Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists who amaze and confuse you...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soulgeezer, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead still baffles me with changes in meter, triplets over 4/4 ("2+2=5"), and the use of a Fender solid state amp for his distorted sounds. The guy had to wear an arm brace for a while just to compensate for injuries sustained while playing.

awasson likes this.

2. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    I would say that's partly right. The arc of the lines they construct also stylistically identify the great players.

8barlouie and gtrplr like this.

3. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic

May 20, 2003
    Lots of great players have been mentioned already, so I'll go out in left field a bit. I don't know who these two are, but they blow me away.

gregorypause and brookdalebill like this.

4. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My old mate Kev continues to amaze and confuse me....

I've known him most of my life and sat in his back shed learning my first chords on his cheesecutter of a semi.... no amp... during highschool days...

He lost his left forearm in a grain auger accident when he was 19....

He soon learned to play on a flipped righty, learning those crazy upside down chord shapes and strumming/picking with a rig he made for his stump to hold a pick....

Impossible to follow what he's playing during a jam by watching his changes... you just have to use your ears to go with it...

We just had a jam recently, it was so good to play with him after all these years... on Bass..like old times,,,.;)

Kev.jpg

5. viper007

viper007 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Sweden
    Jim Campilongo.

Geoff738 and brookdalebill like this.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Bireli Lagrène

some guys are just in another universe

brookdalebill likes this.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    He just gets better and better.
    He started out great!

ndcaster likes this.

8. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2009
    Okinawa, Japan
    Lately, Nels Cline

drlucky and brookdalebill like this.

9. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    Ritchie Kotzen...his style is just so his style...lol and he can do it all. Listening to the Winery Dogs, at times, he reminds me of a modern Hendrix with clean technique but with all the mystery that makes it magical...and to top it off...his voice...lol.

brookdalebill likes this.

10. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

JJ Cale. Not a complicated player, but he had his own unique and instantly identifiable style, which I can't cop at all.

11. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Jeff Beck.

I've seen him live and watched countless youtube videos and I still have no idea how to do some of things he does with his guitars.

I've played Strats for close to 40 years and have yet to find those notes on/in any of my guitars.

8barlouie, brookdalebill and RLee77 like this.

12. rhythmos

rhythmos TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    World
    Actually just posted him in another thread, but the early years of Matt Bellamy from Muse still drops my jaw every time I stumble across one of their live videos. It's like the guitar was an extension of his body. Nothing he played was that complex but I'd trade knowledge for that freedom.

The guy was 21 and playing lead and rhythm (REALLY watch this one to see what I mean by freedom) at the same time so easily sometimes he would pop a huge lick or bend a note so out of the blue you'd be looking for another guitar player, who doesn't exist. To this day I don't think I've seen someone being so good at playing lead while strumming every string as that guy, probably got it by being in a three piece and had to make noise by any means possible? ahah

To me it's weird how someone that young could have that control over a guitar. How did a 20 year old come up with this solo, live and on the spot (on the record it's different)? And specially, how did he make it look so easy, like when he just takes the hands of the guitar and the noise just fits perfectly

(all links with time stamps, just click on them to see what i'm talking about.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

13. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

Don't be confused. That voice in your head saying "This is a hoax", has got it right...

14. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Clarence White, Jim Campilongo, Jimi Hendrix, to name a few. There's a guy in my area (Fresno) named Richie Blue that I'd have to include. Incredible player, can make you swear you're hearing pedal steel (with or without a B-bender), can play jazz, blues, you name it. Also a super nice guy. We're lucky to have him around!

8barlouie likes this.

15. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Mick Taylor does it for me. All of the guys mentioned previously are amazing and each mentioned is deserving for each of our personal reasons. While MT is not the technical genius 95% of the aforementioned are, his musicality is what blows me away. I like Page better as a rock n roll guitarist, but MT's phrasing is so uniquely melodic - trying to duplicate it is near impossible. I've tried some of his runs and can't do it with his feeling. I'd be curious if anyone can suggest a guitar player that sounds like MT.

Then there was a discussion of vibrato earlier on this thread. MT's vibrato is to me nearly unsurpassed, it is signature his.

Then to top it off, he plays slide in standard tuning. Are you kidding? That alone, to me at least, feels nearly impossible to do.

At the end of the day, he's another blues rock guitarist that can't touch the likes of many of the prodigies mentioned earlier, but for what I'm into musically, he's tough to beat.

And I'm not really even a big Stones fan.

Rasmuth likes this.

16. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB

17. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    I posted Richie Kotzen earlier, but I almost said Mick Taylor. Love everything about how he plays...Everytime I listen to "Get yer Ya Ya's Out"....I just shake my head at how terrific he is and how well Keef played with him. I've always been of the opinion that Keith never played better than with Mick Taylor, because....he had too...the guy was so damn good. Hell, the whole band seemed to elevate when he was with them.

And slide in standard tuning...I actually mostly play slide in standard tuning...it's really not too difficult, but less forgiving than other slide friendly tunings. (Of courser I'm just a hack, but....for what it's worth, lol)

Telecasterless likes this.

18. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That's pretty awe inspiring stuff. And dedication to the craft. A HUGE thumbs up from me.

I remember a (right handed) bass player many years ago who lost his left index finger. So he converted to a lefty, and used his left middle and ring fingers to pluck the strings. Back then I though - "now that's dedication to the instrument!"

trev333 likes this.

19. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    +1 Belew
    Weird but tasteful. Always musical. Never style over substance. But god knows where some of those amazing noises come from.

20. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I saw him live in a small theatre at Berkeley High School a long time ago. Amazing show. Blown away amazing. After the show I was walking a block or two away from the venue and there he was, all alone, putting his guitar in the trunk of his BMW, I stopped and said hello and told him how much I enjoyed the show. He was quite nice and thanked me. I was quite upset when he died. A true legend snuffed out.

By the way, Leo Kottke opened for him. Another amazing treat that night.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.