights to the music. See the Wikipedia article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zappa_Plays_Zappa

I agree Steve would do better if he left out a few choice notes, as demonstrated by our hero Dweezil, but then again I couldn't touch either one in the talent department.

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Seen Dweez and the other boys and girl 3 or 4 times. The Marimba player is missed.

11. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    Graham Coxon

Attached Files:

• cox.jpg
      cox.jpg
      File size:
      6.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Pixies2005 and AAT65 like this.

12. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I think that both are highly respected by players, but maybe not by the average music fan.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee

14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Alex Chilton. Not considered a great guitarist, but should be. He could play a pretty good rock solo, and also had a surprising ability to comp, even with jazz standards...

dr_tom likes this.

15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Mike Rutherford. And to add insult to injury, he gets short shrift in discussions about great bassists, too.

AAT65 likes this.

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Angus Young of course. The guy has some serious blues chops, Ride On is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

17. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    True! He came to be a pretty smart lead guitarist, but his real legacy in the 6/12-string world is as an imaginative and skilful rhythm player imho. A lot of early Genesis stuff is propelled along by two or three chords expertly chosen, voiced and picked by Mr Rutherford.
    On bass - yup, a star there too, able to play fast, heavy, delicate, simple - whatever the song needed.

Ron R likes this.

18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    T Bone Burnett. Well known producer and a fabulous guitar player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.