Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists who aren't taken seriously but deserve to be.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Bo Diddley is an underrated genius. I would've lost my mind if I saw him live back in the Lady Bo days .

I listen to him more than almost anybody else from the 50s and 60s . Oh and you can't forget the brilliant black gladiator record from the early 70s

2. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    All the guys in The Knack were monsters in their own way.

I'd nominate Billy Zoom, whose sctick was to play hard parts like it was nothing. When he and Dave Alvin switched places for a while, Dave (who's no slouch) said it was tough learning those parts.

rz350 and Modman68 like this.

3. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    Absolutely....and she was a student of Andres Segovia so she knows her stuff!!

Laura

2 Headed Goat and SecretSquirrel like this.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Everyone I've ever talked to about him thinks he's bad *ss. I've never heard him ridiculed. Not once.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Frank'n'censed and BadMojo like this.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That was needed, but I think it's going in one eye and out the other.

Hexabuzz likes this.

6. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Depends on who you bring the subject up with. Don't mention his name on Harmony Central. TGP is 50/50.

Chip likes this.

7. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    The Hawkins brothers from The Darkness. Pretty much everyone and their Mum thinks they are a joke band; 14 years ago they made a freakishly amazing album but everyone refused to look beyond the jump suits and falsetto vocals. Saw them live 4 years ago and they still kicked major ass.

Bruxist and BadMojo like this.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    WINNER!!!!

RetroTeleRod likes this.

10. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Yeah Rory got respect back then. I was thinking underrated..

11. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    George Terry

Go on, look him up. Be prepared to be shocked that you never heard of this guy.

Tony Forman and Ooba Tooba like this.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Bob Weir was ridiculed by his own band fer chrissakes, not to mention from concert goers .

Chip likes this.

13. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA

14. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    I don't frequent Harmony Central, how's he treated over there? I'm guessing like John Mayer on TDPRI.

15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Ah, I see. Yeah that sounds true. He was kind of one of the Bakersfield guys though, right? Nashville hated them. (Edit: I'm so dumb, I read "roy" and was talking about Roy Clark. Sorry)

16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I stand by it. I can't think of a more innovative guitar player from this era. He's not a shredder, but he uses his tools in new ways. Just like Hendrix.

Keith Richards was an awesome rock guitar player. But he wasn't doing anything new. Eric Clapton was great. But it was a very traditional guitar technique. Few guitarists today own their sound the way this guy does. Hes just immediately recognizable. Like him or not, he deserves respect.

I'm sure I know how you feel. I hate new country music. Hate. Hate. Hate. But I've gotta begrudgingly give props to brad paisley or Keith urban. Still not gonna buy their albums.

Minimalist518 likes this.

17. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Hate to burst any bubbles out there but I think Steve Lukather might have been responsible for that and many other ones besides. Lot of studio replacement guys sittin for the stars even in the 80s. Been going on since the 50s. I know Mick Mars got sat down for some of the bands tunes. Hard to cut it in the studio if all you know is stage and rehearsals.
    Just sayin.

I'd say George Harrison wasn't taken too seriously at least by me. I thought he was just aping Chet Atkins and Merle Travis and those guys. But later when he came out with his own first album he was killin. I thought it was Eric standing in for some of it but I was wrong.

JuneauMike likes this.

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    See, my problem is that people keep taking me literally instead of seriously.

My vote is Tommy Smothers:

19. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That's a very good way to describe it. Yes, he gets a beating from the majority.

20. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland

+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.